Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I travel in places where the internet is very patchy and frequently non existent, so streaming wasn't really an option. I've never had Sirius cut out on me unless I'm in a tunnel or parking garage. Even then in major cities (like NYC), they have terrestrial signals that work in buildings and tunnels, so you stay up there too.

Running the antenna on the dash was a consideration, and was "plan B", but I prefer it to be outside, if possible. Ideally, antennas want to be sitting in the middle of a broad, flat, metal surface. Typically, you use the roof, but the closest thing in the Y was the trunk. The dash is probably fine in most cases, but the trunk should work just a bit better.

I don't find the aesthetics too offensive, especially since the wire is completely hidden. It's in the back, right by the window, and it's not a show car or anything.

Mainly, just posting this in case there's anyone else out there that really misses having Sirius in their Tesla, and giving them options.
An antenna mast on your trunk was very common in the CB and am radio days but trust me plan B just setting it on the dash out of the elements is the simplest plan. Really should look at a new cell provider. True back in 2005 there were many bad cell areas but with a proper phone I have streamed Sirius from my phone never seeing a delay Or outage. It does by design buffer several minutes so any interruptions are waved.

True back in 2005 there were many bad cell areas but with a proper phone I have streamed Sirius from my phone never seeing a delay Or outage.
Drive from Colorado Springs to Steamboat Springs and let me know how that works out for you. Or give it a go over Loveland Pass to Winter Park. Couple that with a cell phone plan that doesn't have unlimited data (Google Fi for me -- even my home is in a cell phone hole and I appreciate the ease at which Google Fi can use wi-fi) and the SiriusXM App is a non-starter.

I live in rural Idaho where cell towers are scarce, so I love satellite radio. I have a 2021 Model Y, and purchased the Serius Roady BT to avoid the issues of connecting directly to the FM tuner, which is located in the rear hatch, about opposite the license plate. Also note that the Sirius radio signal is radio frequency and needs to connect over coaxial, something I've seen misrepresented in a lot of direct FM connection threads. A bluetooth connection solves that problem, but you'll still need to run the sattelite antenna. The Roady powers via a cigarette lighter outlet which on my Y is in the middle console, so I placed my Roady there, and ran the antenna cable under my rear floor mats, under the rear seat, and up the rear passenger pillar and through a small cut slot in the rubber cable hatch raceway. It works OK as positioned in the photo, but I can easily magnetically put it outside too.
IMG_4986.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: ArtK and araxara
I live in rural Idaho where cell towers are scarce, so I love satellite radio. I have a 2021 Model Y, and purchased the Serius Roady BT to avoid the issues of connecting directly to the FM tuner, which is located in the rear hatch, about opposite the license plate. Also note that the Sirius radio signal is radio frequency and needs to connect over coaxial, something I've seen misrepresented in a lot of direct FM connection threads. A bluetooth connection solves that problem, but you'll still need to run the sattelite antenna. The Roady powers via a cigarette lighter outlet which on my Y is in the middle console, so I placed my Roady there, and ran the antenna cable under my rear floor mats, under the rear seat, and up the rear passenger pillar and through a small cut slot in the rubber cable hatch raceway. It works OK as positioned in the photo, but I can easily magnetically put it outside too. View attachment 912370
There is also a second 12V accessory receptacle that could be used. This 12V outlet is located on the left side of the rear hatch storage area next to the switches that fold the second row seats.

So far in my 2 years of MYP ownership, I have used the SiriusXM app as they created without issue or complication. Howard Stern sounds just like it did through the old school radio unit I had years before. Rather simple to use and one of the reasons Sirius created the free app. No more head units.

Reactions: DanDi58
I live in rural Idaho where cell towers are scarce, so I love satellite radio. I have a 2021 Model Y, and purchased the Sirius Roady BT to avoid the issues of connecting directly to the FM tuner, which is located in the rear hatch, about opposite the license plate. Also note that the Sirius radio signal is radio frequency and needs to connect over coaxial, something I've seen misrepresented in a lot of direct FM connection threads. A bluetooth connection solves that problem, but you'll still need to run the sattelite antenna. The Roady powers via a cigarette lighter outlet which on my Y is in the middle console, so I placed my Roady there, and ran the antenna cable under my rear floor mats, under the rear seat, and up the rear passenger pillar and through a small cut slot in the rubber cable hatch raceway. It works OK as positioned in the photo, but I can easily magnetically put it outside too.

