Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow discoveries, or How to silence the entry chimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old habits die hard...

For safety reasons, it has been habitual for me to mash the brake pedal before doing anything else behind the wheel.

In model 3, this turns the car on, flips to the driver setting from easy entry if you have that set, lights up the christmas tree widget icons along the top of the left side panel, and sounds a series of mystery chimes (because all the lights are flashing, who knows what the heck that sound is for?). This is not THAT different from how most cars start up, so I didn’t think much of it.

For some reason today, I elected not to buckle my seat belt when driving from my mailbox to my front door and discovered that the chimes are simply a seat belt warning (they sounded a second time with only the seatbelt icon on).

So, I thought, let’s try something novel and I buckled my seat belt BEFORE stepping on the brake pedal, and I got beautiful silence. No need to nag about a task you’ve already completed.

Which now has me wondering if that would have worked in my old car...

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Bummed -- I thought you might have found a way to control the volume or timeout, or to entirely silence the chimes. (I find the seatbelt and door open chimes over-loud and annoying, e.g. when dropping off a passenger.)

Easy Entry + buckling up before touching the bake pedal = seat belt squeeeeeze :confused:

Have to keep some slack on the belt even after it’s buckled until after the seat has stopped moving, then let it tighten.

Or just listen to a chime or two and wait till things have stopped moving around before buckling up :)

Yuup, every time I get in the car I think "dammit, why did I hit the brake before buckling my seatbelt?"

I'm not sure I'll ever learn, though. I think other cars give you a brief period to fasted your belt, or don't start complaining until the car is moving. Don't quote me on that, though. This just seems far more intrusive and annoying than I'm used to.

Easy Entry + buckling up before touching the bake pedal = seat belt squeeeeeze :confused:

Have to keep some slack on the belt even after it’s buckled until after the seat has stopped moving, then let it tighten.

Or just listen to a chime or two and wait till things have stopped moving around before buckling up :)
Depends on how one uses Easy Entry. I have it move the seat forward (and steering wheel forward and up, from all the way back) because I sit behind the B pillar and find it awkward to get out. So, yes, I usually buckle up before stepping on the brake pedal (and release the belt before hitting park). Perhaps I'm a minority of one...