Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Smart' Home Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see that happening (been wrong before though :) ). I have Wall Charger outside my house and a Commando socket right next to it - I (and other folk too presumably ...) would just use the Commando. And my juice comes off my PV ... so taxing my use of it would become a a Political Eco-own-goal i reckon.

That's my take too. Plus I think it is important - otherwise there will be huge spike on Grid when e.g. "Economy-7 starts"

And that I agree with too. Those that use the roads pay. Those that use the roads at periods of congestion pay more. How about if HGV pay nothing/very-little if they travel in the middle of the night? Opportunity to reduce congestion at the same time as replacing Fuel Duty with a Road Use Tax

I would like high emission vehicles to pay more ... I suppose if you have a "Rate per mile" then you can just up-lift that based on the car-type. (But we could wind up making old, dirty, diesel having to pay more, just at the time they are being passed down to the least well off, which would be a lousy outcome)

How we charge for this is a bit tricky. Could make it part of MOT "You've drive 10,000 miles this year, here's the bill" ... and people could elect to pay "£X a month" by way of offset.

Charging according to Car GPS would be better, but that is useless until cars on the road have that ability.

Cameras on the roads would work, but only for those roads where they exist - maybe that is already all the main aerial routes and thus very few new ones would be needed?

Agree with all your points.
high emissions are taken care of in the price of the fuel - emit more then use more, therefore spend more at the pump or charge point,

The infrastructure for effective road use/time pricing may already be largely in place. You don't need detectors/cameras everywhere. However, I also heard about something in the car windscreen that could be tracked but cannot remember the details. I think ANPR has moved on a lot since then, and will continue to and that may be the solution and that the discussion has probably moved on from windscreen tags.

Last edited:
I was part of a recent trial (Electric Nation) of Smart chargers and, as others have mentioned, it is all about balancing local power demand rather than the cost of electricity. Having a non-smart charger is not going to protect you from any future tax! It's like people refusing to fit domestic smart meters with the same mentality. If the government ever did introduce a tax based on some form of smart metering you would be forced to have one installed anyway or pay some ridiculously high flat rate to encourage you.

Can't see anything like this happening anytime soon, until a point where electric cars are the majority of cars on the road and then it likely won't be taxed at the point of using electric at home. They could aim at public charging points to make it more expensive to start with.

I was part of a recent trial (Electric Nation) of Smart chargers and, as others have mentioned, it is all about balancing local power demand rather than the cost of electricity. Having a non-smart charger is not going to protect you from any future tax! It's like people refusing to fit domestic smart meters with the same mentality. If the government ever did introduce a tax based on some form of smart metering you would be forced to have one installed anyway or pay some ridiculously high flat rate to encourage you.

This is exactly what I've been trying to get it, it really has nothing to do with smart charging points as they exist right now.

I was part of a recent trial (Electric Nation) of Smart chargers and, as others have mentioned, it is all about balancing local power demand rather than the cost of electricity. .

Were you one of the participants that we temporarily manipulated the charger capabilities to gauge response? I wasn't involved, just what I heard might have been on the cards.

My Smart charger actually does rely on my own WiFi to send data to the DNO. There is no SIM in the charger.

If that wall connector was supplied as part of the trial, internally it probably was not a standard charger. Certainly the case with another trial I am a little more familiar with, unless this is the one where you were supplied an EV to drive too, in which case, it is the same trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: goRt
Were you one of the participants that we temporarily manipulated the charger capabilities to gauge response? I wasn't involved, just what I heard might have been on the cards.

Yes, that's right. The charger output was controlled to simulate peak demand periods etc, capping the power output at various levels from 3 kW up to the maximum 8 kW. There were some technical issues, so it didn't work perfectly, but I could see the idea. Now the trial is over, it is fixed permanently at maximum power output.

I've asked a DNO directly for its technical response - it may take a while to filter down for an answer.

My smart wall charger has a bridge link from the garage to my home wifi network and from there it just uploads data via their web portal. No SIM involved. Our home smart meter does use a SIM though for meter reads.

Edit: The way they get around people simply switching off the Wifi is by the charger then defaulting to 3 kW maximum output.

My smart wall charger has a bridge link from the garage to my home wifi network and from there it just uploads data via their web portal. No SIM involved. Our home smart meter does use a SIM though for meter reads.

Yours is a trial unit.
You're talking about usage stats for yourself.
The question posed relates to DNO throttling - I've asked at the top of a DNO for a definitive answer.

Edit: The way they get around people simply switching off the Wifi is by the charger then defaulting to 3 kW maximum output.

When I actually have a car to charge, I'm going to have a play, see if this happens with mine. That is unless someone knows for sure that the WiFi connected Pod Points have a backup SIM, in which case I won't bother.

Agree with all your points.
high emissions are taken care of in the price of the fuel - emit more then use more, therefore spend more at the pump or charge point,

Good point - "high emission" isn't an EV issue (that I can think off ...)

My Smart charger actually does rely on my own WiFi to send data to the DNO.

My OLEV charger has a SIM ... but given that DNO Energy Supplier install of Smart Meter was aborted when he arrived and said the signal was lousy ... and folk here wander out onto a particular place on the lawn if they want to use a mobile phone ... so not convinced that OLEV is getting any data at all, nor that SIM-control is a runner here

Of course mobile phone voice calls work fine if you hook it up to WiFi :D

Last edited:
Good point - "high emission" isn't an EV issue (that I can think off ...)

My OLEV charger has a SIM ... but given that DNO install of Smart Meter was aborted when he arrived and said the signal was lousy ... and folk here wander out onto a particular place on the lawn if they want to use a mobile phone ... so not convinced that OLEV is getting any data at all, nor that SIM-control is a runner here

Of course mobile phone voice calls work fine if you hook it up to WiFi :D

The DNO doesn't do smart meter installs - they wanted to but government went a different route using the energy suppliers.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks for all the responses.
There's a huge amount of EV knowledge on the forum, I feel like a real beginner!!
But the general consensus appears to be in line with what I was hoping, that it's best to just choose the wall charger that best suits your current needs.
Additional tax / cost at the point of home charging is unlikely to be a consideration unless there is a fundamental change in the infrastructure.
I agree the fairest and best way would be to base any incremental charges on per mile charging ideally based on time of day / road type.

Reactions: Baldrick