Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SICK and TIRED OF THOSE WHO WONT TRY IT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I am growing very tired of the negativity from the media and the uneducated people slamming Tesla. From the people I work with, and have minimal conversations with regarding the brand and particularly most of the media in general. How many of you have ever had the pleasure of driving a Tesla automobile? How many of you can open your mind a little to even test drive one? All you want to do it criticize the company and it's products. Most of what you say is untrue and spoken by people that have not ever experienced "Life with a Tesla"

I spent 4 years researching the car before I placed my order and spent countless hours doing cost analysis to justify my investment before moving ahead. I am not rich just an average American "Car guy" who did my due diligence before taking the plunge. I have owned over 35 new cars in my life, mainly because none of them ever really hit the mark. They all make unneeded noises, annoying shifts from something called a transmission, require continuous changes of fluids, brakes and more....they smell when you are driving behind them, you constantly have to switch your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal sometimes hundreds of times in a single trip, not to mention stopping at those smelly stations, and to add more fluids to the car. You know those places that emit cancer causing fumes from the vent pipes attached to those underground fluid tanks. Yes, they DO cause cancer. Every time I learn about one of my friends or family members with cancer I can't help but think, what if?

I would suggest this to "ANYONE" who wants to criticize any company that makes such effort to improve the world we live in, and who works diligently to build a car that is by Far better than any ICE car on the highway today, to go to a Tesla store, schedule a test drive. Then come back and give your honest opinion.

Trust me, I've had the same situation in multiple different technologies. There will always be those that complain. Often, many of these people seem to folks that can't afford the new technology and really are only justifying their inability to get it.

The quicker you ignore these folks , the less clicks ($$$) they get, they more the get frustrated not being able to get you mad, and the happier that you get enjoying your toys.

Having owned a Tesla for almost 4 years, I'm not sure if I qualify for your definition of "educated", however, IMHO, the issue isn't the cars, it's the company. The cars are great. The company? Not so much.

I don't care if you've cured cancer. Selling something like FSD, which doesn't exist, and which they have no idea how to build, or, for that matter, if they can build, is not ethical. No one gets a pass to lie to their customers while taking their money.

Having owned a Tesla for almost 4 years, I'm not sure if I qualify for your definition of "educated", however, IMHO, the issue isn't the cars, it's the company. The cars are great. The company? Not so much.

I don't care if you've cured cancer. Selling something like FSD, which doesn't exist, and which they have no idea how to build, or, for that matter, if they can build, is not ethical. No one gets a pass to lie to their customers while taking their money.

At the point of sale Tesla fully disclosed that FSD required additional development and faces legislative hurdles. The fact that they are taking longer than hoped or expected to achieve this goal is frustrating but it does not make them liars, nor does it make them unethical. The bigger problem is not Tesla, it's a public who insist on being perpetual victims and who cannot/will not read past sensationalist headlines from "journalists" who are anything but objective.

I am growing very tired of the negativity from the media and the uneducated people slamming Tesla. From the people I work with, and have minimal conversations with regarding the brand and particularly most of the media in general. How many of you have ever had the pleasure of driving a Tesla automobile? How many of you can open your mind a little to even test drive one? All you want to do it criticize the company and it's products. Most of what you say is untrue and spoken by people that have not ever experienced "Life with a Tesla"

I spent 4 years researching the car before I placed my order and spent countless hours doing cost analysis to justify my investment before moving ahead. I am not rich just an average American "Car guy" who did my due diligence before taking the plunge. I have owned over 35 new cars in my life, mainly because none of them ever really hit the mark. They all make unneeded noises, annoying shifts from something called a transmission, require continuous changes of fluids, brakes and more....they smell when you are driving behind them, you constantly have to switch your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal sometimes hundreds of times in a single trip, not to mention stopping at those smelly stations, and to add more fluids to the car. You know those places that emit cancer causing fumes from the vent pipes attached to those underground fluid tanks. Yes, they DO cause cancer. Every time I learn about one of my friends or family members with cancer I can't help but think, what if?

I would suggest this to "ANYONE" who wants to criticize any company that makes such effort to improve the world we live in, and who works diligently to build a car that is by Far better than any ICE car on the highway today, to go to a Tesla store, schedule a test drive. Then come back and give your honest opinion.

