Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, the issue is that when used as intended (as shown on the website) it cannot be used safely and responsibly. So you're asking people to do something that is literally impossible.
Really? You are going with that? that it cannot EVER be used safely and responsibly? That's what cannot means.... NEVER. That's like saying a lawn mower or chainsaw CANNOT be used safely and responsible because you might throw a rock through a window or drop a tree over a car or shed.

Spare me the drama

Really? You are going with that? that it cannot EVER be used safely and responsibly? That's what cannot means.... NEVER. That's like saying a lawn mower or chainsaw CANNOT be used safely and responsible because you might throw a rock through a window or drop a tree over a car or shed.

Spare me the drama
That's not what I said. I said that the example shown on the website shows it being used as intended and that that example is not a safe or responsible use of the feature.
I think it can probably be used safely if it's always about ten feet from other objects. Is that the intended use case? That's certainly not how most people would interpret the website description.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’ve not seen recent example videos of smart summon using current software. Can those of you who use it regularly post some? All the ones I’ve seen are either old or in empty lots.

Not being facetious. I’ve been reluctant to use smart summon. Maybe some successful use cases would assuage those of us who are reluctant to use it.

Last edited:
I’ve not seen recent example videos of smart summon using current software. Can those of you who use it regularly post some? All the ones I’ve seen are either old or in empty lots.

Not being facetious. I’ve been reluctant to use smart summon. Maybe some successful use cases would assuage those of us who are reluctant to use it.
I have a couple of examples both being funny and actually using it to save a few steps and to entertain myself. But it's a little complicated, because you can't use and record at the same time with 1 phone.

EDIT: Can't attach a video here it seems. Sorry. I don't really want to upload it somewhere else. It's just my car picking me up at work playing ice cream truck music. It did everything right, although jerky as always.

I have a couple of examples both being funny and actually using it to save a few steps and to entertain myself. But it's a little complicated, because you can't use and record at the same time with 1 phone.

EDIT: Can't attach a video here it seems. Sorry. I don't really want to upload it somewhere else. It's just my car picking me up at work playing ice cream truck music. It did everything right, although jerky as always.
No prob. 👍

All of the fail videos could have just as easily been successful use cases. Are you asking for videos that show use cases for which there are no corresponding fail videos? Those are the ones in empty lots without light poles or curbs.

All of the fail videos could have just as easily been successful use cases. Are you asking for videos that show use cases for which there are no corresponding fail videos? Those are the ones in empty lots without light poles or curbs.
Sorry. Yes. Usage videos where there was no failure to gauge what can be done with smart summon at this point in the software development.

So looking for video of it successfully navigating a busy and full parking lot that had cars traveling through the isles and people walking. Also how people use smart summon in their garage. Or do they just use regular summon.

I've used Smart Summon a few times just for sh!ts and giggles, as recently as yesterday. After watching this video, it's clear that I should quit doing that while I'm ahead.

No, you just have to test it from INSIDE the vehicle.

Sure it defeats the purpose of it coming to you, but you can still see how well or how badly it will do.

I don't think anyone should be testing this from outside the vehicle unless they're in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Sorry. Yes. Usage videos where there was no failure to gauge what can be done with smart summon at this point in the software development.

So looking for video of it successfully navigating a busy and full parking lot that had cars traveling through the isles and people walking. Also how people use smart summon in their garage. Or do they just use regular summon.
You can use smart summon in your garage or in a busy parking lot with cars and people walking and it will work the majority of the time. It just depends on your risk tolerance because it won't work all the time. Bumper cover repairs are about $1-2k and side swipes are about $5k (not counting damage you might do to other cars).

Typically in a garage one would just use normal summons to back out or to go in. It's a bit slow to activate, and can be frustrating but it will work most of the time. Occasionally people have had it hit things so its very much a use at your risk thing.

