Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

silicone fobpocket - reviews/input?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't Tesla want to play with AO? AO's the only Tesla accessories outfit this Tesla customer has purchased from. Your silicone FobPocket product, which I paid for, is far better than any fob covers the Tesla Service Center folks gave me for free on numerous occasions (they're lying around in the garage somewhere).

I would think Tesla at this point would support a vibrant aftermarket. Is it a "not invented here" situation, or what?

I'm looking forward to a couple silicone X fob pockets. I have two for our Model S fobs and have had them for a while. I don't use a keyring, so the tab in the back is still intact. Quite honestly, I'd like an option to have no tab - but I realize that's complicating things a bit too much from the manufacturing side.

I thought I saw in another thread that someone was able to fit their X fob into the S silicone pretty well. I may try that with my existing pockets and if it works, buy a couple while I wait on the proper fit.

Why doesn't Tesla want to play with AO? AO's the only Tesla accessories outfit this Tesla customer has purchased from. Your silicone FobPocket product, which I paid for, is far better than any fob covers the Tesla Service Center folks gave me for free on numerous occasions (they're lying around in the garage somewhere).

I would think Tesla at this point would support a vibrant aftermarket. Is it a "not invented here" situation, or what?
I don't know. It's not for lack of trying, although their marketing people tend to rotate through the company relatively quickly. My hope at the start of all this is that Tesla wouldn't bee like every other automotive company, and actually support a 3rd-party ecosystem (subject to all the usual licencing fees and QA signoff). But, clearly not. From talking to the other folks that make accessories, Tesla 'corporate' are zero help, but the local Service Centers tend to be a lot more helpful, since they're more customer-focused. That's certainly my experience, plus (ironically) the US Service Centers, collectively, are by far my largest customer for FobPockets, and those are just the ones that are brave enough to use the SC address &/or @teslamotors.com email.

Thanks. We've actually upgraded the keychain, it's rolling through the colors as the stock turns over, but most of the more popular colors are now completely upgraded. You can see in the photo below that both ends of the chain have changed, the actual ring has been beefed up, and the smaller ring is also a slightly different design which allows for easier alignment during production. The two pictured below were just randomly pulled out of stock, so you can see the new version still isn't quite perfect, but I'll be chatting to the factory about that :). regardless, it's still a lot better than the previous version.

(edit)...we'll, I don't seem to have permission to view my own album, so while we fix that, here's a link to the photo...https://goo.gl/photos/u3juAf4crvm3fT3f9

OK, figured it out. Here's the pic.

keychain comparison.png

I'm looking forward to a couple silicone X fob pockets. I have two for our Model S fobs and have had them for a while. I don't use a keyring, so the tab in the back is still intact. Quite honestly, I'd like an option to have no tab - but I realize that's complicating things a bit too much from the manufacturing side.

I thought I saw in another thread that someone was able to fit their X fob into the S silicone pretty well. I may try that with my existing pockets and if it works, buy a couple while I wait on the proper fit.
We finally have a version of the Silicone FobPocket that's ready for trials!

There's just a few, please email me at pete at abstractocean.com if you wouldn't mind being a tester. You can see a few photos here.

There's a couple of things, in particular, that I want to check:
  • The Button placement, as I don't have a real X key to test with, just a mold. On the final version, any or all of the buttons can be debossed (i.e. stick out) rather than embossed. Initial plan would be to do that for the Trunk, so that it’s easy to blindly figure out which end is which. The windows (for the FWD’s) could also be an option
  • Compared to the Model S FobPocket, this doesn’t have a keychain. I’ve done this because I assume most Model X owners like to use the stringy thing that Tesla provide (I’d also provide the same with the FobPocket). I do have the option to add a chain & keyring too though.

Reactions: AnOutsider
We finally have a version of the Silicone FobPocket that's ready for trials!

There's just a few, please email me at pete at abstractocean.com if you wouldn't mind being a tester. You can see a few photos here.

There's a couple of things, in particular, that I want to check:
  • The Button placement, as I don't have a real X key to test with, just a mold. On the final version, any or all of the buttons can be debossed (i.e. stick out) rather than embossed. Initial plan would be to do that for the Trunk, so that it’s easy to blindly figure out which end is which. The windows (for the FWD’s) could also be an option
  • Compared to the Model S FobPocket, this doesn’t have a keychain. I’ve done this because I assume most Model X owners like to use the stringy thing that Tesla provide (I’d also provide the same with the FobPocket). I do have the option to add a chain & keyring too though.

Sent you an email about trying it out and providing feedback.

Pete.. I've been eye-ing these pockets for years, but never pulled the trigger on them because they're almost what I want. I wish there were no keyring tab. And no markings/indentations for the buttons/windows. Just plain black. Any possibility of a completely sleek/stealth look?

Pete.. I've been eye-ing these pockets for years, but never pulled the trigger on them because they're almost what I want. I wish there were no keyring tab. And no markings/indentations for the buttons/windows. Just plain black. Any possibility of a completely sleek/stealth look?
We have a semi-stealth version, no ink infill, but it does still have the button markings and keyring. For the X, chances are good we'll end up making options with and without keyrings, but I'll await the feedback; there's a big up-front cost each time we have to cast a mold. Who knows though, we might go back and do the same with the S variants; I don't use a keyring (the only 'key' I carry is the Model S fob), so I'd also prefer something without, but I'm not sure I'm a typical use-case :)

I have been searching for a hard to find option, an easily detachable key ring. Being a runner, I want to easily be able to remove the keyring and only take the fob (inside the sleeve) with me in my shorts pocket. This is the only one I could find after an extensive search. Not sure if you have considered an option like this, but it is nice to be able to easily detach 4-5 keys in an instant. Also, handing over to valet you want to easily remove the keyring as well.

1x New Leather Smart Remote Key Fob Case Bag Holder Cover Tesla Model S P85D P70

I have been searching for a hard to find option, an easily detachable key ring. Being a runner, I want to easily be able to remove the keyring and only take the fob (inside the sleeve) with me in my shorts pocket. This is the only one I could find after an extensive search. Not sure if you have considered an option like this, but it is nice to be able to easily detach 4-5 keys in an instant. Also, handing over to valet you want to easily remove the keyring as well.

1x New Leather Smart Remote Key Fob Case Bag Holder Cover Tesla Model S P85D P70
Thanks. I'll look for other keyrings (as add-on options)....not a fan of the zip (adds bulk and scratchy metal), but the detachable keyring might be good.

Why don't you all just cut off the keyring tab if you don't want it?

Personally, one of the reasons I bought the silicon fob pocket was because it had the keyring tab. One of the problems with the fob from Tesla is you can't easily attach a ring to it, and the pocket Tesla provided us with was cumbersome because you can't press the buttons without pulling it out of the pocket. Not a problem for the AO pockets where you can press the keys with the fob still in the pocket.

just to toss an alternative into the discussion... I have one of these black silicone fob covers from Topfit. Tesla gave me a couple of those thick leather fob sleeves - nice looking but I find them rather boxy and bulky. I've not seen the AO ones in person so I can't compare to those, but I like my Topfit one - fits perfectly, the material is of nice quality and seems pretty tough. Mine still looks/feels like new so far, after 6 months of living daily in my pocket with other keys & coins. the white trim is molded-in, not painted so it and the embossed markings seem like they should be durable