Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slave Charger Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got around to having my HWPC installed. The car is charging happily at 40 Amps but is reading 40/80 Amps despite being set for 80 Amps. Dip switches are correct and I called Tesla Service. They could see a fault in the slave charger. I know this was somewhat common on early builds. Is this a multiday fix or a simple component swap?

It's a component swap. Takes about 90 minutes 30 of which are for programming the new charger. Basically they lift out the bottom cushion of the back seat, undo a few bolts, put in the new charger, program the new charger to be a slave, and then button things up again.

Good thing that it's only the slave charger that conked out so you are still able to charge, albeit slowly. I had my master charger conk out when the car was only 3 weeks old and it would not charge at all. But, as jerry33 said, it is a component swap and is as described although some bolts and screws are not well exposed and some digging around is involved. Being 180 miles from the nearest service center, the ranger came and did it in my garage. Try doing that with an ICE alternator!