Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want the STL file for the 3D model, let me know. I printed in PETG since this thing will be exposed to sunlight. My model fits the NGVA3 model SXM antenna and the 3M Command strips perfectly. I'm not sure if all SXM antenna models are the same size, just FYI. I know the off-brand antenna is not the same size.
I would love the file. Thank you so much!

My MYP is pretty much a daily driver that pretty much stays in town for the most part. I do visit my parents often and mobile phones typically don't work in the area. I've had zero issues with the music being able to continue streaming.

There are areas where I would lose cell service on my commute home from Brooklyn to Long Island... I 100% would lose SXM streaming at about three spots (depending on speed, in traffic it cuts out longer)). Having integrated SXM in the TMY now, I lose audio significantly less (only if I am sitting in traffic under an overpass). It really depends on you cell carrier, and signal. I also lose premium connectivity on my commute (the I get the live traffic x) in a spot on the way home. Because I am going slow in traffic, these cutouts can take minutes (without traffic it may be seconds or not at all).

It was well worth the <$200 I spent in parts, and 30 mins or so to install to have unerupted signal on my daily commute. Oh, and it's nice to reduce the streaming off of my phone. But I do have it as a backup...

I transferred a lifetime account to this SXM module, if I had to pay, I probably wouldn't have done this. (I have lifetime streaming because of this account)

Last edited:
Reactions: RedSupraT
My MYP is pretty much a daily driver that pretty much stays in town for the most part. I do visit my parents often and mobile phones typically don't work in the area. I've had zero issues with the music being able to continue streaming.

you’re moving the goalposts and (probably intentionally) not actually answering the question.

streaming doesn’t work when there’s no cell service. full stop.

you’re moving the goalposts and (probably intentionally) not actually answering the question.

streaming doesn’t work when there’s no cell service. full stop.
All I'm saying is my phone doesn't work at my parents (except with wifi calling) but I have zero problems playing music via Premium Connectivity in the car there. Not sure if that's what you were asking. Perhaps it's Verizon coverage is different than AT&T (which I believe is what Premium Connectivity uses to connect)

All I'm saying is my phone doesn't work at my parents (except with wifi calling) but I have zero problems playing music via Premium Connectivity in the car there. Not sure if that's what you were asking.

that's probably because although your phone doesn't work, there's enough limited service for the car to continue loading one song at a time as it goes.

if you're trying to stream something like SXM which is a live continuous stream vs one song at a time, you'd probably have different results. also, there are plenty of areas in this country where there's no cell service, period, for miles and miles at a time. i drove a road trip in May through ND, MT, WY, ID and UT where i would have literally sat in silence for HOURS had i tried to use any type of streaming.

that's probably because although your phone doesn't work, there's enough limited service for the car to continue loading one song at a time as it goes.

if you're trying to stream something like SXM which is a live continuous stream vs one song at a time, you'd probably have different results. also, there are plenty of areas in this country where there's no cell service, period, for miles and miles at a time. i drove a road trip in May through ND, MT, WY, ID and UT where i would have literally sat in silence for HOURS had i tried to use any type of streaming.
That makes sense. I've never tried doing ANYTHING other than play music so you're most likely 100% correct. 👍

Reactions: crackers8199
That makes sense. I've never tried doing ANYTHING other than play music so you're most likely 100% correct. 👍

wasn't trying to be a jerk or condescending to you btw, so if i came across that way i apologize. i just get frustrated when people suggest streaming any time anyone asks a question about this subject...it happened continually when we were discussing it on the 3 forum (which paved the way for the thread we're in now), to the point where mods had to tell people to stop because it was cluttering the discussion about what we were trying to accomplish.

Reactions: KevinT3141
wasn't trying to be a jerk or condescending to you btw, so if i came across that way i apologize. i just get frustrated when people suggest streaming any time anyone asks a question about this subject...it happened continually when we were discussing it on the 3 forum (which paved the way for the thread we're in now), to the point where mods had to tell people to stop because it was cluttering the discussion about what we were trying to accomplish.
No problem at all. My "streaming" is simply playing music and that's obviously a far cry from what just about everyone else uses "streaming" to do! LOL

• Funny
Reactions: crackers8199
I think for most people streaming would be adequate for their daily lives... I think an SXM tuner is better, but for most Tesla owners, they could survive without it. It would just require being ok with switching to BT audio on your phone or on USB storage when out of cellular range.

But for those of us who have lifetime account(s), live in remote areas with limited cell coverage, or simply would like to have options, Tesla should accommodate us. We are willing to pay, for a working and properly maintained SXM satellite interface. It could be a retrofit kit so that it does not have to increase assembly line costs...

It wouldn't force anyone to get things they don't want, but it would be more inclusive.

I do think that they 100% should implement the SXM streaming app, regardless. There are considerably more channels, and historic content available via streaming. I would definitely use the app as well as my retrofitted satellite connection.

Reactions: KevinT3141 and ArtK
this is the part that annoys the hell out of me. i can't fathom why they didn't at least make it an option, especially since we have shown it's not all that complicated to make the existing tuners fit existing cars.

I think if they actually offered in on the 3/Y, they would HAVE to do a better job with each OS release. Perhaps this is why they haven't done it, they don't want to... There would be too many customers upset, S/X ownership numbers are so much smaller than 3/Y.

But, either way, they actually have owners that they sold a working product to with an S/X, I'm not sure how they justify continued issues.

I think if they actually offered in on the 3/Y, they would HAVE to do a better job with each OS release. Perhaps this is why they haven't done it, they don't want to... There would be too many customers upset, S/X ownership numbers are so much smaller than 3/Y.

But, either way, they actually have owners that they sold a working product to with an S/X, I'm not sure how they justify continued issues.

that’s the part that is even more crazy. if i bought a $100k car with the continual software issues the SXM interface has, i’d never buy another tesla. for us it’s at least a little more understandable since we’re using it in an unsupported configuration…but S and X owners paid over $100k for their cars and a basic feature doesn’t even work correctly a majority of the time. it’s insane.

this is the part that annoys the hell out of me. i can't fathom why they didn't at least make it an option, especially since we have shown it's not all that complicated to make the existing tuners fit existing cars.
I now really believe (in view of petulant Elon’s recently announced plan to drop Disney+ from some Teslas after Disney withdrew advertising from X) that he must have had a disagreement or argument with Sirius/XM shortly before the finalization of Model 3 specs and impulsively said “fu€k em” — effectively screwing thousands of Sirius fans like me with lifetime subscriptions.

Has anyone had any luck finding 1622932-00-A or B from a parts dealer/online junkyard? There aren't any listed currently on eBay, and I'd like to perform this upgrade on my 2023 MYLR.

Also, has anyone confirmed the Howard Stern channels are available?

Big thanks to all who took that leap to get this sorted and have documented the processes for us!

Has anyone had any luck finding 1622932-00-A or B from a parts dealer/online junkyard? There aren't any listed currently on eBay, and I'd like to perform this upgrade on my 2023 MYLR.

Also, has anyone confirmed the Howard Stern channels are available?

Big thanks to all who took that leap to get this sorted and have documented the processes for us!

I have a 1143711-00-B from ebay that is working and have Howard Stern.