Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning - energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't realize how nice smart preconditioning was until it was turned off to save energy while parked during a recent trip. I forgot to turn in on afterwards and wow there is a noticeable difference getting into a preconditioned car. Anyway, I just turned it back on - yay! - and got to wondering about those extra kwh being used.

Has anyone tracked the extra energy usage for preconditioning? It obviously uses more energy, but is it a lot more?

Will obviously depend on the climate you are in, but here in AZ, looking at Teslafi.com one example I have is a loss of 4.43 miles / 1.2kWh. The odd thing is that the car seems to precondition for a loooong time. This particular instance shows it started at 12:21AM and ended at 7:57AM.

1.2 kWh doesn't seem too awfully bad considering you live in Phoenix. I'm in Roseville near Sacramento where it is hot in the summer, but nothing like Phoenix. Even here I would be happy with 1.2 kWh.

Perhaps the long precondition time saves energy by 'gently' cooling rather than using that big loud burst that we all hear - and love so much- when the ac first starts on really hot days.

Preconditioning tries to predict your usage and have the car ready (full climate control active) for you during predictable scenarios. I haven't heard of anyone actually using it. Especially on a trip it would be clueless.

Cabin Overheat Protection is the one that keeps your interior temperature below 105F within 12 hours after using the car. I do use that, and have seen it working using TeslaFi. Haven't tried parking outside without it, but the white interior stays pretty darn cool as well.

Preconditioning tries to predict your usage and have the car ready (full climate control active) for you during predictable scenarios. I haven't heard of anyone actually using it. Especially on a trip it would be clueless.

I use it. It is not perfect, but it does decent job. I realized how decent after it was turned off. It learns the times that you are most likley to enter the vehicle and cools or heats the cabin ahead of time. Its surprising how accurate it is actually.

I use it. It is not perfect, but it does decent job. I realized how decent after it was turned off. It learns the times that you are most likley to enter the vehicle and cools or heats the cabin ahead of time. Its surprising how accurate it is actually.
I don't use it. I park outside but have the pano and windows cracked a bit, which appears to work fine without the extra energy use. If I parked outside in Arizona or some similar place, I'd likely use it.