Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small scratch on the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked some in search but most threads were about big scratches.

I happen to scratch about 1 inch in length but width is very small like .3 inch maybe. Only the coating is off.

Should I get repaired at Tesla Service or can I get the paint done at other shop I visit? They are good at what they do, and will probably charge me like $50.

Do I void the warranty if I get the paint done other than Tesla shop?

I have a feeling that Tesla may charge this minor nick like this, $500~$5000 for the paint work.

I would appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
There are very few authorized shops that Tesla has certified to work on Teslas - a total of one in Colorado for body repair and one other for paintless dent removal. Obviously, a lot more in CA.
I would call the nearest Tesla SC and ask which shop they use. Then go directly to that shop for an estimate.

$50 might get you a brush touch of a close colormatch. But for any shop to guarantee the clear coat will not peel and get a good colormatch; they will have to sand down the chipped area; possibly put a small skim coat of filler in that chipped area; then spot refinish the color at the site of the damage then fade that color out away from the site of damage. Then scuff up the hatch and re-apply the entire clearcoat to keep it from peeling. (And possibly remove some exterior trim items)
-
A few hundred dollars is a bit more reasonable for an invisible repair.
-
Any reputable bodyshop that guarantees their work in writing can handle the job. They shouldn't be getting down to the sheetmetal.

Reactions: jaguar36
$50 might get you a brush touch of a close colormatch. But for any shop to guarantee the clear coat will not peel and get a good colormatch; they will have to sand down the chipped area; possibly put a small skim coat of filler in that chipped area; then spot refinish the color at the site of the damage then fade that color out away from the site of damage. Then scuff up the hatch and re-apply the entire clearcoat to keep it from peeling. (And possibly remove some exterior trim items)
-
A few hundred dollars is a bit more reasonable for an invisible repair.
-
Any reputable bodyshop that guarantees their work in writing can handle the job. They shouldn't be getting down to the sheetmetal.

I am okay with a few hundred dollar like $200 or less is reasonable. Recently after seeing how Tesla body repairs charge ridiculous amount in recent threads and searches, I was in panic that as little as this paint peel cost could surmount to thousands of dollars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic