Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
man. . jelly. damnit Tesla. . take my money and make a unit that will go into my car so I can get SXM back.

I will eventually be adding this to my wife's 3... What car do you have a 3? If so, you can add it by buying the module, adapter, and antenna... I went from deciding to do it, to having all the parts in a week. They all came in yesterday, seemed easy enough so I went ahead and did the install.

nice presets! this highlights one of my major annoyances with the UI though...holly isn't really holly (as i'm sure you know). it has been listed as holly, both the icon and text, for almost two years now even though holly left that particular channel right after christmas. to be honest, i'm not sure if it was even on 104 last holiday season...

I wish I had the ability to reorder the favorites, those are NOT in my favorite order. It doesn't seem to be in the order it was added, doesn't seem to be alphabetic, nor numeric. I'm not sure I understand how it ordered it...

I wish I had the ability to reorder the favorites, those are NOT in my favorite order. It doesn't seem to be in the order it was added, doesn't seem to be alphabetic, nor numeric. I'm not sure I understand how it ordered it...
It looks like reverse numerical order (highest to lowest) with the exception of everything after Disney Hits, which is over channel 100.

@dude7 if you want to update your pdf, it is a T8 to remove the radio from the mounting bracket. Of course I had multiple Torx bit/sockets all T10 and larger. So I had to run to Home Depot.

If you want to include this picture to show where the tabs are, the two trim pieces are lined up:
View attachment 985367

There is only 1 harness to unsnap to remove the lower trim piece, it is the white harness in the middle of this picture:

View attachment 985368

I ran the antenna wire along the already existing wire loom on the passenger side. For now, I stuck the magnetic antenna to the trunk lid frame up to the driver’s side of the brake light:

View attachment 985369

View attachment 985370

I ran it to this place incase I want to follow your lead and stick it to the window. I will only have to remove the upper trim piece in order to do this.

After restarting by pressing both steering wheel buttons SiriusXM showed right up. I called and moved my lifetime account, within 5 minutes I had all the channels.

View attachment 985371
It was a very easy install, as you and @crackers8199 said. Thanks for both of your hard work on this. If you have an extra 3D printed mount, I’d be happy to give you money for your materials, shipping, and time.

3 things for others:

1. to remove the latch trim, you slide a flathead screwdriver between the plastic cover and the inside, this will lift a lip on the cover that locks it in place. Fit it between the latch itself and the trim piece.

2. I used this video to identify where to to pull the trim pieces, just note he missed showing the inside of the trim piece from 1. where you are lifting the lip.

3. Make sure all the plastic trim snap pieces come off when you pull the 2 trim pieces. 2 of mine didn’t. Use a plastic trim removal tool to get them out, and snap them back in place on the trim (this is common if you have ever worked on trim pieces).
So does the antenna work fine when mounted on the metal below the window?

But in exchange, it is completely hidden? that seems worth it

Honestly, once you run it to the upper trim piece, it would be easy to try different locations. I can take that upper trim piece in <1 min. But yeah, that was my goal, to keep it fully hidden. Still not sure what I'm going to do, if I try it on the glass, and it cuts out 50% less, I would lean to hidden. But if it cut out 75% less, I would lean toward mounting it on the glass.

EDIT: you can also drive around without the upper trim piece in as you try things out. I drove around without either of the trim pieces last night. I initially tried inside the door, under the spoiler lip (off center, because there is some nonmagnetic piece in the middle). Where it is now was better.

It looks like reverse numerical order (highest to lowest) with the exception of everything after Disney Hits, which is over channel 100.

it's the order you add them. if you remove one and re-add it, it'll go to the top of the list. that's the only way to re-order, sit there and remove them all one by one and put them back in the order you want (with the one you want at the top of the list last and the one you want last entered first so it's at the bottom of the list).

I will eventually be adding this to my wife's 3... What car do you have a 3? If so, you can add it by buying the module, adapter, and antenna... I went from deciding to do it, to having all the parts in a week. They all came in yesterday, seemed easy enough so I went ahead and did the install.
@napsfolyfe if you have a 3 my writeup works, if you have a Y use @dude7's. either way, probably wouldn't hurt to read both to get an idea of everything involved...but it's not really all that difficult, even on a 3. the only thing that's slightly more complicated on the 3 is having to open the tuner and swap the circuit board (and you need a few more parts because of the ribbon connection vs the Y which is already dual fakra), but even that isn't really hard.

