Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slate style Tesla Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think they are giving up on the solar roof tiles?

BTW I have the textured glass tiles, not smooth.
Apologies, I think I mistakenly extrapolated articles I read. Probably more accurate if I'd said they never released the other shapes - slate and tuscan. It looks like the smooth and textured have the same shape, so I thought they were just one and the same.

My personal opinion is they've given up on it, just because there doesn't seem to be any meaningful progress in releasing the products announced years ago, growing the business to where it could be profitable, overcoming their naivete about how to train teams to install roofing products esp on more complex roofs. It's not a dead business, but it's not very alive either ....

Upvote 0
Why do you think they are giving up on the solar roof tiles?

BTW I have the textured glass tiles, not smooth.

My add is the cost vs. profit. Historically, Tesla had to double the install cost for people who already had signed contracts since I'm guessing they were losing a lot of $$ to install at the old price. Customers were all planning to sue so Tesla backed down and either honored the contracts or just pulled out of the install area and stated they don't offer it in that area and left it at that.

There is practically zero updates/news on solar roof tiles. There are some regular folks here who have posted on their installs and it's nearly always well upwards of $100k+ I think. Since you have it in your sig, were you one of the lucky folks who had it done at a half decent price?

It's actually a great idea/product for strangely shaped roofs or if people really hate panels, but I'd agree with some of the other comments that woe be the owner who needs service if they decide that it's just not worth their focus/time/$$/investment anymore. Capital is not unlimited so they aren't prioritizing this segment I think.

Upvote 0
There is practically zero updates/news on solar roof tiles. There are some regular folks here who have posted on their installs and it's nearly always well upwards of $100k+ I think. Since you have it in your sig, were you one of the lucky folks who had it done at a half decent price?
Its was pricey, but not the level you describe. It was also still popular in my area of Nor Cal at the time (Dec 2020).

Upvote 0
Solar Roof has several advantages, depending on your situation. Smaller roofs can acheive higher generation capacity by utilizing a greater percentage of available surface area, for example. Price is not one of them, although the tax credit helps, and more of the cost can be applied to the credit qualified total. Performance can be an advantage in marginal circumstances. In my own case it was the product that allowed me to realize my goals, without cutting quite a number of trees.

Attachments

• 20220630_130335.jpg
    20220630_130335.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: sunwarriors
Upvote 0