Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping at Chargers: Do (or Would) You Feel Safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on the supercharger. I've been to some that would be perfectly safe to sleep at. I've also been to a couple that are a bit scary at night.

Has anyone ever charged at the Defuniak Springs, FL supercharger past 10pm? It's fine during the day but you couldn't pay me enough to sleep there overnight while charging.

Ok, for those of you who are paranoid but can't afford your own private swat team, try this:
Remember the BMW “Blaster” – South Africa’s Flamethrowing Car
bmwflame.jpg

You can use it at the drag strip too, for effect. :cool:

Has anyone ever charged at the Defuniak Springs, FL supercharger past 10pm? It's fine during the day but you couldn't pay me enough to sleep there overnight while charging.
that is one of the more poorly located SpCs that I've visited. it is in a decrepit area that is not very active. I've charged there a few times during the day, walked around the area while doing long charges and while the place is creepy, many abandoned storefronts, I don't think that it is dangerous.

I guess it would depend on the location, but I sleep at Superchargers quite frequently. My biggest concern so far is that it might reflect negatively on charging time to passers by. But I often don't get a lot of time to sleep at night, so I make it up where I can, and will likely keep doing it.

This, of course, is speculation.
No speculation about it; it's absolutely the case.

Here in the US we have our Glock 22s and 23s, etc., to consider as adjunct to common sense when sleeping in our Teslas.

In Canada, that per-capita firearm is going to be a .30-30, a Weatherby .457, or something in between. Yah - that's a good'un for in-auto self-defense.....:confused:

Probably not worth it because of the people who would use it (and damage the equipment) because they're too lazy to get out of the car or in too much of a hurry to take the extra 15 seconds. We're talking about something that might happen once a year over the entire nation, and that the chances of it's happening to you once in your life might be one in ten thousand. Ask yourself this: Would you be willing to pay an extra, say, $1,000 for the car to have a quick-eject charger cable?
I already thought about this. Just charge $10 - $20 each time you do it, and waive the fee for every documented actually scary incident (maybe they can require a dashcam or rearcam or something to prove it to waive the fee). This would reduce the "convenience" ejects, and for those willing to pay the $10 or so to "convenience" eject, that can help pay for the damage. Adjust the fee for ejecting to cover the costs of repairs to the cables.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
Just my two cents: I am not sure about the rest of the country, but selected locations here in the West likely have some issues with methheads or other low lifes looking for some money or valuables to score a fix. Supercharger locations where I would be loath to sleep during the wee hours would include Kingman, Needles, Inyokern, West Wendover, and Quarzsite come to mind. I do not recall if the fast food restaurants (Carl's Jr at Kingman and Quartzsite and DQ at Needles) are open and busy at 2AM. The Chevron station at West Wendover is not in the line of sight, and Inyokern is behind a building in a dusty part of town.

I don't think that our lives are in danger, but I think junkies and other unsavory types might see some benefit in assault and armed robbery.

It seems much more likely that a situation will feel sketchy than be actually dangerous. Ultimately I think the best advice is this: trust your instincts.
perception is reality, if a place looks dodgy it probably is dodgy. that said just because a place is desolate or appears to be run down doesn't automatically mean that there is trouble brewing when you stop for your charge but caution is always a good thing regardless of the place you choose to snooze.

I already thought about this. Just charge $10 - $20 each time you do it, and waive the fee for every documented actually scary incident (maybe they can require a dashcam or rearcam or something to prove it to waive the fee). This would reduce the "convenience" ejects, and for those willing to pay the $10 or so to "convenience" eject, that can help pay for the damage. Adjust the fee for ejecting to cover the costs of repairs to the cables.
I think the easiest way to ensure safety is that if you feel a location is unsafe at night, don't go to sleep there. If you absolutely have to charge and you feel it is unsafe, then plug in & get out of the car, and sit a distance from it where you won't be observed but you can watch your car. (I've done this in the past when a car broke down on a remote road - no idea who was going to stop to help me, but I wanted to be able to assess the situation first.) Anyone looking to jack you will approach the car and not notice you sitting in the dark.

Either charge and get to a safe place to sleep in the car (if you must) or get a hotel.

Realistically, how often is anyone here driving through the night?