Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a way to be more patient...

I take the the OTD price of my model 3... then I substract $10k in tax incentives. Then I divide by 72 months. I basically assume the car will be worthless in 72 months (driving 20k miles a year).

That's $700 a month. Every time I think about this I don't know why I'm not as much in a hurry...

• Funny
Reactions: David L
I haven't seen a ton of people complaining that their Delivery Estimator still shows expected timeline even though that time has passed. That gives me courage, but it's about to start being the second week of February. I still show delivery expected between Dec.-Feb. after being moved back a month after the initial delay with Panasonic.

Surely it taking four weeks for delivery it's already too late to get my car this month. I was disheartened when i watched this weeks Electrek podcast and the American spoke of his expected delivery was Nov.-Jan. and he did get the invite in Jan. but when he inquired at the Tesla Store they told him though it is already February, he has yet to be assigned a VIN and they think he is looking at March delivery.

I was kind of hoping NOT to have to face the decision will I pay the $9000 and the $5000 extra to get the car early, sure I will. But now that I am expecting those features, what if those options become available? Will I cheap out when my invite comes around?

-Randy

Hey my revised delivery estimator still says Dec-Feb, but there is basically no way I am getting my car this month even if they let me configure right now.
So, hey, it seems they would rather leave us in the dark now rather than providing updated estimates.

Old story:
Existing Tesla owners can jump the line on Model 3 reservations
...Exactly how the waitlist will be managed may raise some hackles, however. The quickest way, Tesla says, to get a good spot is to go to a physical showroom on March 31, even before the car itself is revealed...
...However, priority will also be given to existing Model S or Model X owners. You can certainly see why Tesla might want to reward its loyalest customers – after all, their purchases of far more expensive cars have helped fund development of a more affordable model...

So, I had come to grips with the "existing Model S & X owners" (at that time) getting priority because they "helped fund development" (of Model 3), but shouldn't that have stopped at people who had previously bought Model S or X while Model 3 was being developed? I think they may have gotten a constant stream of new buyers saying "but what about me too?" and just kept extending the perk out indefinitely.

Reactions: RedModel3
Old story:
Existing Tesla owners can jump the line on Model 3 reservations

So, I had come to grips with the "existing Model S & X owners" (at that time) getting priority because they "helped fund development" (of Model 3), but shouldn't that have stopped at people who had previously bought Model S or X while Model 3 was being developed? I think they may have gotten a constant stream of new buyers saying "but what about me too?" and just kept extending the perk out indefinitely.

Aren't those new buyers still helping to fund the Model 3? They're still ramping up and figuring out the alien dreadnaught. I don't think the thousand or so Model 3s sold so far are keep production afloat with their profits.

I'm antsy, as well. Last April I purchased a used Fiat 500e to calm myself down a bit. The Fiat has been absolutely great around town, and I'm considering keeping it after we finally get the Model 3 so that we can use it for errands and short trips in town, keeping the miles down on the 3 and reducing the likelihood of door dings. Unfortunately, its limited range means we can't take it on road trips, which we are wont to do several times per year.

My husband and I have also gone through a phase of renting Teslas on Turo for these trips (four times so far, plus two more rentals when we flew to Washington to visit my parents). This has been a mixed bag... the trips have been great, but it makes me want the Model 3 that much more.

Now I'm agonizing about getting RWD vs AWD. Tax credit aside, I'm honestly not sure if my sanity will let me hold out for the AWD version. We're considering buying a Cadillac ELR this weekend so that my husband can use it as a commuter and so that we can turn in our Dieselgate Passat... perhaps its addition to the family will calm me down enough to wait for an AWD Model 3.

*pulling hair out*
I don’t have any more hair to pull out hahaha

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I'm not on the list, but was going to buy one when the list was exhausted, or at least down to a normal wait time. However, every time I see Elon Musk in the news it is about something other than building these cars. That makes me think he's lost interest and if the CEO (or whatever his title is) isn't interested, it isn't getting done.

Exhale everyone.

I'm not on the list, but was going to buy one when the list was exhausted, or at least down to a normal wait time. However, every time I see Elon Musk in the news it is about something other than building these cars. That makes me think he's lost interest and if the CEO (or whatever his title is) isn't interested, it isn't getting done.

Exhale everyone.

I feel the same way. I cringed when I saw him running around chasing the camera man with a flamethrower. He was sleeping at the end of the production line of the Model S. Oh well.

Tesla fully understands who is getting their cars now. Answer: Their current customer base.

Tesla is fully aware that people waited in line for hours upon hours.

They know.
It also doesn't hurt to release a pretty good but still a work-in-progress car to your two most forgiving audiences: employees and loyal owners. The general public is a harsher mistress.
Robin