Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sill trim detaching

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a year of relatively trouble free motoring, I've just noticed that the trim under one of the sills is starting to detach. About 4 or 5 inches so far. Definitely no collision damage, it's just falling off.

I can see two fixing studs have come adrift but these won't hold when I press the trim back in to position.

Service visit? If so it means 50 miles into Brum or 75 miles to MK. Or gaffer tape :(
IMG_20200914_115322__01.jpg

I think these are the plastic covers that go under the car body. Mine was like that on 3 months after delivery. To be fair it could have been like this since delivery and i havent noticed. I booked service appointment; had a ranger visiting at work. He just pushed it back and it clipped. I was lucky i guess. Been fine since then. If yours dont hold when you push them back then i guess the clips are gone. Book a service appointment. A ranger could be able to replace them i guess.

Service visit? If so it means 50 miles into Brum or 75 miles to MK. Or gaffer tape :(

*ALERT* possible world shortage of gaffer tape ... this based on my recent visit to B&Q ... imagine, no gaffer tape ... in B&Q! In the tapes section there was no branded stuff like Duck, Gorilla and no B&Q own brand. Fortunately in another part of the store there was a separate little Gorilla stand which still had a couple of rolls on its bottom shelf...phew! Now I can tape my Tesla together if required.

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647
I'm not sure I'd dare put gaffer tape on my paint, it's so thin it'd probably peel off with the tape :p
Yes, I will go steady with that. However, can't get a service appointment for nearly a month so I'll need to monitor it closely. The car has full PPF so I don't really want to f@ck that up either! Looking like industrial Blu Tac :)

*ALERT* possible world shortage of gaffer tape ... this based on my recent visit to B&Q ... imagine, no gaffer tape ... in B&Q! In the tapes section there was no branded stuff like Duck, Gorilla and no B&Q own brand. Fortunately in another part of the store there was a separate little Gorilla stand which still had a couple of rolls on its bottom shelf...phew! Now I can tape my Tesla together if required.

I note you are a long distance from me but I found exactly the same problem in my local B&Q and oddly, the only tape was in a Gorilla stand at the end that was virtually empty.

WTF is going on!

Reactions: Adopado
After a year of relatively trouble free motoring, I've just noticed that the trim under one of the sills is starting to detach. About 4 or 5 inches so far. Definitely no collision damage, it's just falling off.

I can see two fixing studs have come adrift but these won't hold when I press the trim back in to position.

Service visit? If so it means 50 miles into Brum or 75 miles to MK. Or gaffer tape :(View attachment 587989

I had the ranger out for this only last week. He confirmed its common and replaced the clips, was a 5 min job.