Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nice...i still need to do one for the 3. i meant to do it after i finished the blog post but haven't gotten around to it...

i do especially want to do a short at least for opening up the tuner, so anyone looking to do this on the 3 can see how easy it is. it's stupid simple to do but people might get scared off without seeing how easy it actually is.
A buddy of mine has an Intel 3; he may want me to do the retrofit for him; I might make a video for that as well. It seems like a much more involved process for the 3 compared to the Y.

Reactions: crackers8199
A buddy of mine has an Intel 3; he may want me to do the retrofit for him; I might make a video for that as well. It seems like a much more involved process for the 3 compared to the Y.

the hardest part by far is opening up the tuner and doing the board swap. the rest is simple...a little more involved since the FM antenna needs a second amp and the jumper wires, but after doing the tuner housing swap it's super easy.

even the board swap is easy, it's just harder than everything else. literally all it takes to open the tuner is removing six screws, cutting the warranty sticker, and sticking a slotted screw driver into the side of the tuner and twisting a bit. it pops right open.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Big shout out to all that contributed to this post! I have been using SXM for several years, recently bought a 2023 MYLR (AMD Ryzen) and was bummed that I couldn't get Sirius. After reviewing this post I bought a used receiver from EBay out of a 2018 Model S (1143711-00-B) followed @dude7 excellent instructions that he posted and all is working well. After installation I did a reboot by pressing down on both steering wheel buttons and SXM showed immediately playing the preview channel. After copying down the radio ID number, I went on line and signed up for a 3 month trial. I did have an issue getting the radio to activate, but finally after multiple refresh attempts I figured I would try putting the MY to sleep and then waking it and that worked.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
Big shout out to all that contributed to this post! I have been using SXM for several years, recently bought a 2023 MYLR (AMD Ryzen) and was bummed that I couldn't get Sirius. After reviewing this post I bought a used receiver from EBay out of a 2018 Model S (1143711-00-B) followed @dude7 excellent instructions that he posted and all is working well. After installation I did a reboot by pressing down on both steering wheel buttons and SXM showed immediately playing the preview channel. After copying down the radio ID number, I went on line and signed up for a 3 month trial. I did have an issue getting the radio to activate, but finally after multiple refresh attempts I figured I would try putting the MY to sleep and then waking it and that worked.
that’s awesome to hear! I’ve found that the double press of both buttons on the steering wheel is the best way to get a refresh signal to process. I have a feeling that the refresh button might not do anything on the 3/Y

@jcrocketman - What software version are you on for your MYLR?

I've got SXM in my other vehicles and was bummed I couldn't get it in the MYP. I have been using Premium Connectivity for the past few months and it's a decent alternative and I'm quite happy with it.

i'll ask the same question i ask every time someone suggests this: how well does that work when there's no cell service?

I've got SXM in my other vehicles and was bummed I couldn't get it in the MYP. I have been using Premium Connectivity for the past few months and it's a decent alternative and I'm quite happy with it.
"¿Por qué no los dos?" I have both now; I love SXM, as there are plenty of areas that don't have cell service heading down to LA and Las Vegas. And when 4G/LTE gets nuked in favor of expanded 5G coverage, those cell blackhole spots will only get more numerous. I assume it will take a bit for Tesla to opt into a 5G modem on the MCU.

Just FYI. I’ve been on 2023.44.5.1 since Friday. Today I went for a drive and I’d say 60% of my favorites are no longer showing in favorites. If I go to all channels, all the channels are available. Those that were on my favorites show as already on my favorites when I tune into the channel. If I remove the favorite “Star” and readd it, it returns to the favorites screen.

It means I have to redo everything to get the right order.

Still worth it.

Just FYI. I’ve been on 2023.44.5.1 since Friday. Today I went for a drive and I’d say 60% of my favorites are no longer showing in favorites. If I go to all channels, all the channels are available. Those that were on my favorites show as already on my favorites when I tune into the channel. If I remove the favorite “Star” and readd it, it returns to the favorites screen.

It means I have to redo everything to get the right order.

Still worth it.

yeah, issues with favorites have been reported by multiple people on the holiday update. pathetic.

So frustrating that favorites are broken again. Favorites appear but the scroll wheel no longer cycles through them, instead it goes through all channels in numerical order. This has been an ingoing issue for years and speaks to how low a priority the entire infotainment ecosystem is when it comes to resources and code review. Hopefully it gets resolved in a future update.

So frustrating that favorites are broken again. Favorites appear but the scroll wheel no longer cycles through them, instead it goes through all channels in numerical order. This has been an ingoing issue for years and speaks to how low a priority the entire infotainment ecosystem is when it comes to resources and code review. Hopefully it gets resolved in a future update.

considering it took them over a year to fix it last time, don't hold your breath. elon is too busy fighting with people on twitter to care about tesla's software.

Reactions: KevinT3141 and ArtK
the hardest part by far is opening up the tuner and doing the board swap. the rest is simple...a little more involved since the FM antenna needs a second amp and the jumper wires, but after doing the tuner housing swap it's super easy.

even the board swap is easy, it's just harder than everything else. literally all it takes to open the tuner is removing six screws, cutting the warranty sticker, and sticking a slotted screw driver into the side of the tuner and twisting a bit. it pops right open.
Following this and the related threads with interest, I have a 2023 MYLR, with Ryzen CPU. Why the need to do a board swap? Why not replace the whole assembly, bracket, enclosure and all? Assuming using the Plaid tuner 1622932-00-B. Thanks to all for their research and experimentation.

Following this and the related threads with interest, I have a 2023 MYLR, with Ryzen CPU. Why the need to do a board swap? Why not replace the whole assembly, bracket, enclosure and all? Assuming using the Plaid tuner 1622932-00-B. Thanks to all for their research and experimentation.
A board swap is needed for the 3 because of the way they are attached to the frame. The Y does NOT require it.

the mounting bracket on the 3 is riveted to the tuner. the only options are to either drill out the rivets or swap the S/X tuner board into the housing that is attached to the mounting bracket.

A board swap is needed for the 3 because of the way they are attached to the frame. The Y does NOT require it.
I noted in your install video you installed the antenna between the glass and the hatch frame? Using double-sided 3M tape to secure it? Or the magnet? Is stress on the glass any concern or is there sufficient clearance? I’ve seen others take te approach of removing the antenna from its enclosure to reduce its thickness. Lots of questions lol Thanks for any advice!

I noted in your install video you installed the antenna between the glass and the hatch frame? Using double-sided 3M tape to secure it? Or the magnet? Is stress on the glass any concern or is there sufficient clearance? I’ve seen others take te approach of removing the antenna from its enclosure to reduce its thickness. Lots of questions lol Thanks for any advice!
I am just using the magnet on the back. The thickness is a minor concern for me but not a massive concern. I have not had any significant heat days to test if it will apply more pressure, but I personally do not believe it will be a problem then. It is barely, and I mean BARELY, touching the glass. Plus, the small silicon dots on the bottom of the antenna give additional room for pressure and a squish point. If it breaks, all of you will be the first to know! I have not made any modifications to the antenna myself.

Reactions: sdmack