Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick After Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well . . . It does ask if you want your mommy before enabling - lol
Seriously no matter how cool the hot tub is, that first dip feels scalding. Sounds like acclimation is needed for you but you didn’t tell us what your unsuspecting wife thought or felt.

Makes me smile, living proof of "different strokes for different folks". My car has never seen Chill mode, never will... except for when I let my brother drive it :)

I enjoyed the launch of my S 100D a couple of times, but after that I set the "CHILL" mode and I'm more than happy about it. The acceleration in chill mode is in any case better than 99,9% of the ICEs out there, but it's also gentle enough to avoid the sickness feeling.

Reactions: croman
When I went for my first test drive in a Tesla Model S, I was put in a Model S P100D. So, at an appropriate point in my test drive, I tried out the infamous Ludicrous acceleration with my own 0-60 punch. I couldn't get past 35-40 before I bailed out. I would describe it this way: Most of us have experienced the common "head rush" after we bend over looking under a bed, etc., then instantly stand up, and we can feel ourselves get light-headed, or maybe even our vision darkens. I would describe that experience as like a wave moving slowly down from the top of my head. The experience while doing a Ludicrous acceleration was very similar, except that the "wave" felt like it was moving from the front of my face toward that back of my head, but at a far faster rate. I my felt vision start to go dark, which, more than anything else, scared me and left gave me the feeling that I was going to black out. Of course, this all happened within one second—so it was a very fast physiological response, probably greater because I am over 50.

......I bought the 100D.

Reactions: f205v and NYL12
Going off of memory here, but it reminds me when Don Garlits tried a comeback in his NHRA top fuel dragster after a several year hiatus, I think he was in his 60's, and he detached both retinas in his first run.

I have P85D with Ludicrous but I never launch full throttle. Not because I would get sick, but because I don't feel like keeping my car pristine inside. Launching full throttle empties my cubby and sends anything loose to the back seat or floor. Where Ludicrous is of value to me is highway speeds acceleration - nothing flies back, could use more actually.

PS> I rarely race my car but even when I do want to leave someone behind at the lights, I still don't have to go full throttle, not even when the other guy has a 12-cylinder Cadillac Coupe (actually happened recently, guy was blowing away a Lexus and a Corvette at subsequent lights, I was just following but at one point the Lexus and Corvette moved out of my way so I could be first at the light with the Caddy - the driver of the Caddy was not thrilled, but I did get thumbs up from the Lexus and the Vette after leaving the Caddy in the dust). I wonder if he knew I was limiting my throttle to keep from having to clean my back seat. ;)

PS> I rarely race my car but even when I do want to leave someone behind at the lights, I still don't have to go full throttle, not even when the other guy has a 12-cylinder Cadillac Coupe ....;)

You sure that had a V12? I'm no Cadillac expert, but from what I can see I don't think a 1937 Cadillac was whipping a modern corvette....

You sure that had a V12? I'm no Cadillac expert, but from what I can see I don't think a 1937 Cadillac was whipping a modern corvette....
I'm no Caddy expert either, but all I noticed it was a Caddy, 2 door (coupe) and what looked like a "V12" badge on the back right side. Badge could have been fake, but the car had decent power to blow away other cars. Not sure if it was manual or automatic either, but I heard tire squeals which would be consistent with gear changes (spaced out while accelerating).

Last edited:
I'm no Caddy expert either, but all I noticed it was a Caddy, 2 door (coupe) and what looked like a "V12" badge on the back right side. Badge could have been fake, but the car had decent power to blow away other cars. Not sure if it was manual or automatic either, but I heard tire squeals which would be consistent with gear changes (spaced out while accelerating).

I assume it must have been a 2018-2019 CTS-V: 464 hp, 0-60 in 3.8s (the 2017 only had 335 hp) It has a V6 twin turbo.
Actually a lot of the same performance pieces as the P85D: Recaro seats, Brembo's, Super Sport tires, it is just down about 400 ft/lb of torque.... :D

All this immature, neanderthal "my club is bigger than your club" competitions sure feels good sometimes, don't it? :cool:

I assume it must have been a 2018-2019 CTS-V: 464 hp, 0-60 in 3.8s (the 2017 only had 335 hp) It has a V6 twin turbo.
Actually a lot of the same performance pieces as the P85D: Recaro seats, Brembo's, Super Sport tires, it is just down about 400 ft/lb of torque.... :D
It did look relatively modern, black and shiny without any obvious paint wear.

All this immature, neanderthal "my club is bigger than your club" competitions sure feels good sometimes, don't it? :cool:
Absolutely. The road was freshly paved too so it was smooth as butter. It was also uphill so made the race last a bit longer before hitting speed limits (45 speed limit, so I hit 55). Something tells me the guy formed a new opinion about Teslas after this, hopefully not resentment. I did notice that people tend to have an easier time when they are blown away by a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, than "just" a Tesla. Maybe it's the fact that it's a large 4 door sedan?

My 85 RWD is plenty fast enough off the line. For me any performance model is a waste of money. I would never use it. 5.6 sec to 60mph is just perfect for me.
I used it and got rewarded with my first ticket in the States. I wa a little sick that day and misjudged the time on the pedal. The cop wa a bit upset. He said he has hard time catching up. Lesson learned

Besides acceleration, the 100D has a range and charging speed advantage over the 75D.
The charging advantage is mostly for supercharging, you can charge up to10% faster depending on the SoC. I believe you still can upgrade 75 onboard charger to 72A. IIRC it costs $1,500. Of course if home charging is your top priority, can't beat an 85 battery with dual charger - 80A setup.

The charging advantage is mostly for supercharging
Up to 1.5x faster on AC charging, but I agree real advantage is faster supercharging which when coupled with added range significantly reduces charging time on trips.

can't beat an 85 battery with dual charger - 80A setup.
10% faster than 72A charger - not much of a difference. AC charging speed is rarely a concern now with so many DC chargers out there - I rarely charge at 80A.