Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla move M3 reservations to a realistic time closer to actual release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they can say that the car would have autonomy capable hardware without stating when the car would be able to fully drive itself. This strategy worked well, I think, with autopilot, thus there is no reason not to repeat the history again.

I think they can say that the car would have autonomy capable hardware without stating when the car would be able to fully drive itself. This strategy worked well, I think, with autopilot, thus there is no reason not to repeat the history again.
True, but there were TMC threads flaming Tesla for doing exactly that. They sold a car promising autopilot in "2 to 3 months", then it took nearly a year for Tesla to actually enable that feature. The forum was full of complaints about buying a car with a promised feature that had yet to be enabled.

I think that if they sold a car with the promise of autonomy-ready, it better be usable then and there. The Model 3 is going to have far too much visibility to risk that kind of bad publicity. The public at large certainly should not hear about Tesla not making good on promises, and I'm concerned that's what would happen if promises are made on pending Model 3 features and timelines slip.

If Tesla makes the Model 3 autonomous-ready, they should never tell the public about it until it's deployed. Sure, the can say they're working on it (which they are), but that's as much as they should say until it's released. If they came out a year into production and said, "You didn't know it, but your Model 3 already has the hardware to use this amazing feature," owners would then praise Tesla instead of flaming them.

True, but there were TMC threads flaming Tesla for doing exactly that. They sold a car promising autopilot in "2 to 3 months", then it took nearly a year for Tesla to actually enable that feature. The forum was full of complaints about buying a car with a promised feature that had yet to be enabled.

I think that if they sold a car with the promise of autonomy-ready, it better be usable then and there. The Model 3 is going to have far too much visibility to risk that kind of bad publicity. The public at large certainly should not hear about Tesla not making good on promises, and I'm concerned that's what would happen if promises are made on pending Model 3 features and timelines slip.

If Tesla makes the Model 3 autonomous-ready, they should never tell the public about it until it's deployed. Sure, the can say they're working on it (which they are), but that's as much as they should say until it's released. If they came out a year into production and said, "You didn't know it, but your Model 3 already has the hardware to use this amazing feature," owners would then praise Tesla instead of flaming them.

I think it's a fine line. I think it's very likely Tesla and other auto makers will have autonomous cars ready before governments have laws and regulations in place to accommodate them. I think they'll have to tell the public about it to get governments to act on what to do about it.

I have a feeling Tesla has a pretty good idea of what hardware will be required for full autonomy. The question becomes when is it feasible to equip the cars with the hardware knowing that it will be many years before the software will be ready and even longer for the regulations.

First: If Tesla opened for putting down deposit today, the media would just say that Tesla is so desperate for money that they even let people pay deposit for a car that they don't even have a prototype for. So no, Tesla should definitely not open that wormhole until they have shown us the car.

And then - if I did put down a deposit today, about 2 years before the production start (if it's not delayed), how much earlier will I get the car comparing with on that reserves the car let's say 1 month before production start?
- I will NOT be ordering a signature. So far "Founders" and "Signatures" are first in line, even if they get in the line just month before production start.
- I live in Europe, and so far it seems like the European marked will only get they cars until the reservations in NA is more or less "used up". A car reserved in NA one month before production start may very well get their car before me.
- I will NOT be ordering a "P110Q" with all the bells and whistles. So far it looks like Tesla is prioritizing it's deliveries on price/options. A "P110Q" ordered in Norway one month before production start may very well get their car before me (if I order a "bare bone" car).

So the value of "an earlier production slot" is rather questionable for me - even if I want that car delivered ASP! Preferably yesterday! ;)

... but I would probably put down my deposit as soon as I can anyway :p

Likewise, I'm a European customer too. Did wonder what sort of differences there would be in terms of launch dates. Sooner the better for me - was thinking of replacing my car next year and further delays is going to end up with me in an i3 or a Hyundai I-oniq.