Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silver Metallic is the most rare color (1/3 of next most rare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my config yesterday and decided to go for silver metallic. I've been snooping around the Model 3 tracker spreadsheet and on the VIN Queue 1 sheet it has a breakdown of how many of each color have been reported as configured. Silver Metallic is far and away the least popular option with only 1/3 as many as the next least popular color (solid black). Looks like I'll have a rare color!

I stopped by the showroom and the only colors they didn't have were silver and red. I knew I didn't want red, but I went ahead with silver sight unseen. Hope it was the right call.

Edit: I missed this graph that makes it easier to see:
upload_2018-5-11_8-22-55.png

upload_2018-5-11_8-16-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-11_8-15-42.png
    upload_2018-5-11_8-15-42.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I saw a Silver M3 charging at a Supercharger in Petaluma, CA on Tuesday and it looked really nice... i don't think you could go wrong with any color...they all are awesome looking. My son works as a valet in a hotel in Colorado and said he got to drive a M3 recently and he is VERY opinionated on cars and his impression of the 3 was very high...he loved it!! I can't wait....20 days in from configuration...waiting on that Vin! :)

Reactions: Maximilien
Silver looks really good on these cars, but I could never do it. I'm so tired of dull colors on cars. I've got a rare BMW I spent a long time shopping for, and ultimately had to settle for silver because the right car was more important to me than the right color. And I've got a grey motorcycle. And my wife's family all have grey cars. I hate the grey/beige car world with a passion, so to me one of the biggest joys of buying a new car is to get the actual color and options I want.

I've heard too many folks on car forums justify buying a 'safe' color combo because 'resale' but in the end it's always the interesting colors that people want. For some reason the 'safe' choices always do better on the new car market. Except, I guess, in the case of Tesla -- I think Blue is the most popular, and Red is quite popular as well. Good job, Tesla buyers! :)

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I legit love silver... and I think it looks amazing. It reminds me of a deloreon which is why I did it, and one of my first favorite cars I ever drove was a top of the line silver accord that was my grandfathers and it was much older when i drove it but I loved it. Had a sunroof.

I went with the regular Silver Metallic although I admit it wasn't my absolute favorite color. However living here in the Phoenix area I was concerned about the dark colors on top of dark interior (i’d get grey or white if I could) and the glass roof. Also after seeing a photo a couple months ago of some Tesla's in a lot after a dust storm reminded me how much better the regular silver looks when dirty/dusty vs. other colors. Again living in the Phoenix area everything gets dusty pretty quick. I'm not the kinda of guy who washes his cars every weekend! ;)

One of the bad things though is I didn't realize how close in color it is to my Glacier Silver BMW X3. Was hoping it would be a bit more "different" - although I do love the color.

I went with the regular Silver Metallic although I admit it wasn't my absolute favorite color. However living here in the Phoenix area I was concerned about the dark colors on top of dark interior (i’d get grey or white if I could) and the glass roof. Also after seeing a photo a couple months ago of some Tesla's in a lot after a dust storm reminded me how much better the regular silver looks when dirty/dusty vs. other colors. Again living in the Phoenix area everything gets dusty pretty quick. I'm not the kinda of guy who washes his cars every weekend! ;)

One of the bad things though is I didn't realize how close in color it is to my Glacier Silver BMW X3. Was hoping it would be a bit more "different" - although I do love the color.
The ultimate luxury is that you can adjust the temp from your phone thus making choices based on temperature shouldn’t be a concern.

Wow, that looks unexpectedly great in my opinion. How did you manage to mock that up? Nice work. I thought that the white seat option wasn’t available quite yet in the Model 3 configurator.

I will be interested to see if anything else in the 3 interior is done in white when the white seat option can be selected in the configurator. Does the rest of the interior remain in black? Will it be possible to get the black headliner with the white seats? On the S/X when you select white seats a section of the interior door panel is changed to white, and that doesn’t look good to me. Aesthetics are subjective...

EDIT: I forgot that Electrek had already reported a February 2018 sighting of a 3 with white seats and the photos of the car on the freeway showed the same white interior door panel areas like on the S/X. See Tesla Model 3 with new white interior spotted in the wild
I will choose M3 DP Silver with white seats and matching siver rims.

tesla_0033.jpg

Last edited:
I love my silver. One of the things I like most about it is that the Tesla badging in chrome is nearly invisible against the silver paint. Until these cars are ubiquitous in a few months, people have to look hard to figure out what the hell just passed by them in the blink of an eye.