Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant ride comfort in MYP Performance with 19" Gemini wheels/ higher profile tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I would love to have the improved acceleration, low ride height, better brakes etc with MYP, concerned with the ride quality and increased chances of 21" Uberturbine wheels causing problems with the roads around here.

Guess many people sell their 21" wheels and move to 19" Gemini, 20" induction wheels or aftermarket wheels with some higher profile /sidewall tires for increased ride comfort?

Purely from improving ride quality, if I swap out the 21" wheels with stock 19" Gemini wheels and tires, will it improve the ride quality somewhat closer to that of a LR? What else is the recommended approach without spending a ton money? Thanks!! Appreciate everyone inputs

While I would love to have the improved acceleration, low ride height, better brakes etc with MYP, concerned with the ride quality and increased chances of 21" Uberturbine wheels causing problems with the roads around here.

Guess many people sell their 21" wheels and move to 19" Gemini, 20" induction wheels or aftermarket wheels with some higher profile /sidewall tires for increased ride comfort?

Purely from improving ride quality, if I swap out the 21" wheels with stock 19" Gemini wheels and tires, will it improve the ride quality somewhat closer to that of a LR? What else is the recommended approach without spending a ton money? Thanks!! Appreciate everyone inputs
If you switch to 19’s it will give you a similar ride quality to the LR. But that is by no means a good thing.

It goes from very very very harsh to very very harsh.

I have a MYP and I purchased a set of 19" Martian wheels and will be getting Vredstein all weather/season tires. You can recoup the wheel cost as long as you can sell the Urbeturbine obviously but you'll be out a set of new tires. I haven't got them yet so I can't comment on ride improvement but I was primarily after lighter wheels for less unsprung mass and greater acceleration. Hopefully I'll get a ride improvement but we'll see.

I have a MYP and I purchased a set of 19" Martian wheels and will be getting Vredstein all weather/season tires. You can recoup the wheel cost as long as you can sell the Urbeturbine obviously but you'll be out a set of new tires. I haven't got them yet so I can't comment on ride improvement but I was primarily after lighter wheels for less unsprung mass and greater acceleration. Hopefully I'll get a ride improvement but we'll see.
When did you purchase the Martian 19’s? I placed 7/13 and haven’t heard a word from them.

Read some more....General consensus seems to be that stock 19"wheels and tires will not make a great deal of improvement.

Selling 21 Uberturbine wheels and tires when they are brand new in the car and getting aftermarket wheels seems to be the best way forward. Have seen ebay and other prices ranging from $3.5k to $2k for the set of Uberturbine wheels and tires.

I did many test drives (20-30 mins each on varying roads) before I ordered my MYP. I'm sure our local Tesla store cringed when they saw me walk in :D After driving the Long Range and the Performance, there was, to me, not much difference in ride quality. I would say both are very firm and slightly harsh, but I just LOVED the way the MYP looked, so that made my choice easier!

I didn't feel much difference in ride comfort between MYP and LR model on local roads. Both were equally harsh compared. For me difference was on the freeway in terms of road noise and feeling those bumps more. I am sure low profile tires on the 21" uberturbine wheels would have played a major role.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I didn't feel much difference in ride comfort between MYP and LR model on local roads. Both were equally harsh compared. For me difference was on the freeway in terms of road noise and feeling those bumps more. I am sure low profile tires on the 21" uberturbine wheels would have played a major role.

I test drove both back to back several times and definitely did notice some difference in the ride harshness in the MYP. You can feel more of the road. That said, I accepted delivery on a MYP today because I preferred the feel of the suspension of the P over the LR. I spent a few hours behind the wheel today and can 100% say I made the right decision. It's firm but not harsh to the point it's annoying (I had a WRX a few years back and that was annoyingly firm). This is just right IMO. If you're on the fence with the LR vs. the MYP, I would say just go MYP. I agonized over the two for a couple months and now that I have the P, I'm glad I bought it.

What speed range of acceleration is most important to you? There is a version that basically splits the performance level of the MYP and MY LR in the 0-60 sprint and matches the MYP from about 20 mph on up.

The only thing better about the MYP brakes are the wider rotors. The calipers are the same other than color and lettering. I can tell you the ONLY time I've had to use my brakes is when towing or when I need to brake hard to avoid someone. The wider rotors do nothing in the circumstances and only help to prevent fade during repeated use. The regen is so good, on a daily basis I never touch the brakes.

