Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EV (or ED)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
62MPH top speed is disappointing.
With carpool stickers, going under the speed limit in the carpool lane will not make many friends.

If they did 70MPH top speed, it would be more workable as a daily commuter that includes short freeway trips.

Agreed. Unfortunately, that top speed is more Clarkson-fodder. I know this car isn't targeted at Clarkson's audience and there aren't too many places in Greater London (at least) where you can get above 62mph legally, but it will also not help with those sitting on the EV fence.

:biggrin:

PistonHeads Headlines - Smart ForTwo High Voltage

Even Brabus can't ignore the 'green' issue, however. Revealed alongside the Mighty E V12 was the Brabus High Voltage, a Smart ForTwo with Tesla-developed 83hp electric motor. It's only got a range of 60 miles, but it does have 206lb ft available from zero rpm, and will do 0-62mph in 3.7sec. Enough for a 'quick' trip to the shops, we should think.

Oh! That freaking rocks!

I want that Smart!!! I wonder if it will be sold in the U.S.?

I wonder how it compares with the Smart Tesla has been tooling around with at their store. I always thought Tesla should sell their version of the Smart in parallel with Daimler, but if Brabus wants to do it, that is still awesome!

Here is what I heard.

This is a car is twice the cost of an ICE Smart and since they have shunned using Tesla's PEM electronics, will go 30 percent less far per charge than it could.

And it only goes 60 MPH.

Last edited:

A four-year lease will cost $599 a month and the cars would have a projected range of 82 miles. Their maximum speed would be limited to 62.5 miles per hour.

We've been complaining for almost a year now about how Daimler has chosen to limit the performance of this EV. Now with the cost of this lease it's as if they want it to fail.

Siry had a few words about the Smart EV on his blog: Daimler's underwhelming Smart EV - Darryl Siry's Blog

I still think they are wasting their time with the Smart. It's not a particularly efficient platform and there is little room for batteries. This is purely a marketing angle and will probably backfire on them since the vehicle is so crippled.

At $599/month, I don't know how they can possibility compete with the Leaf. Kind of shows how powerful volume can be. Without an all out commitment and volumes in the tens of thousands, it is going to be impossible top Nissan in the EV market.

Yep, sounds like it. Like back around year 2000 when every big manufacturer made a few hundred EVs to satisfy the minimum CA "requirement". Doing them as temporary lease only or with battery tech that has a very limited lifespan doesn't seem in keeping with the overall goal to get mass quantities of commuters to stop using gasoline.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/24/2011-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-first-drive/

smartev---01opt.jpg

I was searching for EVSEs and found ... this

(Edit: I tried the tags ... did not work.)

(Edit 2: I downloaded, then used the ManageAttachments with Upload to display at least the thumbnail.)

Attachments

• SmartEV_BlinkEVSE.png
    SmartEV_BlinkEVSE.png
    878.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: