Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siemens versicharge not charging model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing the same thing. My office has 4 Siemen's charging stations and none of them works with my Model 3. ChargePoint and also Juicebox are working just fine though. I wonder what's missing in Siemen's charger. Is it missing a wire or something? I reported the same to Tesla and hoping they would come back with some answer.
If it were a missing wire, it wouldn't work in any car. Things that might cause it to work on some cars, but not others:

- Pilot signal missing negative swing, other Pilot voltage or timing issues
- Car missing diode on Pilot pull downs.
- Grounding issues in the EVSE or the house electrical system
- Marginal connection between the J1772 and the inlet (in this case the J1772 adapter).
- EVSE not closing or opening it's contactors within timing the car expects
- EVSE has a timer function and the car does not like the "OFF" state or transition to "ON" state

I'm sure there's other possbilities.

Tesla called me back. The rep is suggesting it's an issue with Siemen chargers although I pointed out it's working fine on Model S and other EVs. He said he found Siemen chargers don't work with some newer vehicles, including Nissan Leaf and BMWs. I am not sure if that is true. At our office building, we have Bolt, Volt, Leaf, Fiat, and Prius Prime all working fine with these Siemen chargers.

Of course this is the charger I own and of course it'll have problems...

Getting ready for invite any week now, joining forums like this and stumble onto this thread.

Been charging my leaf on the versicharge for 2 years no problem. Hope you guys find a solution either from Siemens or Tesla!

Maybe I can find a model 3 in my neighborhood and have them test my charger to test it.

I have a problem with my versicharge not starting to charge my Bolt. It may be related to the delay start the bolt has been programmed with... off peak starts at 9pm. I called Siemens and they had tech support email me. Tech told me to unplug for two hours and try again. I emailed back explaining that their idiots guide to resetting a stuck ground fault wasn't going to be the solution, and haven't heard anything yet. My unit greets me every few weeks with a red halo and it's really starting to bother me.

One of my favorite local bars has these Siemens chargers outside (a whole bank of them). I don't even bother plugging in now since they haven't ever worked with my Model 3. I don't have a lack of places to charge anyway so it's not a big deal, I just thought it was this particular charger. Disappointing to hear that others are having the same issue.

Tesla called me back. The rep is suggesting it's an issue with Siemen chargers although I pointed out it's working fine on Model S and other EVs. He said he found Siemen chargers don't work with some newer vehicles, including Nissan Leaf and BMWs. I am not sure if that is true. At our office building, we have Bolt, Volt, Leaf, Fiat, and Prius Prime all working fine with these Siemen chargers.
First off, these Siemens units are EVSEs, not chargers. For level 1 and 2 AC charging over J1772 and Tesla's proprietary connector, the charger is on-board the car.

See post #4.

As for Siemens EVSEs being incompatible w/BMWs, I've not heard that. Numerous folks w/BMW i3's use Siemens VersiCharge units. Ditto for Leaf drivers but I can't speak to model year 2018.

Discouraging to hear that there's finger pointing only, so far. To me, Tesla would probably be in the best position to resolve this more quickly. Hopefully it's something that can be done w/an OTA update.

Tried again yesterday as I did have a software update on my Model 3 since last I tried. But still no go.

Report this to Tesla tech support!

Even if they determine it is not the cars issue, they should at least have a technote on what the issue is and pointing the blame at Siemens! This has come up with a number of folks, so it needs investigated!

Reactions: davewill
Report this to Tesla tech support!

Even if they determine it is not the cars issue, they should at least have a technote on what the issue is and pointing the blame at Siemens! This has come up with a number of folks, so it needs investigated!

I don’t own the charger and it isn’t a place I frequent often, and will even less the next few months as it has become too hot to place tennis this time of year! Someone who actually owns one needs to work the issue to be able to provide Tesla the info they’d ask for and to do any troubleshooting steps. Also they would be able to work with Siemens as well.

I’m busy enough dealing with specific issues on my car with them. However I am expecting a call back today from service, so maybe I’ll bring it up anyway.

I don’t own the charger and it isn’t a place I frequent often, and will even less the next few months as it has become too hot to place tennis this time of year! Someone who actually owns one needs to work the issue to be able to provide Tesla the info they’d ask for and to do any troubleshooting steps. Also they would be able to work with Siemens as well.

I’m busy enough dealing with specific issues on my car with them. However I am expecting a call back today from service, so maybe I’ll bring it up anyway.

Is the versicharge at a commercial site? A tennis court for example? Lots of times commercial sites use 277v for lighting and that's too high for the M3 if I'm not mistaken. MS and MX will both charge from 208v-277v.

Reactions: eprosenx
Having the same issue with my VersiCharge. I am trying to escalate the issue from both Siemens and Tesla. I might just have to buy a new charger.
It seems to be a common issue. The service advisor in Costa Mesa told me that they heard it before, but blamed it on SIEMENS, Siemens on the other hand says the BMW is charging, must be the TESLA, but the Tesla charges at a chargepoint station. I installed a separate charger, cause we have 2 electric cars now.
If you have the VersiCharge with a plug, you can buy an adapter from Tesla and bypass the Siemens box

Is the versicharge at a commercial site? A tennis court for example? Lots of times commercial sites use 277v for lighting and that's too high for the M3 if I'm not mistaken. MS and MX will both charge from 208v-277v.

Good callout, though I know folks have complained here of it not working at their house either which is presumably 240v.

Also, I don't know that J1772 allows for 277v in the spec. I think the HPWC was a weirdo in that it used to allow 277v, but now it does not (they removed that mention from the manual).

It is in the parking structure of the city hall, which is adjacent to the tennis facility. I did just check the PlugShare page which I linked to earlier in this thread and see someone else with a model 3 checked in last week and it apparently worked. So I’ll have to give it a try next time (too hot to play tennis so I haven’t been there in a few weeks).

Just a follow up. Was in the area and just got the latest Tesla firmware update 26.3 so decided to give it a try. And it is working now! So looks like either the firmware update fixed it or the firmware on the siemens was update since I last tried back in June.

Another follow up... went today to charge while playing tennis (starting cooling down slightly in the mornings) and neither charger worked again. It would start, but the would kick off after a few seconds. Firmware has changed since I last used it - 32.2 now. :(