Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting on the side of the highway with a flat tire ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
With a flat from hitting a pothole ... The last time a pothole gave me a flat was 15 years ago. And I've been driving low profile tires for the last 6.
Hard to keep that perspective of the last time I had a flat - because all I want to do right now is get home after 180 miles of driving and it's 9pm and I have to wait for a tow and have my sister pick me up cuz they can't bring me home (or I can call a cab). It'll be another 90+ minutes before I'm home.
Sigh. Then I have no car and its holiday weekend blah blah.
Not terribly convenient.
Now, to entertain myself safely at night in the highway breakdown lane ... At least I can run the a/c ...

While saddened about your situation I would update the title of the post to include that you are sitting with a 'flat' and not due to the drivetrain or other TM unique to EV technology.

With a flat from hitting a pothole ... The last time a pothole gave me a flat was 15 years ago. And I've been driving low profile tires for the last 6.
Hard to keep that perspective of the last time I had a flat - because all I want to do right now is get home after 180 miles of driving and it's 9pm and I have to wait for a tow and have my sister pick me up cuz they can't bring me home (or I can call a cab). It'll be another 90+ minutes before I'm home.
Not terribly convenient.
Now, to entertain myself safely at night in the highway breakdown lane ... At least I can run the a/c ...

First--not fun, and I can only imagine what a pain this is right now. Sorry that this happened at all--much less over the holiday weekend.

Can you tell us a little more info--was it a huge pot hole? Are you thinking it's because of the 21" tires you got a flat? I'm having a hard time deciding if you are mad at the tires or just in general about the flat. Or...because no spare?

Last edited:
First--not fun, and I can only imagine what a pain this is right now. Sorry that this happened at all--much less over the holiday weekend.

Can you tell us a little more info--was it a huge pot hole? Are you thinking it's because of the 21" tires you got a flat? I'm having a hard time deciding if you are mad at the tires or just in general about the flat. Or...because no spare?

Well, I was ruminating the 21" vs. 19" "problem" but then a BMW pulled in behind me with a flat from the same pothole! He didn't have low-profile tires.

So, I'm more upset at not having a spare tire to get myself home and still have a car until I can get the real one fixed. As it stands now, I'm without a car until Tuesday.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ben. I am sorry that you have a flat tire. Don't you have a kit to fix the damaged tire easily?

Not from hitting a pothole that creates an instant flat -- that's sidewall damage and/or a tear vs. a nail or something that a kit could (at least temporarily) fix.

Well, I was ruminating the 21" vs. 19" "problem" but then a BMW pulled in behind me with a flat from the same pothole! He didn't have low-profile tires.

So, I'm more upset at not having a spare tire to get myself home and still have a car until I can get the real one fixed. As it stands now, I'm without a car until Tuesday.

- - - Updated - - -

Not from hitting a pothole that creates an instant flat -- that's sidewall damage and/or a tear vs. a nail or something that a kit could (at least temporarily) fix.

That sucks.

While saddened about your situation I would update the title of the post to include that you are sitting with a 'flat' and not due to the drivetrain or other TM unique to EV technology.

I hear you. I did think of that when I created the title. I'm not convinced (at least not yet) that it needs changing. It's a little incendiary because of the choice not to include a spare (which, ironically enough, I didn't care about and when I saw people complain that there wasn't a spare, I didn't get it). I don't see how the title could be used against us -- but I'm willing to hear others' opinions and take action if it makes sense.

Edit: looks like someone took the liberty of changing it (mods: please note when you do that).

One advantage of requiring winter wheels is that I have four complete wheels in reserve if this ever happens to me. Fetch one wheel and install to limp home, then change the other three and run on winter tires until I can get the wheel/tire fixed or replaced.

I hear you. I did think of that when I created the title. I'm not convinced (at least not yet) that it needs changing. It's a little incendiary because of the choice not to include a spare (which, ironically enough, I didn't care about and when I saw people complain that there wasn't a spare, I didn't get it). I don't see how the title could be used against us -- but I'm willing to hear others' opinions and take action if it makes sense.

Edit: looks like someone took the liberty of changing it (mods: please note when you do that).

Sucks. Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the 21" tire that blew? I understand that this pothole might have claimed a BMW as another victim, but curious nonetheless.

Sucks. Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the 21" tire that blew? I understand that this pothole might have claimed a BMW as another victim, but curious nonetheless.

I don't know the exact number as I had winters on for a while. I have almost 17k on the car, and the winters were probably ... 6k of that.. So maybe 11ish?

One advantage of requiring winter wheels is that I have four complete wheels in reserve if this ever happens to me. Fetch one wheel and install to limp home, then change the other three and run on winter tires until I can get the wheel/tire fixed or replaced.

You keep a spare in the trunk? Curious as I was considering that.

Not terribly convenient.

A luxury sedan without a spare-tire or jack..unbelievable.

BTW, the shoulder is a really dangerous place to be. You should have driven it to nearest off-ramp, & parked it the

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's not good news anyway you slice it, but I'm thankful to know it wasn't because of the 21" (as BMW got hit too). Must have been one heck a of a pot hole--I've seen some that would do some serious damage to any car.

Did you have it towed to your house or to service center?

Again sorry to hear about it, but it certainly was a unlucky hit.

I too have not had a flat in many many years. However, because of the potential inconvenience, I purchased a can of Fix-A-Flat, which MIGHT be a temporary solution in a percentage of cases.
However, on one occasion (in 35 years of driving), I did get a blowout on the highway, from a tire iron, fortunately a spare tire got me to a tire store (Santa Barbara) where I purchased a replacement.

If you're gonna get stranded, I can't think of a better place than Santa Barbara.