Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Supercharging & Incomplete Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, Tesla's marketing claims are best case scenario, which is similar to most other companies, but I wish Tesla would be a little more conservative in their claims. I basically never get rated range on my Tesla, and charge times are indeed lengthier than marketing would suggest.

Sadly, Tesla's marketing claims are best case scenario, which is similar to most other companies, but I wish Tesla would be a little more conservative in their claims. I basically never get rated range on my Tesla, and charge times are indeed lengthier than marketing would suggest.
Tesla doesn’t decide the rated range, it’s the result of the EPA test cycle. It’s a matter of YMMV, just as with ICE cars. Drive the EPA test cycle and by definition you would get the rated range in your car.

Tesloop charges to 100% on a daily basis. Many people do. While it does cause a little degradation it's completely irrelevant to the issue he has. His charge time is almost twice of what it should be and the car should charge to 100% every time you need to or want to.
Tesloop charges to 100% then immediately uses the charge. The "dont charge to 100" is the normal overnight owners, whose cars will sit and drain slowly for a few hours before driven.

I don't know if I'm going to need hip waders for this thread, but here's an answer to the OP's repeated question, "How can I take long trips with a car that takes 2 hours to charge to 100%?!"

Short answer:

Travel more. Your battery is fine enough as is.

Better answer:

I average MAYBE 10% slower travel than in an ICE but that takes into account that I rarely speed anymore. I define speeding as in excess of 10mph over the posted limit, so your mileage may vary.

More for the OP: A good rule of thumb for a day of travel is to maintain at or in excess of 50mph gross time. So. If you want to travel 750 miles per day, as a friend of mine and I did recently from Vermont to California, in order to get there in 4 days (we opted to overnight in Vegas but could have easily gotten to LA that day if we wanted), then figure 15 hours of *travel* per day.

Note I did not say 15 hours of *driving*. Travel being defined as time between leaving the hotel and checking into the next one - including charging stops and meals and such.

Here's how that works - you rarely, and I mean rarely, in an S85 or larger capacity car, need to charge to 100%. After awhile, you'll be fine arriving at the next SC with 2%, 3% or 5%, but as a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to arrive with 15%-20%, let's say. MOST of your legs to the next SC can be accomplished by charging to 80% or less. There are exceptions, but there are fewer every year as more SCs are added. If you're traveling unfamiliar ground, then charge until you have a buffer of 20% to the next SC. If there's wind and/or elevation, then consider 30% but this is rarely necessary.

EV Trip Planner and the available .csv files for trips therein, along with the usual other tools will go a long way toward reducing range anxiety.

Whatever you do, do NOT charge to 100% at every SC when you don't need it. People like me will leave "Don't be an ICEhole" cards on your car and glower ominously in your general direction. Or point and laugh - it depends upon the day :).

I don't know if I'm going to need hip waders for this thread, but here's an answer to the OP's repeated question, "How can I take long trips with a car that takes 2 hours to charge to 100%?!"

Short answer:

Travel more. Your battery is fine enough as is.

Better answer:

I average MAYBE 10% slower travel than in an ICE but that takes into account that I rarely speed anymore. I define speeding as in excess of 10mph over the posted limit, so your mileage may vary.

More for the OP: A good rule of thumb for a day of travel is to maintain at or in excess of 50mph gross time. So. If you want to travel 750 miles per day, as a friend of mine and I did recently from Vermont to California, in order to get there in 4 days (we opted to overnight in Vegas but could have easily gotten to LA that day if we wanted), then figure 15 hours of *travel* per day.

Note I did not say 15 hours of *driving*. Travel being defined as time between leaving the hotel and checking into the next one - including charging stops and meals and such.

Here's how that works - you rarely, and I mean rarely, in an S85 or larger capacity car, need to charge to 100%. After awhile, you'll be fine arriving at the next SC with 2%, 3% or 5%, but as a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to arrive with 15%-20%, let's say. MOST of your legs to the next SC can be accomplished by charging to 80% or less. There are exceptions, but there are fewer every year as more SCs are added. If you're traveling unfamiliar ground, then charge until you have a buffer of 20% to the next SC. If there's wind and/or elevation, then consider 30% but this is rarely necessary.

EV Trip Planner and the available .csv files for trips therein, along with the usual other tools will go a long way toward reducing range anxiety.

Whatever you do, do NOT charge to 100% at every SC when you don't need it. People like me will leave "Don't be an ICEhole" cards on your car and glower ominously in your general direction. Or point and laugh - it depends upon the day :).

I don't use 100% at every supercharger, 80% is good to get between SC.
Problem is on the last leg of my trip into Texas or New Mexico I need a 100% charge to make it back out. There are no SC at my destinations (even though they have been planned for over a year) and most of the older houses there don't have grounding. Without a decent ground, Tesla's cant charge.

To Make things worse, Charging to 80% has slowed down. So now every stop is 15-20 longer and the last stop is twice as long. The first year I had this car i made the trip to Clovis NM, and it was easy when the charging worked as it was supposed to. Now, the trip is completely inconvenient in the Tesla. More SC charger stops & longer stops. If the charging works as it did the first year of ownership, even with battery range decreasing, taking a trip would not be a problem. But today on any trip over 100 miles, I take my truck.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Please explain to me why you continually want to charge to 100%, that alone does more damage to your battery than anything else. Sounds like a self inflicted wound. I suggest you read your owner's manual and hire a better attorney.

There are many reasons why you would need a 100% charge. I was not charing to 100% at every single supercharger stop. Only when the drive warranted it or performing a test for Tesla.

For example, if my next stop was 100 miles from the nearest Supercharger stop and there was no charging available at my stop. I would need a full charge to make it there and back. I normally get 200-210 mile range with regular driving. So when i went into a town like Clovis, NM that has no EV charging of any kind, I needed a full charge to get there an back.

Recently we contemplated a trip to Lubbock, TX in the Tesla. The nearest SC stop was 130 miles away in Amarillo and the only chargers available were 20-30 amp chargers at Nissan Dealers that are not Tesla friendly. I would have to drive 55 mph on the last leg after a minimum 2 hr stop just to make it there and back. No thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones