Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EV (or ED)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smart ED 55kW, 17.6kWh battery, 22kW 3-phase onboard charger

The 55kW powered Smart ED can be ordered now. Price start with less then €19.000 plus monthly fee of €70 for battery lease or less then €24.000 including the battery pack.
With a 22kW 3-phase onboard-charger, the 17.6kWh battery can be charged within 1 hour.

The 55kW powered Smart ED can be ordered now. Price start with less then €19.000 plus monthly fee of €70 for battery lease or less then €24.000 including the battery pack.
With a 22kW 3-phase onboard-charger, the 17.6kWh battery can be charged within 1 hour.

I think this is the first vehicle for sale with a 3 phase charger. I'm supprised they didn't limit it to 16A (11kW). 22 kW is quite a generous spec for an affordable €24.000 EV.

Retrofitting Model S sedans with this charger could be a good business!

GSP

Smart (as in Daimler) Electric

Well, it turns the Model S probably isn't going to work for us as the primary "family" car or whatever you want to call it, but I do still have an itch to experience life with an EV, which I'm quite convinced is the future of cars. So now I'm thinking of getting a small commuter EV for my own use during the week. This is probably a smarter way for me to get a taste of EV ownership without too many compromises.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Smart Electric? It seems to have a low CG, no tranny, more than enough range for my needs. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has on this car.

Thanks!

Can you expand on this? Price? Range? Why?

Oh, I mentioned this in another thread. I didn't mean to bring that up again, just providing context for why I'm looking at a Smart and not a Tesla. (short answer is I'm ordering more of a complete/refined luxury/performance sedan as the main family hauler, and then something small/cheap just for myself as a daily commuter)

But anyway, that's not the point, I know there are a lot of knowledgable EV fans here, so I ask about the Smart here.

From Jun 12th 202 on, the electric Smart ED can be ordered. Prices start at EUR 18,910 plus battery lease of EUR 65 a month. The complete package is sold at EUR 23,680. A convertible version is available for an additional EUR 3,090.

An ICE version of comparable power (52kW) and the same interior package ("Passion line") comes at EUR 13,350. Heise titled their article "electric version comes at nearly double the price." :confused:

Some specs of the electric version are mentioned: 17,6kWh battery pack from BOSCH/Evonik, 4.8 s for 0-35 mph, top speed 77 mph.

A test drive report by Heise Auto will follow in a few days.

Source (in German): Spätzünder: Der Smart ed läuft vom Band | heise Autos

e0625379cbe5f18f.jpe

EVs Just Got Cheap: Smart ForTwo Electric Drive Priced At $25,000 Pre-Rebate For US

For the United States, the Smart ForTwo Electric Drive coupe starts at $25,000, with the Cabriolet at $28,000. Much cheaper than any other highway capable EV sold in the US today.
The only question now is: If this is the price a premium automaker like Daimler can offer an EV with almost 18 kWh of energy on board for, why are we still paying so much for the likes of the Nissan LEAF ($35,200 – 24 kWh), Ford Focus Electric ($39,200 23 kWh) and Chevrolet Volt ($39,195 – 16.5 kWh)

That is cheap - but Fontana Nissan in California is offering $7k off MSRP on purchases now - that puts the SV at ~$28k pre-rebates - same price as the Cabriolet and not much more than the coupe.

Not to mention you get a usable sized car with the LEAF.

That is good news about low cost EVs. With a $7,500 federal, and a $5,000 state rebate I may just buy one in a year or two when they come out. 50% off isn't shabby.