I have given quite a few people test drives in my Model S and now Model 3 and they universally love it. Several who initially had lots of concerns have gone on to buy a Tesla (or two in one case). Maybe offer some of the skeptics in your office a ride or test drive so they can experience it themselves.

Last edited:
In another thread here was a question about how important was the environment to your purchase decision (something like that). Most said that it was not a big part their decision. In my case it was hardly a blimp on my consideration. But, I also do not make the environment / global warming a big part of my daily life. But it seems a lot of people do. As a part of the GOP it does seem to come heavily from the LEFT. My question is if it is so important to so many and everyone seems to believe a big part of it is ICE Cars/Trucks why is it only a small part of the population are driving electric? Of course now I tell all my LEFT friends that I got it to same the planet :)

Reactions: Eclectic and cct3
I am not rich just an average American "Car guy" who did my due diligence before taking the plunge. I have owned over 35 new cars in my life, mainly because none of them ever really hit the mark.

You might be a bit richer if you hadn't taken the depreciation hit on 35 new cars... that's a lot!

My experience with talking about my car at work, with friends, family and neighbors is that they're all curious, have questions and are pretty fascinated. Everything from "how do you know how fast you're going and keep your eye on the road" to the more common "how far can you go on a charge" or "how long does it take to charge". Over the last 6 weeks I haven't heard a single negative comment, more amazement at being on a waiting list for more than a year and an acceptance that "one day we'll all be driving them".

No one forces you to pay for this, and it appears the majority of people who did are happy they did - this has been covered countless times before. Also I don't think Tesla have people internally thinking "this will never happen, but let's sell it anyway" - it's more like they think they can do it, but the problem ended up being a lot bigger than they realized. Someone who says they think they can do something, and then fail trying, isn't a liar, they just failed trying... so far.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
In another thread here was a question about how important was the environment to your purchase decision (something like that). Most said that it was not a big part their decision. In my case it was hardly a blimp on my consideration. But, I also do not make the environment / global warming a big part of my daily life. But it seems a lot of people do. As a part of the GOP it does seem to come heavily from the LEFT. My question is if it is so important to so many and everyone seems to believe a big part of it is ICE Cars/Trucks why is it only a small part of the population are driving electric? Of course now I tell all my LEFT friends that I got it to same the planet :)

This will get political and probably moved, but the reason it comes from the "left" (not sure why you capitalized it) is because generally "progress" is a left-wing political aim (hence the term "progressive") whereas the "right" is conservative (meaning keep things the way they are). So... things like giving women the vote, abolishing segregation, providing social security, free public education etc. were all at one point in time considered "progressive" and "conservatives" at the time would have fought tooth and nail against those things.

Philosophically, the difference between left and right is the amount of emphasis you place on the rights and well being of individuals Vs the rights and well being of groups, and the government's role in that.

Interestingly in other comparable democratic countries, Global Warming is not considered a "left/right" debate, it's an accepted fact. The GOP in the US is an anomaly and I don't think their denial of it has to do with conservatism, it has to do with oil money from their lobbyists.

The reason only a small part of the population are driving electric cars is really

1) They're very new
2) They're still relatively expensive
3) Infrastructure is not there to support 100 million EVs on the roads

I generally try not to leave a proverbial muddy footprint on the environment; I don't use plastic utensils or bottles, I try not to by fresh food wrapped in plastic, I try to buy from farmers markets or from sustainable sources - it does make me laugh when you see "organic" food in grocery stores wrapped in 4 inches of clingfilm.

So while I didn't buy a Tesla because of environmental concerns, it certainly was an easier decision because of it, and compliments my other life-choices.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what has been said, most people do not want to spend the time to research and learn the facts about anything. They just have an opinion based on the headlines then make a decision from inaccurate info. It is like anything else in life to make an educated and informed decision you have to do you homework. In regards to Tesla the company just keep in mind how old it is, most major automobile manufacturers are a century old and still have lots of issues. I’m not making excuses for the problems that Tesla has which are many, but hope at some point they will get it together. I was in the automotive business for my career, spent 25 years in operations for Mercedes, Volvo and Nissan. I could tell you some stories but it would take me days, I love my Tesla’s and hope they continue to survive.

