Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder on the raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record: 18k+ miles...took delivery June 6th 2019, performance model with all options. I have never had any shutter or any driving/riding issues. Smiling widely, regularly use ludicrous mode when "needed" and have exceeded 120mph with no issues to report.

Reactions: wreighven
Well, the car has been at the service center here in Costa Mesa since Wednesday afternoon. So 2 1/2 days.
When I dropped off the car I drove with a service guy to verify the shudder, and he confirmed the issue in 2 minutes.
I had a service appointment that I booked 2 weeks ago so they knew I was coming in with a shudder problem.
But as of Friday night, all I have heard from my rep is that the car is in “diagnostic” and thanks for my patience.
I provided a nice model S as a loaner but Hope I to get my car back soon
Thanks for listening

1 month old 2020 Model X LR "Raven" on normal 20" wheels:

Suspension on "Standard" = shudder
Suspension on "Low" = no shudder whatsoever

since day 1. Tires (winter or summer) have proven to be irrelevant.

So I simply ride on "low" all the time which is what I prefer anyway as the steering is a bit crisper and tighter than on Standard height. I knew this problem would exist when I bought the car. It was no reason to not upgrade from my S85 to the X.

Got the car back on Tuesday and it wasn’t fixed, invoice said everything was checked and nothing was loose.
see attached ;

Concern: Customer States: Shudder during hard acceleration, hears noise from front of vehicle.Technicians verified rattling noise during test drive. Technicians check suspension and verified that nothing is loose. Rattling noise is a known concern and is currently under investigation at this time. No further repairs are needed at this time.

So it appears they don’t have fix for shudder at hard acceleration at this time.
Still think this is the best car I have ever driven, so I just lower the suspension when I want to show off to my friends

1 month old 2020 Model X LR "Raven" on normal 20" wheels:

Suspension on "Standard" = shudder
Suspension on "Low" = no shudder whatsoever

since day 1. Tires (winter or summer) have proven to be irrelevant.

So I simply ride on "low" all the time which is what I prefer anyway as the steering is a bit crisper and tighter than on Standard height. I knew this problem would exist when I bought the car. It was no reason to not upgrade from my S85 to the X.
You will get premature tire wear driving on low.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricSteve
You will get premature tire wear driving on low.

Source?

85% of my driving is freeway (called Autobahn here). So the car is in Low mode 85% of the time when set to "Highway".
In my case it's actually 100% of the time as I force is to be low all the time but if i would not, it would be 85%.

My Model S had normal tire wear and it was set to low all the time (but for different reasons, it looks way cooler with them 21" wheels on).

If I start notice uneven wear on the X, I simply get it re-aligned while in Low mode. They will adjust camber and toe-in to suit the new geometry and voila.

The reason I ask you for a reliable source of your statement is that Tesla surely thought of this potential issue when designing an automatic ride-height adjustment system.
My 2006 Audi A8 had a similar speed-governed self-lowering-on-the-autobahn-suspension setup and it never had issues with premature tire wear. I traded that car in with 370km (231k miles). They too designed that into the system. It totally depends on HOW one designs such a system.
It is perfectly possible to have a wheel move up and down in a wheel-well within a small range of up&down motion, without causing a significant change in camber and toe.
The effective difference in ride-height on my S, X and old A8 between their normal and low modes is really not much.

If I start notice uneven wear on the X, I simply get it re-aligned while in Low mode. They will adjust camber and toe-in to suit the new geometry and voila.

The reason I ask you for a reliable source of your statement is that Tesla surely thought of this potential issue when designing an automatic ride-height adjustment system.
My 2006 Audi A8 had a similar speed-governed self-lowering-on-the-autobahn-suspension setup and it never had issues with premature tire wear. I traded that car in with 370km (231k miles). They too designed that into the system. It totally depends on HOW one designs such a system.
I'm not who you were asking, but regarding your reasoning, I agree that it is possible and there are vehicles that keep the geometry through different suspension settings. However, I have had more than one service advisor tell me that driving in low does have this effect. In spite of this, my service center insists that they will ONLY align in standard. Also, when I switched to my winter tires last fall, I had measurably more wear on the inside of the rear tires than the outside of them. Maybe they're wrong, but I read today that there is minimal adjustment available to the rear alignment at all. I think I read it in a recent post in this forum, but it's possible I read it on reddit. In either case, that's not really much of a source, but it's the only source I've got.

