Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow air leak in the tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car back from service center after they fixed some paint issues noticed during the delivery. Next day, TPS warning came on right rear tire. The reading was 37 psi and it went up to 40 on the way to work. I thought it could be due to the cold weather in the north east. When I checked yesterday, the reading was 35 psi. Upon close examination of the tire, I noticed a stapler or nail stuck in the tire. Not sure if this happened at the service center/body shop or while I driving. Do I need to take this to SC to get it patched or a tire service shop can take care of it (more worried about if they have the right jack pads to lift the car).

Attachments

• tesla tire.jpg
    tesla tire.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 162
I got my car back from service center after they fixed some paint issues noticed during the delivery. Next day, TPS warning came on right rear tire. The reading was 37 psi and it went up to 40 on the way to work. I thought it could be due to the cold weather in the north east. When I checked yesterday, the reading was 35 psi. Upon close examination of the tire, I noticed a stapler or nail stuck in the tire. Not sure if this happened at the service center/body shop or while I driving. Do I need to take this to SC to get it patched or a tire service shop can take care of it (more worried about if they have the right jack pads to lift the car).
Take it to a tire shop. They can fix it. Americas Tire knows the lift points.

Reactions: jaguar36

Agree with others. That should be easily fixable. And yes, I never trust places that say they know how to jack the car or put it on a lift. I ask in advance if I can watch them jack it up. Lucky I did because one shop was going to jack in the wrong place when they put new tires on the car a few months ago.

Tire shops around here would all call that “in the sidewall” and refuse to patch it. I patched the hole from a screw in a very similar location with a plug about 7,500 miles ago. Still holding strong. Before patching, I’d have to air up the tire every other day to keep the TPMS happy.

I imagine many tire shops in areas where Teslas are popular have the jack pad adapters available. You can call and ask. I recently rotated my tires at Discount Tires (called America's Tires in some areas). They offered to use floor jacks instead of the lift and had their own set of jack pad adapters.

Same problem here (Las Cruces, New Mexico). Slow leak; took it to Martin Tire; had my own set of jack pads to place in holes at lift points as needed. This was the first Tesla the shop worked on, so I instructed on what to do. Found that I had run over some type of blade as there was a longish gash close to the sidewall. Tire unrepairable; have to wait for a new Michelin MXM Primacy to arrive. Luckily the tech did not remove the blade, so i was able to ride home where I have a compressor. I keep the tire inflated to about 30psi until I can return to the shop, the it'll be pumped to 45 for the 15 minute ride.