• Love
Reactions: David99
This will get political and probably moved, but the reason it comes from the "left" (not sure why you capitalized it) is because generally "progress" is a left-wing political aim (hence the term "progressive") whereas the "right" is conservative (meaning keep things the way they are). So... things like giving women the vote, abolishing segregation, providing social security, free public education etc. were all at one point in time considered "progressive" and "conservatives" at the time would have fought tooth and nail against those things.

Philosophically, the difference between left and right is the amount of emphasis you place on the rights and well being of individuals Vs the rights and well being of groups, and the government's role in that.

Interestingly in other comparable democratic countries, Global Warming is not considered a "left/right" debate, it's an accepted fact. The GOP in the US is an anomaly and I don't think their denial of it has to do with conservatism, it has to do with oil money from their lobbyists.

The reason only a small part of the population are driving electric cars is really

1) They're very new
2) They're still relatively expensive
3) Infrastructure is not there to support 100 million EVs on the roads

I generally try not to leave a proverbial muddy footprint on the environment; I don't use plastic utensils or bottles, I try not to by fresh food wrapped in plastic, I try to buy from farmers markets or from sustainable sources - it does make me laugh when you see "organic" food in grocery stores wrapped in 4 inches of clingfilm.

So while I didn't buy a Tesla because of environmental concerns, it certainly was an easier decision because of it, and compliments my other life-choices.
Using caps was not intended to mean anything other then talking about those on the left (democratic?). Anyway, to me people that feel Global Warming is a fact (and I am not arguing the point) do not seem to think ICE is a major cause of it (like I have heard) or more would figure out how to make it happen in their own lives. At least it would be a major point in the democratic party (progressive). Not all electric cars are Tesla with the high price tag. As you point out, you did not even buy a Tesla because of environmental concerns but you could afford it or you would not have one. Just seems it is not a major point of consideration from those that feel Global Warming is like the most important thing "today"?

At the point of sale Tesla fully disclosed that FSD required additional development and faces legislative hurdles. The fact that they are taking longer than hoped or expected to achieve this goal is frustrating but it does not make them liars, nor does it make them unethical. The bigger problem is not Tesla, it's a public who insist on being perpetual victims and who cannot/will not read past sensationalist headlines from "journalists" who are anything but objective.

It is interesting how many people have been paying for a capability which Tesla says "it kinda, sorta, doesn't do what you expect right now, but we're working on it, getting really close, and it should do what you expect in the future... pending negotiating all the legislative hurdles"

Using caps was not intended to mean anything other then talking about those on the left (democratic?). Anyway, to me people that feel Global Warming is a fact (and I am not arguing the point) do not seem to think ICE is a major cause of it (like I have heard) or more would figure out how to make it happen in their own lives. At least it would be a major point in the democratic party (progressive). Not all electric cars are Tesla with the high price tag. As you point out, you did not even buy a Tesla because of environmental concerns but you could afford it or you would not have one. Just seems it is not a major point of consideration from those that feel Global Warming is like the most important thing "today"?

Not everyone is in a position to make that personal choice to leave the ICE world, although I have to say that many people recognize more broadly that cars are, by their nature' selfish and inefficient in terms of the space they take up and the energy they use compared to mass transit, walking, or biking. That's more of an urban phenomena, and again not something open to everything (if you live in a rural community with no services, you need a car).

However, ultimately people will respond to things that benefit them personally, regardless of their politics (sometimes despite their politics). People started buying more efficient cars when gas prices rocketed. In Europe, where there is more tax on petrol and diesel than in the US, people buy more efficient cars. Even in the US, cars that get 12 MPG are very rare (not so in the 80's and 90's).

People behave the way they're incentivized to behave. The US pours huge amounts of money and resources into subsidizing oil, so people use oil. A lot of it. There was a huge push to natural gas for heating and a massive marketing campaign for it about 4 or 5 years ago, and sure enough fracking and natural gas usage has rocketed. If the same amount of money that's been spent on oil and gas in the last 30 years was spent on solar and EV technology, it would be more accessible, cheaper and people would switch.

