Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon liability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In summon or autopilot....there is no physical driver present. My insurance company told me that the owner of the car is not the liable party when such a situation occurs such as this.

The person on the insurance policy is the liable party.

I don't understand what you're saying here. In AP (asides from summon), there is definitely a physical driver present in the front seat. In summon (at least in the 150 feet dead-man-switch line-of-sight version being described now) there is also clearly an operator (the person holding the dead man's switch). No way the person driver/operator won't be liable to a third party injured in this situation.

I'm not arguing that the driver/operator's insurance won't cover the accident (to the extent of policy limits), but that doesn't mean the driver/operator won't get sued.

I don't understand what you're saying here. In AP (asides from summon), there is definitely a physical driver present in the front seat. In summon (at least in the 150 feet dead-man-switch line-of-sight version being described now) there is also clearly an operator (the person holding the dead man's switch). No way the person driver/operator won't be liable to a third party injured in this situation.

I'm not arguing that the driver/operator's insurance won't cover the accident (to the extent of policy limits), but that doesn't mean the driver/operator won't get sued.

I didn't mean to include autopilot in my statement. I mean summon or full FSD. My apologies.