Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show off your aftermarket wheels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New non-standard color on my Vossen rims after I got them soda balasted and painted - bronze.

Vossen VFS-2, front 9x20 and rear 10x20.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, front 245/40R20 and rear 265/40R20

8187B404-66B0-42F7-A7A3-2981EACD878C.jpeg

what offsets did you get?

Front:
21x9, +32, 245/35

Rear:
21x10.5, +38, 285/30

Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and unless I'm missing it, only the fronts are the acoustic foam version.

Haven't driven yet but don't expect any issues. They're definitely more flush with the fender on the outside. At least the interior of the fenders on the S is rolled sheet metal unlike other cars I had that shredded the sidewalls if there was any rubbing :p

lot of people have that issue with spacers, you prob need to grind down the fender vents if the rubbing bothers you.

To be clear, I'm not running spacers, but you're saying the 9 inch wide, +32 offset (vs OEM +40 on an 8.5") is the cause? If my math is right, the OEM 21" wheels come out to (8.5 * 25.4 / 2) - 40mm = 67.95mm from the hub. TSportline's 21" wheels are 21x9 +35, so 79.3mm from the hub. And mine are 82.3mm from the hub, so it's like running a 15mm spacer with the OEM wheels? It's kinda frustrating - I was hoping not to deal with any rubbing issues, but I didn't double check the math on the size recommendation when ordering.

When you say grind down - do you mean like taking a dremel and notching out the fender vents?

Appears I spoke too soon. Went to back out and drive to work this morning and the fronts rub the front fender liner when turned 80%. Didn't have time to do much investigating. Tire size is standard for 21s but I'm suspecting an offset issue.

My front offset is +30 on my 22's with no rub, so offset isn't your problem. There are two things to look at:

1) Caster measurements. I can see in your picture that your caster angle is pretty positive, which puts your wheel too far forward in the wheel well. Very common on the S for some reason, and adjustable on the lower front control arm...the front bolt has a cam on it that allows for a little adjustment. An alignment shop can dial it back to closer to 4 or 4.5 degrees (spec), and that'll move the hub assembly a bit farther back in your wheel arch. That should fix the problem. Mine is at 4.6 left/right, and no rubbing.

2) If not, then:

When you say grind down - do you mean like taking a dremel and notching out the fender vents?

Yes. The noise you hear in reverse is the tread on your tire catching the fins in the fender liner. This is VERY common in the S. You can either shave them down, or cut them out - I'd recommend just shaving them first. It's just a piece of plastic, it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: serendipitous
To be clear, I'm not running spacers, but you're saying the 9 inch wide, +32 offset (vs OEM +40 on an 8.5") is the cause? If my math is right, the OEM 21" wheels come out to (8.5 * 25.4 / 2) - 40mm = 67.95mm from the hub. TSportline's 21" wheels are 21x9 +35, so 79.3mm from the hub. And mine are 82.3mm from the hub, so it's like running a 15mm spacer with the OEM wheels? It's kinda frustrating - I was hoping not to deal with any rubbing issues, but I didn't double check the math on the size recommendation when ordering.

I'm aware you dont have spacers I'm saying if you're rubbing on reverse the problem is probably the tire hitting the fender liner fender vents. I had similar issue running the stock turbines with 21" and 20mm spacers but this helped. MS P85D wheel spacers? otherwise people have suggested getting an alignment and possibly the caster can help. I'm running same size and offset but in 20" and I dont have rubbing but it could also be because I've already modified my fender liner.

• Informative
Reactions: serendipitous
My front offset is +30 on my 22's with no rub, so offset isn't your problem. There are two things to look at:

Many thanks to you both! Greatly appreciate your help. I did notice the caster seemed aggressive but never thought anything of it since I'd had the car aligned at the service center right after buying it (to fix a steering alignment issue) and figured that was just how it was supposed to be. I'll chase down these options.

Many thanks to you both! Greatly appreciate your help. I did notice the caster seemed aggressive but never thought anything of it since I'd had the car aligned at the service center right after buying it (to fix a steering alignment issue) and figured that was just how it was supposed to be. I'll chase down these options.

The Service Center did an alignment for me recently and actually left me with Caster values that were way out of spec. They basically just reset the adjustment cam to center position and called it a day. I think I was at 4.75 Left and 5.3 Right, or something like that. Caster should be within .3 or you'll have a measurable setback and your car will pull to one side (and rub, more than likely). I had to go to a local performance shop to correct it.

@serendipitous

Looks great! Hope you get the rubbing issues sorted out quickly. I have the same wheels in 20" on order with GYW -- how long did it take you to get yours? Expecting things to be a bit delayed these days.

I ordered Feb 27th, they made it to GYW and were mounted and shipped out May 13th, and I got them on the east coast on May 20th. I expected a long wait based on reports here and my cruddy timing. 12 weeks total.

I used my heat gun to soften the liners and smoosh them in slightly and things are basically good. There's slight rubbing in reverse at specific angles but it's very mild now. I plan to take it to my local performance shop (didn't think I'd ever go back to them after getting my Tesla) for an alignment when I get a chance.

• Informative
Reactions: Dukeybootie