When you consider that 'global warming' is still considered a mass conspiracy theory by "leftists", you really have to wonder what motivates someone to cling on to such denial and delusion... oh no you don't, it's called money. :rolleyes:

Not everyone is in a position to make that personal choice to leave the ICE world, although I have to say that many people recognize more broadly that cars are, by their nature' selfish and inefficient in terms of the space they take up and the energy they use compared to mass transit, walking, or biking. That's more of an urban phenomena, and again not something open to everything (if you live in a rural community with no services, you need a car).

However, ultimately people will respond to things that benefit them personally, regardless of their politics (sometimes despite their politics). People started buying more efficient cars when gas prices rocketed. In Europe, where there is more tax on petrol and diesel than in the US, people buy more efficient cars. Even in the US, cars that get 12 MPG are very rare (not so in the 80's and 90's).

People behave the way they're incentivized to behave. The US pours huge amounts of money and resources into subsidizing oil, so people use oil. A lot of it. There was a huge push to natural gas for heating and a massive marketing campaign for it about 4 or 5 years ago, and sure enough fracking and natural gas usage has rocketed. If the same amount of money that's been spent on oil and gas in the last 30 years was spent on solar and EV technology, it would be more accessible, cheaper and people would switch.

When you consider that 'global warming' is still considered a mass conspiracy theory by "leftists", you really have to wonder what motivates someone to cling on to such denial and delusion... oh no you don't, it's called money. :rolleyes:
Very good points. So, the good news is that I believe the more people get familiar with electric cars the more the will see the benefit to them personally even though Global Warming is not the driving reason. My eyes have been open and if possible I will only buy electric going forward. Even if not Tesla. However, I did buy a ICE Honda Dirt bike (small) because I could not find an electric one similar even at twice the cost (mainly looked at ZERO). So, I do understand there simply is not enough available. I may be interested in a pickup truck but Tesla does not appear to be making one within a few years. And the other major manufactures are not in a rush.

I agree with your thought, however you have an option when you buy your car not to opt in for FSD and not have to pay anything for it. So I would agree that is a choice. Maybe Tesla should not offer it for sale until it is real. That would be a better option

Haven't heard anyone who didn't like the car. The company? If not for the overwhelming product satisfaction of others, I would have gotten my money back and run. Useless reservation deposit and apparent disregard for configuration queue of many. Rolling the dice on FSD. Betting on it to materialize within 2-5 and expecting my upfront price will be discounted as compared to when it is more real. Then again, wouldn't be surprised if prepaying worked against me the way reservation deposit seemed to. Supercharging perks seemed to reward the later orders too even though many later orders got earlier delivery. Car better treat me better than company. Only time will tell

• Funny
Left? Right? SPEWS. SPins and skEWS. Both sides media are against Tesla. Oil on both sides. You'd think there would be a bit more love for a disruptive US company. Tesla is likely here to stay and time will get more people to try and more to like and as Tesla grows up, maybe more unification of people as opposed to division which both political parties aspire to do.

One of the biggest issues is 'change'. People do not like change. It means things that are secure and established are getting thrown out and we have to think new. Established businesses are questioned, routines are broken. Change, even for the better are always met with resistance at first. The more you push the more resistance.

The other issue is education. The less educated you are, the less you understand which is scary. Anything that shows up that you don't understand and questions your known and established ways is perceived scary and threatening.

At that point people bring up anything as an argument, regardless of how little sense it makes. And now we have a very tragic situation. Now the smart person that is trying to make things better has to waste time arguing about something that doesn't even make sense. The uneducated person doesn't understand the reasoning and the smart person is busy trying to lower the conversation down to that level. The more you try the more it is perceived as being pressured and the harder the resistance.

It's less about the actual topic, it is more of a physiological issue.

I think that is the genius about Elon. He knew EVs were the better solution. He also knew that you can't convince people by explaining it to them. He also knew he had two huge industries against him. He created a product that was so amazing that people wanted it. He made EV desirable and people went nuts over it. He aimed for the heart so people don't feel convinced rather they felt desire. He won. The people that are still resisting are those who can't afford them. That's all. :)

• Informative