Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping at Chargers: Do (or Would) You Feel Safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spend a lot of time on the road. Ski trips, road trips, camping/backpacking. On occasion I will sleep in my car while charging, usually at night, either briefly at a Supercharger or for an extended period at a level 2 charger.

I've never had bad experiences, but in the back of my mind I do worry about vandalism or a confrontational crime, especially in less nice areas. Obviously if I am sprawled out in the back I am not in a great position to defend myself or my vehicle. And even if I stay in front, it's not like I can drive away if a danger approaches, as I am plugged in to the charger.

I'm sure the risk of such thing a thing happening is low. But, a low number times a high frequency is a higher number, and Model S is a nice looking car, and I worry it carries an elevated risk of being targeted.

Does anybody else do this, or have similar thoughts? Any ideas for maximizing safety in these situations?
I would feel safe if I had my 1911 with me and if I am sleeping in my car I will have it with me.

Reactions: diesel
I spend a lot of time on the road. Ski trips, road trips, camping/backpacking. On occasion I will sleep in my car while charging, usually at night, either briefly at a Supercharger or for an extended period at a level 2 charger.

I've never had bad experiences, but in the back of my mind I do worry about vandalism or a confrontational crime, especially in less nice areas. Obviously if I am sprawled out in the back I am not in a great position to defend myself or my vehicle. And even if I stay in front, it's not like I can drive away if a danger approaches, as I am plugged in to the charger.

I'm sure the risk of such thing a thing happening is low. But, a low number times a high frequency is a higher number, and Model S is a nice looking car, and I worry it carries an elevated risk of being targeted.

Does anybody else do this, or have similar thoughts? Any ideas for maximizing safety in these situations?

If I look at it from a risk analysis point of view:
  1. Your largest risk is probably getting hurt while driving. Thousands of people get hurt in the US every day, and on average 100 car accidents per day are fatal. Bad drivers, drunk drivers, bad road conditions, collapsing bridges, etc.
  2. Yes you add a risk of getting mugged at the SC, I am not sure about how big that risk is, but I suspect fairly small - definitely less than driving.
  3. You do avoid the risk of getting mugged at the gas station. Again, not sure how to compare this but at least we know there is no guaranteed cash there as a target for robberies (unless of course the SC is next to a convenience store or even at a gas station, which I've seen once along i90).
So the next question is, assuming you cannot just stay home and not drive, what can you do? Here are some options:
  1. Get an ICE car, removes SC risk but adds gas station risk (and you probably wouldn't like it, but we're talking risk of getting hurt). You accident risk stays the same.
  2. Get a gun. Sounds good in theory, however first, if you travel across state lines, you need to make sure you are allowed to transport it to that state and have it there - no fun getting arrested in another state for having a gun. Second, if you don't know how to use it, it could actually be used against you. Third, leaving it in the open can both attract the thieves while parked and possibly get you in hot water if you get pulled over.
  3. Get a can of pepper spray - less dangerous than a gun but similar issues. Travelling across state lines still requires you to check, as you are not allowed to have it with you in some states.
  4. Equip the car with a really loud alarm that is activated by you pulling a remote around your neck and de-activated via some code you have to enter. If you're in the car and someone comes to rob you, an ear piercing sound is probably your best option (better than pulling a gun, since if you do that and they have guns too, the muggers may feel they have to shoot you or you will shoot them).
  5. Do nothing, enjoy your life and realize that there is risk involved in living a life and no matter what you have to accept some of the risks, and minimizing some of those risks is possible but just not worth the effort (for example, you could hire a team of highly trained, ex-detla-force, private military body guards to take with you on each trip - guaranteed to practically eliminate the risk of getting mugged at the SC while you are sleeping, but is it worth the cost? ;)).

Last edited:
The biggest issue I see is that you can't drive away without getting out of the car to disconnect the charging cable, so even if you identify a situation that is potentially unsafe, your avenue for escape is limited.

I've actually seen someone plugged into a supercharger drive off without unplugging, so don't let the fact that you are plugged in keep you from putting your personal safety first. If you are going to sleep, I'd recommend reclining in your drivers seat, rather than sleeping in the back seat. Keep the door locked. You'll have access to the horn and the door lock and window controls. And if you have to, you can just put the car in gear and drive off. In this F'd up world of ours, it's not a matter of "if" but "when" something like the OP mentions will happen. Put your self and your own personal property first. The rest can be figured out once you are safe.

