Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side cameras stopped working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will watch with interest, one of my cameras has gone faulty and as you say Edinburgh isn't particularly handy.

So I got a text from mobile service person at Edinburgh this morning asking if I would be available Tuesday afternoon, so he's going to come tomorrow and replace the camera. 7 days for the part isn't bad service given I just reported the issue on the 18th Jan afternoon.

Reactions: init6
Slightly related but had a ranger over to look at the suspected condensation in both my B-pillar cameras (typically it had completely gone when he had arrived, so we decided not to bother changing them at the moment). In the end he just said he'd verify the presence (or rather the lack of) Gore patches on them.

It took the guy all of about 30 seconds to pop the entire pillar glass section off.

I'm pretty impressed with how Teslas have been designed to be worked on really easily. I was expecting him to be having to pull back trim and all sorts to get to it.

I was expecting him to be having to pull back trim and all sorts to get to it.

Apparently to remove the camera you have to remove the plastic around the wheel arch and then bend the clips from inside the wing and pull the camera out. Or you can shove a plastic screwdriver/spudger into the sides of the camera and break off the plastic clips on the old camera. Disconnect/reconnect the wires and push the new camera in. Sounds awful, but much much faster.

Both cameras were replaced at the Bristol SC this morning. It took exactly two hours from arrival to departure - apparently they did a 'wiring check' first to confirm it was definitely the cameras before replacing them.
I seem to remember there were some cars that had shortened wiring looms so the cars had faulty cameras from delivery. Wouldn't have thought it would have caused the cameras to fail later.

I seem to remember there were some cars that had shortened wiring looms so the cars had faulty cameras from delivery. Wouldn't have thought it would have caused the cameras to fail later.

No idea. I know my cameras worked for the first few months and then stopped working in late November or early December. I originally booked the car into Bristol in early January, but the appointment was moved back as they were looking at it over the air.