Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should We Be Concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most stores are located in malls that can't be used for service centers, which require drive-in access for vehicles.

What will likely happen is for Tesla to close the stores, lay off most of the staff, transfer a few to Service Centers to provide front desk support, and then increase their investment in mobile service, plus potentially have a few people available for a limited number of test drives from service centers.

Tesla's biggest problems today are with post-delivery - increasing service and customer support and expanding superchargers.

Tesla must have the data to give them confidence shutting down the stores won't significantly impact sales...

Tesla needs to vastly improve the quality (HW and SW) of their cars. A car company can go ahead and build the best service infrastructure but the customers at some point will get fed up with the repeated service visits due to lack of quality and go elsewhere. I'm hoping this will improve soon.

Most stores are located in malls that can't be used for service centers, which require drive-in access for vehicles.

What will likely happen is for Tesla to close the stores, lay off most of the staff, transfer a few to Service Centers to provide front desk support, and then increase their investment in mobile service, plus potentially have a few people available for a limited number of test drives from service centers.

Tesla's biggest problems today are with post-delivery - increasing service and customer support and expanding superchargers.

Tesla must have the data to give them confidence shutting down the stores won't significantly impact sales...

Not many, I suppose in malls, but there are certainly manyl stores that could likely be converted to service centers, if the on line only sales model is fulfilled.

Thank you very much

FURY

When is the last time you, anyone here, has been in a Best Buy and actually asked a question....honestly can’t remember the last time for me. I haven’t visited a brick and mortar for electronics in forever. I do believe the same will be true fir cars, maybe sooner than later. The sales people almost always are at 1/2 the knowledge base you are at \i/
It's not about asking questions about the product, but the process. For example, a year ago I bought a Tesla, delivery times were 5 months out (some shutdown or Euro run I the factory). Online I couldn't find an inventory car close to what I wanted, needed a sales person to 1)find it and 2)remove EAP because I didn't want it. For all 4 Teslas I bought the sales person was required to help figure out trade-in and financing, and to get any updates of the production/delivery process - online was useless for any of that. The only thing online is great for is if you're buying a Tesla with cash, have no trade-in, and don't care when exactly it will be delivered.

It’s a legitimate question. I’m very happy with the overall quality of my car. There are a few issues, of course, but nothing that I consider egregious.

HW: Trim fit and finish, all other components the SC keep replacing (hence swamped by the generated workload)
SW: Lack of sufficient testing, regression issues

Last edited:
HW: Trim fit and finish, components the SC keep replacing (hence swamped by the generated workload)
SW: Lack of sufficient testing, regression issues
I'll grant you that the software can use improvement (and V9 is just plain awful from a user interface perspective), but the number of times I've won car shows indicates that there's no issue with fit an finish. My S85 has been as reliable, or more reliable than other cars I've had.

Reactions: Duffer and outdoors
What about explaining to regular driver why she/he should buy EV/Tesla. I use to have 2011 Leaf, but in no hurry to get another EV. I guess someone should explain cost and other benefits of EV comparing to plug in hybrid, hybrid and regular ICE. I think Tesla website statement is not really informative “Price after Est. Savings”. What is the benefit of taking for example M3 for long trip, is use of superchargers still free? Now is about time to try to convince regular buyer why changing what we drive is important. I am not convinced if just saying climate change, savings is going to convince many and I case of Tesla car wont be available to kick tire before buying.

you're right, that was a simplistic answer. However, I have never found a sales person who gave me satisfactory answers about my car questions when I was looking and it finally ended up being a combination of reading the forums and talking to owners before I made up my mind. I took delivery at the factory and had to show the DS, many of the features he was trying to show me :)

BTW, someone making an app that will connect owners with potential buyers...

What about explaining to regular driver why she/he should buy EV/Tesla. I use to have 2011 Leaf, but in no hurry to get another EV. I guess someone should explain cost and other benefits of EV comparing to plug in hybrid, hybrid and regular ICE.

The problem with this approach is that by putting cost first and foremost, it's implied that you are giving up something to save money. Giving up something is not the way to get most people to change. Focusing on the better driving experience, the convenience of not having to go to a filling station, the reduced complexity, and respiratory issues such as asthma should always be first, and then a small amount about cost.

I have no concern about this move and I can understand why Tesla did it. However, store closures in any industry usually signals trouble for the company so I understand why some are concerned. I believe this is a good move for Tesla and I expect other startups to follow the same sales model.

All of them pretty much documented in this forum over the years. All cars have issues of course, but as Tesla owners we all want Tesla to do better. I love my Tesla and planning to keep it for years to come.

And as to the title of this thread "Should We Be Concerned?", I'm not and we should not overreact.
The naysayers have been predicting bankruptcy nonstop since 2008. Now that Tesla is in a position where Wall Street money is no longer necessary, you can expect the pundits to be even more scathing because they aren't getting any revenue from Tesla. Pundits are not in it for your good, they say what will profit them.

I have visited Tesla show rooms in over 20 states. They r useless, children under the age of 25 that have no clue how to sell a technically advanced iPad on wheels. They didn't know what a ROI is. They need ONE very savy geezer who knows this car inside out and how to market it. Not kids who try to sell an iPad. This is not an Apple store. Kids cant sell $100k cars to kids.

I am a little bit concerned. There is clearly a bit of a demand issue. And Tesla is responding with price cuts... which is the absolute last means of stimulating sales that you want to use. Closing all of the stores seems like a Musk-ian reactionary action that has the potential to do a lot of damage.

These actions definitely show that there's still a lot of chaos below behind closed doors. They need to get past that.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
The naysayers have been predicting bankruptcy nonstop since 2008. Now that Tesla is in a position where Wall Street money is no longer necessary, you can expect the pundits to be even more scathing because they aren't getting any revenue from Tesla. Pundits are not in it for your good, they say what will profit them.

Absolutely. I'm sure Tesla has enough data to back up their decision announced few days ago (the topic of the concern per this thread). Successful companies make corrections all the time. If one reads the transcript of the call, it's different from what the naysayers wish you to believe.

I have visited Tesla show rooms in over 20 states. They r useless, children under the age of 25 that have no clue how to sell a technically advanced iPad on wheels. They didn't know what a ROI is. They need ONE very savy geezer who knows this car inside out and how to market it. Not kids who try to sell an iPad. This is not an Apple store. Kids cant sell $100k cars to kids.

They need a place that people can see and sit in the cars.

I like watching people in these sorts of situations and see what makes them tick as they move toward buying something like this. Often, when they get into the car, you can tell that they're already 90% there. But they don't make the decision until they feel the seats, look at the dash and visualize themselves on the road. And sometimes it's little things - like the satisfying thunk as the door closes. You just can't get that online.

And then they want SOMEBODY to talk to. Non-technical people want to understand about charging, range and so-on. Sure there's a place for online research. But not everybody wants to do that. Tesla is no longer just selling to enthusiasts and early adopters. They're starting to move into the mass market and that group thinks differently.