Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for M3SR ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading thru many posts in this forum, I learned good things about tires for Tesla cars:
1) tires from Tesla are expensive, no warranty at all
2) tires (45k to 50k miles) from other tire service center are much cheaper, warranty provided if pay for

I also notice that M3 can take 18 inches or 19 inches tires as I searched Discount Tires
Is there any advantage or disadvantage using 19 inches tires instead of 18 ?

Attachments

• 2023_10_19_06.16.33.jpg
    2023_10_19_06.16.33.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: DrChaos
Reading thru many posts in this forum, I learned good things about tires for Tesla cars:
1) tires from Tesla are expensive, no warranty at all
2) tires (45k to 50k miles) from other tire service center are much cheaper, warranty provided if pay for

I also notice that M3 can take 18 inches or 19 inches tires as I searched Discount Tires
Is there any advantage or disadvantage using 19 inches tires instead of 18 ?
If you already own one, just replace the tires that fit the rims you have now. My guess is that you are contemplating buying an M3SR and are asking about which rims to order with the car. I chose the 18” rims because the 19” rims cost an extra $1000 and the range decreased a little. If you don’t like the look of the 18” aero wheels, then spend the extra grand. I buy my tires online and have them shipped to my repair shop. They will install the new tires, balance them, and do a road force alignment.

Reactions: DrChaos
I already bought a new M3SR 3 weeks ago. I bring up this subject to learn what to do when my car need new tires. Now I know: avoid buying new tires from Tesla.
That's definitely the case, they really don't want to deal with tires and alignment which others can do better and cheaper.

To answer your other question: for most uses the Hankook iON evo AS seems to be the best non-performance replacement tire now. Superb efficiency, quieter and 50k warranty.

Wheels larger than 18 have some drawbacks. They’re likely to ride rougher and get bent in potholes. Weight has to be considered too since increasing unsprung weight isn’t good. For a street car I wouldn’t want the larger wheels. Recently we drove a M3 performance version on a 2000 mile road trip. The car was fun to drive with the fresh Pilot Sport summer tires. But, they were harsh and noisy.
The subject of tires and wheels is endlessly debated and in the end it boils down to what your preferences are no matter what anyone else thinks!