I had a few cutouts on my way home. Honestly I think it’s the fact that Tesla doesn’t seam to have a buffer like a lot of the other OEM radios (unless I missed how it works).

But either way, popping off the upper trim is easy enough. I’m going to try this, taping it to the window (note that I have ceramic tint).

I’ll see how my commute is tomorrow (both directions for an average).

IMG_5872.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg

Well, after 1/2 of my daily commute to work, I will say the signal is vastly improved with the antenna in the tapped position I listed above. Following @dude7 placement, I can confirm, for my "to work" commute, it is a way better place to put it here, even without the magnetic base touching grounded metal.

Now, I will have to confirm on my way home (opposite direction) to fully say it is worth the new placement, but if it goes like it did this morning, I will be moving it here.

@dude7 haven't heard from you in a bit, are you able to make another 3D printed antenna mount for me?

Thanks

P.S. I commute almost directly 26 miles W (about 5 miles south), so going home will be the same 26 miles E. The roads do wind around, so there are times I am pointing North and South during both directions. In Brooklyn, I am between midrise buildings, the rest of the time, I'm between trees, and passing under overpasses.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Sorry, I'm new to this community and not very active. @RedTib, the STL file is attached. Since STL files are not allowed to be posted here, I had to zip it. To everyone, I'm releasing this under a CC BY-NC-SA license. Among other things, this means you are free to share and remix it for noncommercial purposes.

For those who will 3D print this thing, PETG is highly, highly recommended because this thing will be in the sun. Supports are not needed if you rotate it. This mount is designed to fit the NGVA3 antenna from SiriusXM. I am aware that other SiriusXM branded antennas exist and may be a different size. For example, I have one from SiriusXM labeled "1037" that's smaller in every dimension compared to the NGVA3.

I've had as-perfect-as-possible reception with the mount, stuck to the glass. My reception is no different than in other cars with SXM direct from the factory. If someone figures out a better way to hide it on a Model Y, I'm all ears.

@JayPaul send me a DM. I can print one for you.

Attachments

• SXM antenna mount by dude7 (CC BY-NC-SA).zip
    559 bytes · Views: 57
Sorry, I'm new to this community and not very active. @RedTib, the STL file is attached. Since STL files are not allowed to be posted here, I had to zip it. To everyone, I'm releasing this under a CC BY-NC-SA license. Among other things, this means you are free to share and remix it for noncommercial purposes.

For those who will 3D print this thing, PETG is highly, highly recommended because this thing will be in the sun. Supports are not needed if you rotate it. This mount is designed to fit the NGVA3 antenna from SiriusXM. I am aware that other SiriusXM branded antennas exist and may be a different size. For example, I have one from SiriusXM labeled "1037" that's smaller in every dimension compared to the NGVA3.

I've had as-perfect-as-possible reception with the mount, stuck to the glass. My reception is no different than in other cars with SXM direct from the factory. If someone figures out a better way to hide it on a Model Y, I'm all ears.

@JayPaul send me a DM. I can print one for you.
Thank you. I don't know much about 3D printing, but my local library can print using PLA and nGen. Would either of these be a good alternative?

Thank you. I don't know much about 3D printing, but my local library can print using PLA and nGen. Would either of these be a good alternative?
PLA will get warped in the sun/heat and will probably fall down after a while. I've never used nGen but it's supposed to be close to PETG, with some good and bad tradeoffs. I'm guessing nGen will work for this mount.

Reactions: RedTib
@RedTib, I forgot to mention this. Ask if your library's 3D printer is calibrated. The tolerances are pretty tight on the print. I think I made it about 1% oversized for the NGVA3 antenna. That's good for a well-calibrated 3D printer. If it hasn't been calibrated for a while, you might want to ask them to scale it up by 1% or 2% to ensure that it'll fit.