Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should you ever replace your windshield on an AP2 car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...like if, as in my case, some truck throws up a giant rock and the impact is so loud you almost drive off the road...

Driving back from Fry's Electronics in Roseville, CA to Reno along Highway 80. POW. Big divot out of windshield, crack was 2 feet long by the time I got home.

No problem! Call Tesla, nice person from Gigafactory comes out with a flatbed truck to take my car in for repair (the Gigafactory has a repair center, although you can't visit it personally). Got an email estimate for $1200 or so the same day.

Fortunately I read the estimate details because they included a "rain sensor" replacement for over $100. Now, as we all know, AP2 cars don't have rain sensors (wish they did, because the "let's do some image analysis and figure out if we're trying to look through raindrops" feature doesn't work as well, but that's another rant).

Called my service advisor and reminded him that AP2 cars don't have rain sensors. Oddly he seemed a little confused by my assertion but did eventually agree to remove the charge. Got car back the next day with new windshield, all is good.

So should you ever need to replace a windshield on your AP2 car, make sure you're not charged for a rain sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and dduffey
Im confused. Sorry for being a noob. I get my Model S this saturday. However last month I had a P100D as a loaner. The newest cars have AP2 right? If so, then the P100D did indeed have rain sensors. As I am expecting my new S to have them as well.

Im confused. Sorry for being a noob. I get my Model S this saturday. However last month I had a P100D as a loaner. The newest cars have AP2 right? If so, then the P100D did indeed have rain sensors. As I am expecting my new S to have them as well.
AP2 handles rain sensing with the Autopilot cameras. AP1 has an actual rain sensor like most vehicles with rain sensing wipers.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: MarkKW and SpudLime
.(wish they did, because the "let's do some image analysis and figure out if we're trying to look through raindrops" feature doesn't work as well, but that's another rant).

My 2013 S (pre-Autopilot) had a traditional rain sensor. It didn't work any better than the camera system does on my 2018 X. Not sure why Tesla can't seem to figure this out.