You see a lot of 21" Ubers for sale in the classifieds for a variety of reasons (heavy, limited winter tire options, easier to curb, etc.) If you have snow, you'll either need to replace the summer tires for winter or get another set of wheels. The very low profile tires are more susceptible to damage. They also have a lower load rating than the 19's if you plan to tow.

Depending on where you drive, what kind of roads, there is more than a minimal difference between the 21's and the 19's. The extra sidewall is more curb resistant too and does add a bit more buffer to the suspension and the 19" tires are all season. The 21's are also a big hit to the range if that matters to you.

No Snow or tow in my case. I am used to modified cars with hard suspension set ups but they were all weekend/autox cars not family cars. Getting old also is not helping I guess. :( At the same time, with just $7K price difference, not SO MUCH RIDE comfort difference between MYP and MY LR, possibility of selling the 21" wheels and getting some decent aftermarket wheels or use 19"wheels with better tires etc etc...., MYP is always tempting.

I drove around a rental from Turo. MYP with aftermarket 19”. I thought the ride quality was just fine! (Then again I don’t have any experience with the 21” so who knows)

I drove around a rental from Turo. MYP with aftermarket 19”. I thought the ride quality was just fine! (Then again I don’t have any experience with the 21” so who knows)
I have a MYP and a lot of the ride quality stuff is overblown. They are pretty similar. I’m getting Michelin Pilot AS 4’s put on. Ext week and a friend who has that setup says it helped the ride quality.

I'll make this (relatively) short. My GF had permanent back issues and refused to ride in my (BMW) M3, V8 manual. Complete idiot that I was, I sold the M3 and bought a wallowy Prius. She loved it. I hated it and with her blessing ordered an MYLR for the marginally softer ride. Then the relationship imploded (lesson for me: a car will not cure psychosis). I immediately cancelled the LR, ordered an MYP, delivered in July, and sold the Prius for exactly what I paid, including T&L.

I'm not sure what some expect in a car labeled "performance," but I describe the MYP ride as "supple," not nearly as jarring as my M3 with stock suspension. The MYP beats the M3 in driving dynamics, beats the Prius in practicality, and beats both in long-haul comfort. For me, after 5K miles, the ride perfect.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what some expect in a car labeled "performance," but I describe the MYP ride as "supple," not nearly as jarring as my M3 with stock suspension. The MYP beats the M3 in driving dynamics, beats the Prius in practicality, and beats both in long-haul comfort. For me, after 5K miles, the ride perfect.
This is good to read. I drive my stock suspension E46 M3 a few times a week and it can feel harsh at times on bad roads but neither my wife nor I find it objectionable. I hope we'll feel the same about the MYLR when we finally get around to test driving one.

PS: I'm keeping the ///M3. The MYLR will replace my Volt.

My MYP feels really smooth with my 21" square setup on 265/35-21 A/S tires, with stock Performance suspension.

But then I'm coming from a Model 3 SR+ that had 20" Performance wheels with 245/35-20 Sport tires & was lowered on Eibach springs.

This is good to read. I drive my stock suspension E46 M3 a few times a week and it can feel harsh at times on bad roads but neither my wife nor I find it objectionable. I hope we'll feel the same about the MYLR when we finally get around to test driving one.

PS: I'm keeping the ///M3. The MYLR will replace my Volt.
Hey Shoemakj -- During the delivery wait, I worried whether I'd like the ride in all conditions, curb rash the Ubers, feel their absurd weight, etc. Frankly, no nightmare ride or wheel scenarios have come to pass. The Ubers make the looks of an MYP, for sure, superior in appearance to any aftermarket I've seen so far. For ultimate handling/acceleration, the Martians seem like the way to go. That said, 500 hp/500 foot lbs of torque overcome a multitude of sins, and I'm just "Uber-careful" near anything that could damage the rims. The P-Zero 35 aspect ratio is actually softer and less damage-prone than the 30 aspect ratio on 19-inch Apex rims on my E92M3 or the BBS rims on my previous E46M3. So far, I do not miss either of those wonderful cars. I also worried about the unavailability of the right size all-seasons for the Ubers, but now I've learned that 265/35s will work just fine on the fronts.

Reactions: shoemakj