Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Level 2 charger be unplugged during an AC power outage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there is an AC power outage in my home, should I leave my Level 2 Charge Point charger plugged into my 2019 Model 3? Will it discharge the battery, or will the charge level remain the same until power is restored? I understand that there is always a marginal amount of the battery's power used for misc. as the car sits in my garage, even when it is plugged into the charger and AC power is being successfully delivered. Any tips or special considerations for this situation?

Just be aware that Tesla may require you to unplug/replug after charging disruption. Otherwise, it may not resume charging when the power comes back.
That's not how it works. There's a random multi-minute timer built into the charger per Page 8 of the HPWC manual. "charging will automatically resume within 1 to 3 minutes after power restoration" is the actual quote.

That's not how it works. There's a random multi-minute timer built into the charger per Page 8 of the HPWC manual. "charging will automatically resume within 1 to 3 minutes after power restoration" is the actual quote.

It's the car not the EVSE that may require the unplug/replug to resume charging. I have seen this multiple times when there is charging disruption due to unstable/interrupted power.