I've seen no evidence that Tesla has updated smart summons, and likely won't be updated until FSD Beta 10 so I see no reason to test Smart Summons. This one is much harder to oversee and stop so I recommend testing this from inside the car where you can easily stop it. I haven't had much luck with this feature as it fails any "lets try this 10 times to see if it succeeds without issue 10 times" test.

The other annoyance with Smart Summons is it absolutely won't work if the parking lot you're at is not in OpenStreetMaps. I had to update the parking lot in openstreetmaps that I was testing at just to give Smart Summons a chance. It worked a lot better, but it still ultimately failed.

Smart Summons should have never been released. It simply does not match expectations of even Elon Musk himself. I would have vastly preferred a more capable basic summons, and autopark.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude

I used it daily to move my car from its parking space to the driveway leading to the street. Frequently, it would be three aisles away. Did it work 100% perfectly? No, but I recognize when it's going to take a circuitous route (for example); has it come close to scraping curbs? Not in my experience. This is with the version that was available pre-pandemic (Jan-Mar 2020); it's gotten better since then on my casual tests in other lots.

There you go again. You have video proof of someone dumb enough not to take their finger off the button having their car Smart Summon itself into sideswiping other cars? Oh please, provide the link.
There's one in this very thread: Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021
There are no ultrasonics between the front and rear wheels so it's risky to use it near cars or garage openings.
Regarding taking the finger off the button the manual says that that may not work reliably (also brought up in this thread: Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021).
And I will again point out that the intended use shown on the website is a situation where it would be impossible to see if the car was about to hit the car next to it. I guess you think people are dumb for thinking that the example shown on the website won't damage their car.

There's one in this very thread: Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021
There are no ultrasonics between the front and rear wheels so it's risky to use it near cars or garage openings.
Regarding taking the finger off the button the manual says that that may not work reliably (also brought up in this thread: Smart Summon Drove My Model Y Into A Tree - July 2021).
And I will again point out that the intended use shown on the website is a situation where it would be impossible to see if the car was about to hit the car next to it. I guess you think people are dumb for thinking that the example shown on the website won't damage their car.
A thin sapling is hardly a tree that would, in fact, be "seen" by the ultrasonics. Your other contention that using this around other cars (e.g., parked cars) is "risky?" Sorry, don't agree.

A thin sapling is hardly a tree that would, in fact, be "seen" by the ultrasonics. Your other contention that using this around other cars (e.g., parked cars) is "risky?" Sorry, don't agree.
If the ultrasonics can't reliably see a car in some situations why would I think they should reliably see a tree? My whole point is that it shouldn't be used near anything unless you've got money to burn.
Risk tolerance is subjective so I don't expect you to agree.

I just moved into a house with a garage in the back yard, and it's a TIGHT fit along side the house to the garage. I was hoping to use smart summon to back the car out of the garage and along the side of the house through the narrow part.

I thought it would be safer than me manually backing up along the tight part on the side of the house. Am I wrong?

I just moved into a house with a garage in the back yard, and it's a TIGHT fit along side the house to the garage. I was hoping to use smart summon to back the car out of the garage and along the side of the house through the narrow part.

I thought it would be safer than me manually backing up along the tight part on the side of the house. Am I wrong?
Smart summon has issues with garage openings because of the ultrasonic sensor blind spot on the side of the car. Theoretically it seems like it should be able to go down a narrow corridor but none of us know how reliably. The issue is that even if you're in position with a good view you may not be able to stop it in time if it makes an unexpected move in such a narrow space.
Here's an example of the garage opening issue:

Smart summon has issues with garage openings because of the ultrasonic sensor blind spot on the side of the car. Theoretically it seems like it should be able to go down a narrow corridor but none of us know how reliably. The issue is that even if you're in position with a good view you may not be able to stop it in time if it makes an unexpected move in such a narrow space.
Here's an example of the garage opening issue:
It’s amazing how close it gets to the side of my garage when I summon it out, but it’s been successful each time.

That said, I don’t think I’d ever try and let it make its way into the garage as close as it gets on the way out due to the potential issue you illustrated here.