Reactions: VikH
In spite of this, my service center insists that they will ONLY align in standard.
Maybe you should re-phrase that question when asking an SC tech.
What I would do is tell (which technically is not "asking") the SC tech the following: YOU (Tesla) made a design mistake, forcing ME to have to drive in Low mode all the time to avoid damage. So YOU (Tesla) will do whatever it takes to not cause other problems such as incorrect tire-wear due to always driving in, essentially, a unfavourable geometry. So YOU (Tesla) will re-align the car in Low mode to avoid this from happening.
Only after Tesla provides a satisfying solution for the shudder problem, will I start using "Standard Mode" again and THEN you can re-align the car in Standard Mode.

My Model S has been in "permanent low mode" for 5.5 years and 220'000km and the tires where always fine. I have not asked them to re-align in low mode all those years (essentially once a year during it's annual service). They re-aligned but I don't know in what mode to be honest.
The 2014 Model S is not the Model X Raven (different suspension) but I have difficulty believing that low-mode on a Raven X would cause tire issues. But it does make me wonder why some SC techs tell people that low mode can cause tire issues though.

I will keep an eye on my tires and if they do wear unevenly, chime in. I'm not afraid to admit i'm wrong :oops:

Maybe you should re-phrase that question when asking an SC tech.
What I would do is tell (which technically is not "asking") the SC tech the following: YOU (Tesla) made a design mistake, forcing ME to have to drive in Low mode all the time to avoid damage. So YOU (Tesla) will do whatever it takes to not cause other problems such as incorrect tire-wear due to always driving in, essentially, a unfavourable geometry. So YOU (Tesla) will re-align the car in Low mode to avoid this from happening.
Only after Tesla provides a satisfying solution for the shudder problem, will I start using "Standard Mode" again and THEN you can re-align the car in Standard Mode.

My Model S has been in "permanent low mode" for 5.5 years and 220'000km and the tires where always fine. I have not asked them to re-align in low mode all those years (essentially once a year during it's annual service). They re-aligned but I don't know in what mode to be honest.
The 2014 Model S is not the Model X Raven (different suspension) but I have difficulty believing that low-mode on a Raven X would cause tire issues. But it does make me wonder why some SC techs tell people that low mode can cause tire issues though.

I will keep an eye on my tires and if they do wear unevenly, chime in. I'm not afraid to admit i'm wrong :oops:
First and foremost, I didn't realize this was the Raven thread, mine is fixed now, as I'm not a Raven. Second, as to "rephrasing the question," while I didn't use assertive language, I did escalate via the web submission form explaining that I wanted aligned in low because of this issue but my service center said they could only align in standard per "corporate policy." The response I got was "we have to defer to the service center on this."

you can replace the half shafts and enjoy another 5-10,000 miles of no shudder, however the issue will return. Here's the problem, the X is based on the same platform as the S. The S was originally designed as a rear-wheel drive car. When they decided to add another motor to the front wheels they had to do that within the current constraints of the original platform. This essentially meant mounting the motor/gearbox higher up than would be ideal. Mounting the motor too high increases the downward angle of the axles (half-shafts) and therefore increases the stress and binding forces on the cv joints (flexible joints of the half-shafts). The weight of the X coupled with high torque motors with the excessive angle of the half-shafts can quickly deform the insides of the cv joints and then you have vibration. This is much less common on the S because it sits lower and therefore has a more straight angle in the half-shafts.
So what can be done to reduce the angle of the half-shafts is to lower the vehicle a bit 20mm/.80 inch. The problem with this is that it changes the geometry of the suspension which now eats up your rear tires. N2itive created an acceleration shudder kit that addresses all of these issues to help eliminate the vibration and preserve you tires. More details and thorough explanation N2itive Acceleration Shudder & Inner Tire Wear Elimination Kit - Tesla Model S/X