Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should LFP batteries be charged to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a really interesting read and about the best explanation I've came across.

It also makes me happier about my plan of keeping my Tesla Model 3 SR+ MIC I've ordered until it literally stops working some day in the far far away future.
Likewise, I drive about 5000 miles a year. So the M3 battery should be good for 20 years.... when I'll be 90.
IF I'm still here.
So, my last car????

Reactions: Darmie
As I understand it MIC cars/LFP batteries remove the whole “daily” and “trip” advisories on charging, which would suggest that it’s fine to charge them to 100% every time.

As said above this would have an effect on regenerative braking.

The NCA batteries can be charged to 100%, my understanding is that the advice is not to leave it at a high SoC for extended periods. That being said I believe you get a warning popup in the car if you charge to 100% for 3 consecutive days.

I supposedly took delivery of an LFP SR+. My delivery sales person was not particularly confident when I asked that question. In the waiting room thread, a couple users have suggested that some of the cars recently delivered have actually been NIC vehicles on canceled orders. So, I’m wondering how to tell whether my car is actually an LFP battery pack car. When I plugged it in at home, and selected the charge limit of 100%, I did NOT see a “daily” and “trip” advisory. Perhaps that is a good indicator that I do indeed have an LFP vehicle?

I supposedly took delivery of an LFP SR+. My delivery sales person was not particularly confident when I asked that question. In the waiting room thread, a couple users have suggested that some of the cars recently delivered have actually been NIC vehicles on canceled orders. So, I’m wondering how to tell whether my car is actually an LFP battery pack car. When I plugged it in at home, and selected the charge limit of 100%, I did NOT see a “daily” and “trip” advisory. Perhaps that is a good indicator that I do indeed have an LFP vehicle?
I think that is what I've seen referred to also. No daily/trip limits = LFP.

Can anyone with a LFP car confirm this please? Does the GOM range in miles / km increase? Thanks
Mine shows 264 (miles) range after a 100% charge, the same as it showed when I collected it 6 months ago.
I don’t consider that reading to be particularly relevant, what matters is what you actually achieve, that of course varies every time you drive (subject to all the factors that determine what range you get (such as ambient temperature, rain/ dry roads, speed you drive at, etc etc)
I’m unable to tell you if that range has changed following any of the OTA updates I’ve had since I collected the car.
The buffer may have decreased by 4 kWh but due to the miriad of factors controlling actual range I believe it’s impossible to say if any additional (or less) achieved range might be due to buffer reduction or other controlling factors.

Reactions: SR-Plus and Adopado
Thanks for your replies.
I currently have a Fremont car so I understand that the range can vary depending on conditions and use but that’s a good start if it shows 264 initially.
On one road trip my car showed 223 on a 100% charge but I was able to get around 235 with some careful driving.

So, I’m wondering how to tell whether my car is actually an LFP battery pack car
The European owners manual is clear on how to determine if you have an LFP battery pack:

1631554724105.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I'd assume that when the manual gets its next update it will include that section as some US vehicles are now being supplied with LFP packs.

Here is the additional detail applicable to LFP vehicles:

View attachment 708910
View attachment 708912
Super helpful. Thank you. I expect one reason they recommend to charge to 100% at least once a week is that the LFP battery voltage does not drop significantly as the battery discharges, making it difficult for the car to calculate range. Fully charging once in a while gives the car more data to calculate range.

Reactions: Puzuk
Our Fiesta only does 50mpg; what happened to the other 20mpg I paid for? [Just an inappropriate jest ... but ... you know ... ;) ] In truth the electric car world probably does slightly better than the petrol world in representing its ranges but we're working with smaller margins so, understandably, it does make us panic a bit!
This 👆👆👆
Difference in range between advertised and achieved is not an electric car problem!

Besides, my last ICE car only had a range IRL of 290 miles, and it was costing £85 to fill up every time. I'll panic far less about using 'fuel' when I pick up my M3 on Wednesday.

Reactions: GSP
Yes, Elon has stated that the new battery is fine charged to 100% regularly. Obviously if you do this regen braking wont be in full effect.
Eh? Why would regen braking not be in full effect?
Unless you fully charge and then immediately start rolling down a hill, you should have used more energy to get up to your speed than you can recover with regen (it isn't 100% efficient) - so it's not as though the battery would be too full to take back the energy.
Am I missing something?

Unless you fully charge and then immediately start rolling down a hill, you should have used more energy to get up to your speed than you can recover with regen (it isn't 100% efficient) - so it's not as though the battery would be too full to take back the energy.
Am I missing something?

Possibly because regen strength doesn't have linear correlation with the SoC. I don't know for sure but it seems plausible that at high SoC like 95%+ there would be some drop off.

Am I missing something?
At max. regen the energy created is more than can safely be put into the battery pack when it is almost fully charged. The charge rate has to be greatly reduced to avoid overcharging individual cells.

Reactions: Adopado
What usable capacity do you think you’re Mic LFP has? Ive got a 2021 SR+ Mic which was delivered on the 30th Sep. I’ve done 500 miles and it’s bloody fast and very efficient. My first 500 miles have been around 200wh/mi.

But……

On my current charge I’ve averaged 186wh/mi, covering 70 miles and used 29% (13kWh). Unless my Maths is out that only gives me a 44-45kWh battery. I thought these were 55kWh with a usable around 53kWH? I’m up to date with software.

The Energy graph is predicting 212mi and the basic range display is 184mi remaining.

Effectively the % seems the odd one out.

Thoughts?