Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Repeater Camera Quality Improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent software update ver 2023.32.6, I have seen a significant improvement in the quality (especially color saturation) of the side cameras.

I always complained of how the cameras carried an “orange” hue but that is no more?

Do you also see this improvement? The colors are now more natural and sharper.

The cameras were never meant to be seen by human eyes. They were optimized for recognition by the software. People started to complain that they couldn't see the cameras so Tesla added that feature. Then people started complaining that it wasn't a "true" picture so now they did some corrections to show the drivers that yes, the cameras work and they are fine.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I haven't seen the official release notes yet (my car is still on 2023.26.9), but this is also mentioned here:

What was weird is that they said in the 2023.32 update that the rear camera was also going to be improved to remove more of the license plate showing but I didn't see any difference between 2023.26.XX and 2023.32.6. Maybe the rear camera fix hasn't been implemented yet because my camera view looks exactly like the 2023.26 minus the grainyness of the view.

I'm seeing a wider dynamic range and a lot less orange hue in the repeater cameras. Not sure if there's any other quality change going on. Does look more clear at night. This should probably help in Sentry videos as well.

The vehicle renders also seem to be more accurate. I swear I saw it render a sunroof on a car I passed. At night. This update only happened yesterday. I might find other differences with additional time with it. Funny how there was no mention of any of this in the release notes. Just said minor improvements and bug fixes.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Now using it for a few more days, you are right, there seems to be no improvement in terms of quality, but the color correction appears to give that impression. I do like the more "natural" colors though, the orange hues did bother me to some extent.

I have noticed that the night time video is not as good, the LED street lights for example tend to flicker a lot more which resultantly oversaturates the video stream.

But a nice improvement in general.

Reactions: TSLY
Now using it for a few more days, you are right, there seems to be no improvement in terms of quality, but the color correction appears to give that impression. I do like the more "natural" colors though, the orange hues did bother me to some extent.

I have noticed that the night time video is not as good, the LED street lights for example tend to flicker a lot more which resultantly oversaturates the video stream.

But a nice improvement in general.
Florescent bulbs in my garage now flash and bloom since the 2023.32 update. Haven't used enough to express a general overall impression.

What was weird is that they said in the 2023.32 update that the rear camera was also going to be improved to remove more of the license plate showing but I didn't see any difference between 2023.26.XX and 2023.32.6. Maybe the rear camera fix hasn't been implemented yet because my camera view looks exactly like the 2023.26 minus the grainyness of the view.

If you look at the update on sites, it says the rear part applies to HW4. HW4 had a rear camera with a wider horizontal view, so it's likely they just cropped it back to same as HW3.