Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EU Tesla Owners, 2023.6.8 has been released. Please report back if this fixes the SiriusXM distortion problem on your car. The fix is not listed in the notes. Thanks.
Not EU, but NA... I just updated to 2023.6.8 and can report that the issue with SiriusXM and FM radio appears to be fixed. I tried multiple volume changes both slow and quick as well as equalizer changes for both sources. I did notice a click when moving an equalizer slider but not after leaving it.

Of course, this is only a minimal test and since an update involves a reboot (which would fix things for me temporarily) I will continue to test over the next few days.

Updated software today -- March 20th, 2023. Release notes just say that Icelandic language is now supported. But, it seems to have made XM radio work again. Listened for 5 minutes, could hear every word. One small step for man.

give it some time. mine usually works after an update (or after sitting for a while in the garage powered down), but then the static picks back up again.

hopeful this new update will fix it, but i'm not holding my breath until we actually see it fixed.

Just put Sirius in my Model X 2015 with MCU 2 (Intel Atom) I believe. The installation was like $500usd. Moved my subscription then had Audio, got in the car the next day and had the stations but no Audio.

Had to do a full system reset holding the two buttons down, on reboot the Audio worked again. So now I know I will need to reboot the computer whenever this problem occurs.

Not experiencing the spotty sound issue as of yet, but I am new and in Fort Lauderdale Florida and maybe it is not an issue here, or maybe I will need to post in a month when I have more experience.

"User Interface Improvements" not in bold, usual deceiptful update non forward answer from Tesla. But hey Radio now unborked and working correclty as intended. mandatory arbitration avoided! V11.1 (2023.6.8 ca519fc096f3
Tesla never lists individual bug fixes in the release notes for software updates, just new features.

Glad to hear that the update seems to have fixed things, though! Looking forward to getting it on the FSDb branch.

definitely NOT fixed. can still easily trigger the static by adjusting the EQ. shocker.

I cannot for the life of me fathom how a car that can literally just about drive itself can have an infotainment system this awful. it's infuriating

Last edited:
Appears to finally be fixed for me. Also a bug with Recents & Favorites not saving for almost a year now seems to be fixed as well. About damn time! Sheesh. Enjoy it until another update comes along..

are you talking about the bug where the scroll wheel doesn't cycle through favorites? that one isn't fixed for me either.

the way their code fixes issues for some but not for others is even more infuriating than the garbage infotainment system. i'll try a reboot and see if that has any effect.

are you talking about the bug where the scroll wheel doesn't cycle through favorites? that one isn't fixed for me either.

the way their code fixes issues for some but not for others is even more infuriating than the garbage infotainment system. i'll try a reboot and see if that has any effect.

So if I slide the menu full I could see all my favorites. But if I shrunk it down to just the icons on the bottom they would disappear. I could unfavorite them then re-add them. But they would just disappear during the drive or next restart. So when I used the steering buttons to change stations, it would just go up and down channels rather than favorites. Now it is saving my favorites again and only cycling them. Hopefully a fix will come for you soon! Incredibly frustrating for sure.. I have a 2015 Model S with MCU upgrade/radio tuner. I’m still getting slightly static when changing volume and occasional playback hiccups but nothing like it was. I’d say my issues are 95% solved.

Reactions: crackers8199
So if I slide the menu full I could see all my favorites. But if I shrunk it down to just the icons on the bottom they would disappear. I could unfavorite them then re-add them. But they would just disappear during the drive or next restart. So when I used the steering buttons to change stations, it would just go up and down channels rather than favorites. Now it is saving my favorites again and only cycling them. Hopefully a fix will come for you soon! Incredibly frustrating for sure.. I have a 2015 Model S with MCU upgrade/radio tuner. I’m still getting slightly static when changing volume and occasional playback hiccups but nothing like it was. I’d say my issues are 95% solved.

like i said, i'll have to try a scroll wheel reboot and see if that fixes it - but it definitely was not fully fixed after just the software update (could easily still reproduce the static via the EQ changes while tuner was active).

if they finally fixed the favorites though, that is huge. that definitely wasn't fixed for me either right after update, but i'll have to try remove and re-add and see if that works (that has been the solution in the past, but it would always forget them after a few minutes). maybe now it'll finally stick.

EU Tesla Owners, 2023.6.8 has been released. Please report back if this fixes the SiriusXM distortion problem on your car. The fix is not listed in the notes. Thanks.
My 2015 Model S just took 2023.6.8 - a big jump from my previous 2023.2.12. I did a quick 30 second test. I'm happy to report the static in the FM radio appears to be gone. I don't have a Sirius XM subscription.

My 2015 Model S just took 2023.6.8 - a big jump from my previous 2023.2.12. I did a quick 30 second test. I'm happy to report the static in the FM radio appears to be gone. I don't have a Sirius XM subscription.

give it some time...it'll come back. mine was still there after install, went away with a reboot, and then came back tonight (not nearly as bad as it was, but still can trigger it again via the EQ).

the bigger headline on this update is that the favorites issue does in fact seem to be fixed (knock on wood...) mine have persisted thru more than one reboot and about 10 hours now, and I can cycle through them with the wheel buttons finally. only 22 though, anything after that doesn't cycle with the wheel. not sure how they settled on that number, but it's better than the zero it was before.

give it some time...it'll come back. mine was still there after install, went away with a reboot, and then came back tonight (not nearly as bad as it was, but still can trigger it again via the EQ).

the bigger headline on this update is that the favorites issue does in fact seem to be fixed (knock on wood...) mine have persisted thru more than one reboot and about 10 hours now, and I can cycle through them with the wheel buttons finally. only 22 though, anything after that doesn't cycle with the wheel. not sure how they settled on that number, but it's better than the zero it was before.

Upon further scrutiny, I agree that distortion (static) is audible when adjusting the volume, balance, or equalizer settings during FM radio and Sirius operation (I don't have a subscription but I tested with the free channel). I haven't detected any distortion other than that. The dropout that used to be there with all other audio sources appears to be resolved. I'm content with the current status, but I'm still a little disappointed as I paid an extra $$$ for the premium audio option and I think Tesla has degraded this premium audio experience. I never imagined that features would be degraded after purchase.

Tesla doesn't want you to have XM radio; it's a licensing fee to use their HW to connect to the Sattelite. Xm integration Tesla chose to develop their own integration API. It's the worst integration ever. See a 2010 Nissan Leaf with XM as example, had traffic and weather too. Tesla is cheap and doesn't want to be tethered to a third party paying fees for licensing. This has never been a secret.

Tesla doesn't want you to have XM radio; it's a licensing fee to use their HW to connect to the Sattelite. Xm integration Tesla chose to develop their own integration API. It's the worst integration ever. See a 2010 Nissan Leaf with XM as example, had traffic and weather too. Tesla is cheap and doesn't want to be tethered to a third party paying fees for licensing. This has never been a secret.
Do you have a citation for "it's a licensing fee to use their HW to connect to the Satellite"? This NY Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/...inate-the-dashboard-of-the-connected-car.html) claims the opposite - "SiriusXM pays about $1 billion a year in subsidies and revenue splits to automakers, and according to the company, 75 percent of all new vehicles sold in the United States come with satellite radio installed. (It works with every major carmaker.)"

It still may be true that Tesla doesn't care much about supporting Sirius XM, but it's not because of licensing fees.