Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping on Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rant:
This just happened: I was on the road about 10 hours and felt a bit drowsy for a short while but had snacks and tunes and as far as I know did not nod off but AP1 was engaged so I suppose I might not have known if I did (scary thought). Shortly after my own drowsy spell ended a non-Tesla car in front of the car in front of me moved almost completely into the opposite lane. Fortunately the three cars already in that lane were able to slow and move over and their defensive actions prevented a crash. The wayward car quickly moved back into our lane and all cars continued on. Very close call for whatever reason but had that car had AP the other drivers would not have had to fear for their lives.
More rant. Early in this long trip there were (only) two badly behaved drivers, one in a BMW and one in a souped up VW. They were not working with the light and fast traffic and placed me an other vehicles in awkward positions by varying speed and not making way. After trying to be patient I was able to move away from them in the way only a Tesla can. That part was fun.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Worth a "watch". Bottom line: Keep your mouth shut if you are stopped. Traffic stop, walking down the street, passenger in a car, keep your mouth shut. Never say more than you need to. Listen to the cop admit he doesn't know about AP. Remember, he has no way to prove or confirm the driver was asleep. I am neither for or against the driver in his video.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
Worth a "watch". Bottom line: Keep your mouth shut if you are stopped. Traffic stop, walking down the street, passenger in a car, keep your mouth shut. Never say more than you need to. Listen to the cop admit he doesn't know about AP. Remember, he has no way to prove or confirm the driver was asleep. I am neither for or against the driver in his video.
Nice video. Brings up some interesting considerations about AutoPilot as well. The officer claims he followed the Tesla for '2 miles' with lights and siren, and the driver did not respond, 'so was sleeping'. But no evidence that AutoPilot aborted driving. It would be great to get a follow up with that driver after he has settled the ticket charges to see if more detail could be given.

Also, I was not aware of 'Driver Condition Reports'. It sounds like there will be new legal ground tread in regards to Tesla's on AP in the future, as we see how they handle sleeping at the wheel, be it good or bad.