Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And from this select group, we need to be sure to explicitly exclude people who do not know to ignore the example use case and stated capabilities on the Tesla website, shown when purchasing the vehicle:

View attachment 692303

I agree that when we narrow the field to people who have that level of knowledge and common sense, there are use cases for those people where Smart Summon could have some value in specific situations (pouring rain in a deserted wide-open parking lot with relative lack of signposts, parking spot end stops, clear line of sight, etc., for example).
When you advertise something to seem more capable than it actually is, then you put in fineprint that it actually doesn't work very well. Thats something Tesla has done since the beginning of their FSD video from way back when. For the longest time some people believed Tesla had a secrete forke of FSD software that was capable of what that video showed in 2016 but they couldn't release it because of "regulations", which was the fineprint then.

Neither does summon,

Except for the dozens and dozens of cases where it has.

because I know how to use it.

Yeah. Don't. That's how to use it. Because it's crap.

I read the manual.

This is the ultimate in ignorant responses. Users that have read the manual have had their car do extremely unexpected things while summoning and "smart" summoning. The delusion some of you hold that this system is in any way reliable enough to use at all is hilarious given the evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, I look forward to your post complaining about fender damage.

Yes, it is covered on page 103 of the 2021/07/09 Owner's Manual. (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf) It's called "Summon," while the other more exciting version is called "Smart Summon."

It just moves back and forth in close to a straight line and does not steer around obstacles. Both versions can collide with objects if not used with care.

This isn't correct, strictly speaking. It will attempt to steer around obstacles, and it has hit many a garage door while "dumb" summoning. The "side clearance" is the key here, and since it uses only ultrasonics it gets tripped up if your garage floor slopes one way or another, or there's a taller lip at the entrance. We all hoped that when cameras were used for summon, it would stop steering unnecessarily and therefore stop hitting doors. Ironic that the camera solution is just as bad.

O

Oy vey. I'm done arguing. You quoted the instructions and even highlighted them. Your point subsequent merely is gainsay.
How can anyone proactively anticipate that the grass lawn, with a tree on it, is to be considered an obstacle?! A kids toy behind the tire ok, but the tree was on the lawn! Especially with all the cynical and irresponsible Tesla hype going on in addition to the false marketing, owners are mislead.

How can anyone proactively anticipate that the grass lawn, with a tree on it, is to be considered an obstacle?! A kids toy behind the tire ok, but the tree was on the lawn! Especially with all the cynical and irresponsible Tesla hype going on in addition to the false marketing, owners are mislead.
Um, by following the following instructions?
CAUTION: Ensure all cameras and sensors are clean. Dirty cameras and sensors, as well as environmental conditions such as rain and faded lane markings, can affect Autopilot performance.
WARNING: Summon is designed and intended for use only on parking lots and driveways on private property where the surrounding area is familiar and predictable.
WARNING: Summon is a BETA feature. You must continually monitor the vehicle and its surroundings and stay prepared to take immediate action at any time. It is the driver's responsibility to use Summon safely, responsibly, and as intended.
WARNING: Summon's performance depends on the ability of the ultrasonic sensors to determine the vehicle's proximity to objects, people, animals, and other vehicles.
WARNING: Parking in a narrow space limits the ability of the sensors to accurately detect the location of obstacles, increasing the risk of damage to Model 3 and/or surrounding objects.

CAUTION: Ensure all cameras and sensors are clean. Dirty cameras and sensors, as well as environmental conditions such as rain and faded lane markings, can affect Autopilot performance.
WARNING: Summon is designed and intended for use only on parking lots and driveways on private property where the surrounding area is familiar and predictable.
WARNING: Summon is a BETA feature. You must continually monitor the vehicle and its surroundings and stay prepared to take immediate action at any time. It is the driver's responsibility to use Summon safely, responsibly, and as intended.
WARNING: Summon's performance depends on the ability of the ultrasonic sensors to determine the vehicle's proximity to objects, people, animals, and other vehicles.
WARNING: Parking in a narrow space limits the ability of the sensors to accurately detect the location of obstacles, increasing the risk of damage to Model 3 and/or surrounding objects.
Doesn't say anything about driving on the lawn? I guess that would look strange, but they might consider adding thus warning. Tesla can use my text for free if they need: "WARNING: The system will sometimes drive the car over curbs, over the lawn and anywhere a car should not drive. You will not be able to recognise this before it happens as the behaviour of the car is totally random."

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
Doesn't say anything about driving on the lawn? I guess that would look strange, but they might consider adding thus warning. Tesla can use my text for free if they need: "WARNING: The system will sometimes drive the car over curbs, over the lawn and anywhere a car should not drive. You will not be able to recognise this before it happens as the behaviour of the car is totally random."
You're not going to win this argument. The manual basically says not to use it anywhere except a completely featureless parking lot and that depending on the reliability of your cellular connection it may not stop when you release the button (so you should be close enough to open the door to stop it).
I still haven't seen anyone defend Tesla for showing usage in violation of the instructions on their website.

And what exactly does this line mean?

The surrounding area is familiar
. To you or the car? I suppose to you. Ok, so you have to use it only in places where you know exactly where all the objects are and their precise distance from the other objects. Nothing can change. Parking lots must have the same objects every time or you at least have to walk the entire path first looking for hazards before engaging Summon, or Smart Summon, whichever this is.

And predictable? I presume no moving objects. Nothing sticks out at odd angles like branches or shelves? Things have to appear just as the Neural Net has been trained on, because weird things it just can't handle.

These disclaimers are really just saying 'this is useless and we know it; you had better watch it from all angles because it's gonna hit things. That's what we're saying'.

See discussion above. Did you read the Owner's manual carefully?
I see these responses a lot about the owners manual. Are you suggesting that we are supposed to commit every single thing discussed in the manual to memory? I’m not even sure they update us when there are changes made to the owners manual. How often are we supposed to reread it and check for changes?

I see these responses a lot about the owners manual. Are you suggesting that we are supposed to commit every single thing discussed in the manual to memory? I’m not even sure they update us when there are changes made to the owners manual. How often are we supposed to reread it and check for changes?
You shouldn't assume you know how things operate, especially when the word BETA is next to them. When you enable a BETA feature in the car, it tells you you should be extra careful and monitor the car's every movement. So, yes, learning before doing is a good idea. Not only for a Tesla car, but for everything in general.

As to how often should you read the manual? Once. And them revisit if you forgot something. Tesla's videos are also really good and straight to the point.
A new check on the manual is also a smart move once the feature you're interested in is featured in a changelog.

You shouldn't assume you know how things operate, especially when the word BETA is next to them. When you enable a BETA feature in the car, it tells you you should be extra careful and monitor the car's every movement. So, yes, learning before doing is a good idea. Not only for a Tesla car, but for everything in general.

As to how often should you read the manual? Once. And them revisit if you forgot something. Tesla's videos are also really good and straight to the point.
A new check on the manual is also a smart move once the feature you're interested in is featured in a changelog.
Thanks mom!

...How often are we supposed to reread it and check for changes?

...As to how often should you read the manual? Once. And them revisit if you forgot something. Tesla's videos are also really good and straight to the point.

Thanks mom!
You did ask, but I guess you didn't like the answer.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar