Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sliding down menu bar makes me dizzy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even then, scrolling on a tablet with that would seem annoying...
Question for @tonglaji @scaesare @LST can you all please specify with more detail the devices you are using, the different browsers you see this behavior on (please test various browsers) and whether or not this happens only while using the trackpad to scroll versus using a mouse and/or clicking on the scroll bar.

My hunch is that this is a combination of certain trackpads registering a tiny upward motion by mistake, and a very sensitive upward trigger.

We have tested it on many devices on our end and have yet to replicate.

I suspect you are right.

I find it most prevalent on my SurfacePro 3 tablet running Win10/Edge. The issue seems to be the slight imprecising caused by putting my minger on the glass (rather than a trackpad), that triggers the drop.

I have a Dell Lattitide running the same software quite, and it also has a touch screen. If I use the mouse scroll wheel, no problem. If you instead use the touch screen, it tends to trigger.

I think in is indeed the small movements that touch-devices may generate.

Does this happen every time an ad loads for you? Or sometimes? If sometimes, do you mind please taking a screenshot of the ad so I can determine if perhaps the networks serving it is causing the issue.

Thanks.
Hi Danny,
It doesn't happen on desktop browser any more, it seems (Firefox on Mac OS). I took screenshots on mobile and will upload those later. Top ad was a "quarter inch" strip for Walgreens which did lurch the display as the ad loaded after the page content. Page was still incompletely loaded, and I scrolled down to see a not-loaded placekeeper for a taller ad. When the page load % reached 100% the bottom ad still hadn't filled in.
LOL the pictures will surely make more sense than I do.

Still less annoying than the "lurch" of the ad loading late which pushes the whole page down often causing errant clicks.
Yes, I found the lurching very annoying, but I also found a simple solution: make a contribution as a supporter, then presto, no ads!

(I say simple, but just now I've looked to see how to do this, and I can't find it.)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Back from eating too much turkey ;) I don't know if any fixes are in place, but on my both my Macs (trackpad and mouse), the problem is still here.

After more observation, I believe this might be triggered by an "endOfScrolling" event from safari. I did not look which js framework this forum is using, but maybe it is related to how that event is generated?

Last edited:
Just another opinion...

Any bouncing of the page while scrolling sucks. It's bad UI and it's bad for performance (read: responsiveness and battery life) for the page. Please give us a way to make this stop.

Just another opinion...

Any bouncing of the page while scrolling sucks. It's bad UI and it's bad for performance (read: responsiveness and battery life) for the page. Please give us a way to make this stop.
I am not sure what exactly you are referring to by 'bouncing'. If you are talking about the bugs that we have been discussing in this thread, then sure that is objectively bad, however the behavior of a navbar (or portion thereof) appearing on scroll up is a pretty commonly used behavior in UI/UX design (particularly in mobile) and it's rather subjective whether people like that or not.

the behavior of a navbar (or portion thereof) appearing on scroll up is a pretty commonly used behavior in UI/UX design (particularly in mobile) and it's rather subjective whether people like that or not.
Commonly used doesn't imply 'good' design. On the web, popular patterns are unfortunately often the worst choice for both usability and performance. Web design profession doesn't have any quality bar or certification.

If you like this behavior it's your site, do what you like. As a user i hate it and would like a way to avoid it.

An additional note on the hiding bar. As moderators, we must scroll all the way back to the top to access reports. The previous functionality was that the reports would be visible anywhere in the vertical navigation of the page. It's a bit cumbersome and my personal preference would be to float the moderation bar at the top of the display, no matter where you are in the page.