Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting idle in garage for 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for the misstatement. I am new to the nomenclature.
Yes, our garage has several outlets, including this one.
View attachment 369789

I was considering buying this wall charger (sold out).
Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug
If you really drive so few miles, there’s really no need to buy an extra wall connector, nor pay an electrician to add a 240-Volt wall outlet. You can Supercharge when convenient, or charge at home. As others mentioned, you can simply charge up at home using your existing 110-Volt outlet and the 110-Volt connector that came in the trunk of your 3 (it’s in the square black zippered “bag”). Tesla suggests setting your charge level to 90%.

I apologize for the misstatement. I am new to the nomenclature.
Yes, our garage has several outlets, including this one.
View attachment 369789

I was considering buying this wall charger (sold out).
Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

That is a 5-20 outlet. It is still 120V but rated at 20 amps (vs that outlet of 15 amp).

The plugged Wall Connector will not work with that outlet, you will need to have an electrician wire a 14-50 outlet (240V, 50A).

If you don't drive much, you will be fine with just the UMC provided with the car. For $35, you can buy the 5-20 adapter which will get you 4 miles of charge per hour (vs 3 on the regular outlet). This can get you 50 miles overnight (assuming 12 hours plugged in), which is more than you typically need and can hit the supercharger for the rare days you need more.

Charging at home will be cheaper and better for the car than constantly using the superchargers.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Edit:. I need to type faster, it looks like the previous two posts said the exact same thing I said.

Tesla is partly to blame for this. Yes she should have read the home charging page on Tesla’s web site to learn about her options, before taking delivery of the car, and yes she should have read the owners manual as this car is unlike any she’s ever owned. But Elon says selling EVs is all about education, right? So how can Tesla let her drive off in a new Model 3 without her even knowing how to plug it in?

MANY THANKS. YelliYeti and brkaus, you just saved me $500.

"learning curve" accomplished.
Great! You can always change your mind later. I went with a inexpensive outlet installed right under my breaker panel for the first 6 months. It was about $90 to have installed (but not permitted). I am not lucky enough to have a supercharger nearby.

Anyway, that gave me time to understand how much charging I really needed, where it was best to park the car in the garage (The S is much larger than my previous car), and get a grasp of the utility options. I did finally end up buying an HPWC because of the long cord. Was able to leverage a utility company rebate to cover 50% of the cost. Had it permitted, etc.

Enjoy your new car!!!

Tesla is partly to blame for this. Yes she should have read the home charging page on Tesla’s web site to learn about her options, before taking delivery of the car, and yes she should have read the owners manual as this car is unlike any she’s ever owned. But Elon says selling EVs is all about education, right? So how can Tesla let her drive off in a new Model 3 without her even knowing how to plug it in?

I doubt she doesn't know how to plug in the car. She said she goes to a nearby Supercharger. Not everyone plans to charge at home and as you know not everyone has the ability to do so for various reasons. It would be good when she is in town to slow charge at home occasionally instead of always using the Supercharger, which on a Model 3 might be cheaper for her to do anyway (no idea of Fla. electricity rates compared to paying at the SC).

Someone mentioned charging to 90% but just to be clear that would be for normal usage not when she's away from the car during the 3-months. 50-60% best during that time.

Reactions: Don TLR