Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shouldn't Tesla deduct my Trade-in before taxes are calculated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Investor9872

White Ext/Int MY LR, EDD December 2022
Apr 12, 2022
SoCal
I had ordered a MY LR at the end of March, with an EDD of Oct. - Jan. 2023. Today I completed and accepted my trade-in with Tesla. Upon reviewing the amount owed, I noticed that Tesla did not deduct my trade-in before calculating the sales tax.

From everything that I've read, and like all other dealerships, Tesla was supposed to deduct my trade-in value before calculating the sales tax of my Tesla vehicle, saving me on taxes. I've tried to contact Tesla, but there's no where to email or a phone number for me to contact them with. I'm still at least 5 months out from the EDD, so I don't have a SA to contact. Please advise.

Libertarian car dealership= no contact, no service, welcome to the world of Tesla

love the car, the man,,,not much.
Not 100% true. The tax process is entirely depends on your state, not Tesla. Also, your order page lists the phone number that you call and ask anything.
"The man" is the only reason that you are driving your Tesla.

I had ordered a MY LR at the end of March, with an EDD of Oct. - Jan. 2023. Today I completed and accepted my trade-in with Tesla. Upon reviewing the amount owed, I noticed that Tesla did not deduct my trade-in before calculating the sales tax.

From everything that I've read, and like all other dealerships, Tesla was supposed to deduct my trade-in value before calculating the sales tax of my Tesla vehicle, saving me on taxes. I've tried to contact Tesla, but there's no where to email or a phone number for me to contact them with. I'm still at least 5 months out from the EDD, so I don't have a SA to contact. Please advise.
From your previous posts, you mentioned your location is SoCal. California is one of the states that does not reduce sales tax from trade ins and calculated on full amount.

From your previous posts, you mentioned your location is SoCal. California is one of the states that does not reduce sales tax from trade ins and calculated on full amount.
and when you buy a used car, you pay sales tax on the purchase amount. Do other states not do this? CA gets its cut every time the vehicle changes hands. It encourages understating the sales price (both parties must conform), but if you try to take it too far, DMV might try to use market price estimate.

In Nebraska, every car I've ever traded in was deducted from the sale price. Then I pay the dealer the difference. New car I would only pay taxes on the final price I paid for the car, which wouldn't include the trade in value.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla does when I go pick up my M3P in 3 weeks or so (EDD May 18th - June 1st) in Kansas City.

In Nebraska, every car I've ever traded in was deducted from the sale price. Then I pay the dealer the difference. New car I would only pay taxes on the final price I paid for the car, which wouldn't include the trade in value.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla does when I go pick up my M3P in 3 weeks or so (EDD May 18th - June 1st) in Kansas City.
I meant to say WOULD include the trade in value. New car 75k -25k trade in = I pay taxes on 50k.

Pick up from Nevada (Las Vegas) - they deduct trade-in value. Ask first tho if they do for California registration.

Reactions: Investor9872