Which model of Sirius Roady BT did you use? Any issues with the bluetooth staying connected? I attemped to connect an older model Sirius radio to BT on my 2015 MS 85D and it would not connect. I am looking at this one for the Model Y I am ordering. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WKV7YT2/

I have a 2023 MYP, and am searching for a SiriusXm radio solution. In 2006 I purchased a SiriusXM lifetime subscription. I've have transferred it to different vehicles. I sold my last vehicle with it, and the current owner is still able to use it (he doesn't know the subscription is mine). In order to keep my lifetime subscription, I have to have it attached to a radio receiver. I can access my subscription through the phone app too. I'm looking at getting an Onyx so I at least have a radio to transfer the subscription to, but seems like quite a hasell to install and deal with the antena.

I purchased a SiriusXM Roady BT radio from the giant on-line retailer. I bought the bluetooth radio rather than the FM, as I read the FM connection is sometimes not good. I've also read someone having problems connected the radio and phone at the same time. I encountered the same or similar problem.

I could pair the radio to the car, but it would not connect. And when the radio was paired, my phone would not connect. I restarted the car screen several times, and paired the radio several times, and always had the same result. I called Tesla, and they said they do not provide support for 3rd party devices, only phones. They said the car does support multiple phones to to paired and connected at the same time. I suspect the problem lies with the bluetooth tech in the radio.

I'll either get a different radio to connect via FM. or get the FM adpapter for the Roady BT radio.

Reactions: DonovanMS85D
SiriusXM Advanced Tech support said to return the radio as it may be defective, and try a different one. Same issues with a new one, the radio will pair to the car but not connect. Tech Support said to email Roady BT support. I suspect there's a compatibility issue with the radio. The radio is pretty junky. Tech support said another option is to have their satellite receiver installed professionally, but I'm skeptical that it's possible.

This is an item that I find really frustrating with Tesla. They've cut so many little corners to keep costs down, yet kept some design features that I feel are excessive and/or unnecessary. For example, personally I'm not a fan of the glass roof, for many reasons. The cost of the glass roof over just a metal roof must be quite large. I get that adding satellite would <probably> require an exterior antenna, but they could have figured out how - they did it for Model S and X, didn't they? (S and X have SiriusXM, so I'm assuming there's a satellite antenna, but I don't know). I'd take satellite over the glass roof. And, for F's sake, Elon has his own fleet of satellites floating around! Why not utilize them in his car radios???!!!

^^^^
I initially thought that I would miss Sirius/XM when i purchased my Tesla but I don't. There are plenty of Tune-in stations as well as my four jump drives with over 10k songs. CNN, MSNBC and other news stations as well as all local news AM stations are also now on FM radio.

I’ve had the SiriusXM lifetime since the first year they started. gave up on separate receivers years ago. Just Bluetooth from the phone app on the Tesla and never had an issue. No fuss and simple.

I have 2 lifetime accounts, which gives me 2 steaming accounts (one for my MY, and one for my wife's M3). Did you know there was a class action lawsuit that now makes it so all lifetime accounts can be transferred from even OEM car radios for $35 each time, unlimited transfers?

I wish my MY/M3 had SXM radios, I would transfer both my lifetimes over to them, just so I didn't have to use the phone to switch stations...

But I would be happy if they would at least introduce a streaming app in the UI. But if Tesla came out with a retrofit kit, I would pay to have it installed on both.

Reactions: DonovanMS85D
I have 2 lifetime accounts, which gives me 2 steaming accounts (one for my MY, and one for my wife's M3). Did you know there was a class action lawsuit that now makes it so all lifetime accounts can be transferred from even OEM car radios for $35 each time, unlimited transfers?

I wish my MY/M3 had SXM radios, I would transfer both my lifetimes over to them, just so I didn't have to use the phone to switch stations...

But I would be happy if they would at least introduce a streaming app in the UI. But if Tesla came out with a retrofit kit, I would pay to have it installed on both.
I was aware of the transfer option. Just gave up on the unnecessary exercise and simply use my iPhone. As long as Howard is on I am good to go.