STAY IN YOUR CAR if you are being harassed. Honk the horn and call 911. Drive off and yank the cable out of the supercharger if you have to. The worse thing you can do is to roll down your window or open the car door if someone is threatening you. Remember, they have to commit vandalism before battery or worse as long as you remain in your car.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
I've actually seen someone plugged into a supercharger drive off without unplugging, so don't let the fact that you are plugged in keep you from putting your personal safety first.

My RAV4EV could move while plugged in. My Tesla will not. Driving off while plugged in is not an option.

I feel the chance of being "mugged" at a SC is minimal, and even more so now that we have cell phones. Most thieves have no idea how to steal your car, whether you have an alarm, a gun, or whatever. The chance of them getting any goods from you is small. Most thieves would rather steal a Honda or Toyota, not a very visible, very different type of car that they don't know how to drive or refuel.

I agree that the best way is to just enjoy your trip. You can be mugged in a hotel room.

How is that? I suppose it is possible if you leave the connector in the port unlatched since if the car is plugged in and you step on the brake to start the car it beeps at you and says to unplug the car to put it in drive.

I think an earlier firmware did not disable the car from driving while charging...this guy just backed out of the SC space and the cable ripped out of the supercharger stall...dunno if it damage his car or not...but he got out, took the cable out and placed it on the ground, and drove off. Strange

i think we're just reading too much into this because the idea of superchargers is a new concept etc, but i think people have slept in their cars plenty of times without issue. Yes there's a risk, but its a minimal risk.

or someone can find a way to modify their car to tap into the battery current and electrify the car frame if they feel that unsafe lol.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj and bonnie
It won't let you drive at all if it is plugged in.

We need an "Emergency Eject" button -- but that would take a redesign of the port or cable.

literally the first thing my DS told me when i was taking delivery of the car "dont worry you can't drive off" and yet this basic fact seems lost on a lot of people. Go ahead and try pressing the brake next time ur car is plugged in, nothing happens. Whoa! haha

On another note, powernaps give you a nice boost of energy so if people are too scared to sleep you can always just powernap for a bit and when you're done charging move on to the next one.

Brings up a good point...

What about an option to unlock the charger while in the car so you could drive off without exiting the car. Yes, it might damage the cable end by falling on the ground, but at least you could get away if in a bad situation.

Probably not worth it because of the people who would use it (and damage the equipment) because they're too lazy to get out of the car or in too much of a hurry to take the extra 15 seconds. We're talking about something that might happen once a year over the entire nation, and that the chances of it's happening to you once in your life might be one in ten thousand. Ask yourself this: Would you be willing to pay an extra, say, $1,000 for the car to have a quick-eject charger cable?

I've tried to do it on a few occasions, but it never really works out.

At the Centralia,WA supercharger they stuck a bright light on the building right next to the supercharger. So that didn't work out so well.

At the Woodburn,OR supercharger it's right next to a Red Robin and there was all kinds of loud cleaning going on.

Even in cases where there isn't much going on like Springfield, OR I still found it rather uncomfortable. One of these days I'll try putting a blowup mattress in the back to see how that goes.

But, honestly I'm a pretty self-aware person that doesn't like sleeping when people might come around. Maybe if the windows could electronically dim all the way.

In terms of safety I think getting some shut-eye outweighs the risk of driving while tired. I also don't think it's worth the expense of a hotel when I only need a few hours of sleep.

Hopefully Tesla will add Cameras to the supercharger network for watching over the places. To have some documentation capability of what goes on. If they're obvious and there is signage then I think most criminals will go for easier targets.

In the end life has risks. What matters is the joy from what we do outweighs the risks. Like I just got back from riding my pedal assist bike next to cars where I was cruising along at 28-30mph. Was that necessary safe? Probably not, but it was fun. The speed limit was 25, and I'm not sure they really knew how to handle a bike exceeding the speed limit, but still going less than they want to go (30-35).

Reactions: henderrj
Even in cases where there isn't much going on like Springfield, OR I still found it rather uncomfortable. One of these days I'll try putting a blowup mattress in the back to see how that goes.

I use a blow-up twin mattress with a 12V car pump. The whole thing with sheets and all was $40. I may have lower standards than most (I am happy in a sleeping bag) but I find it very comfortable, and I sleep through the night easily. I'm planning to use this as a complete car camping setup with my dogs later this month as I hop around a few sites in the Adirondacks.

Attachments

• fr_2323_size880.jpg
    fr_2323_size880.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 99
  • fr_2332_size880.jpg
    fr_2332_size880.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 81