Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart summon liability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but who is responsible if smart summon fails and runs into a wall, a car, or a person? Given that it supposed to come to you from anywhere in the parking lot, I can't imagine the driver be held responsible for it. Just wondering if this has been addressed?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but who is responsible if smart summon fails and runs into a wall, a car, or a person? Given that it supposed to come to you from anywhere in the parking lot, I can't imagine the driver be held responsible for it. Just wondering if this has been addressed?

The answer you're looking for is not the one you're hoping for. :))

I can't imagine that the regulators will allow this feature to be implemented the way it is described. No way Tesla's AI is ready yet to reliably pilot a car around a parking lot without a person in the driver's seat (let alone without an operator within view of the car).

And if, by chance, Tesla is allowed to release it, there's no way any parking lot operator would want it used in their lot.

I can't imagine that the regulators will allow this feature to be implemented the way it is described. No way Tesla's AI is ready yet to reliably pilot a car around a parking lot without a person in the driver's seat (let alone without an operator within view of the car).

And if, by chance, Tesla is allowed to release it, there's no way any parking lot operator would want it used in their lot.

THE REGULATORS!!!!!!111one

God, Elon has you people saying it like it's some secretive cabal taking turns biting the charred corpse of a 666-hour-old goat under the new moon at midnight and plotting on how to either ally with or screw Tesla.

THE REGULATORS!!!!!!111one

God, Elon has you people saying it like it's some secretive cabal taking turns biting the charred corpse of a 666-hour-old goat under the new moon at midnight and plotting on how to either ally with or screw Tesla.

That's silly...

I'm just saying that if Tesla is so reckless as to release an essentially fully autonomous parking lot mode, it is highly likely that a regulator will step in.

That's silly...

I'm just saying that if Tesla is so reckless as to release an essentially fully autonomous parking lot mode, it is highly likely that a regulator will step in.

It may not be that simple, due to structure of laws regarding private property in so many places.

That said, Elon has claimed already that LOS REGULADORES have supposedly approved advanced summon in one of their goat-bite darkness festivals.

It may not be that simple, due to structure of laws regarding private property in so many places.

That said, Elon has claimed already that LOS REGULADORES have supposedly approved advanced summon in one of their goat-bite darkness festivals.
MUUUUUHHAAHAHAHA! our time has come! mere mortals will bow! or roll shopping carts in front of our cars just to see what happens.
i'm guessing the later....?

...I can't imagine the driver be held responsible for it...

Why imagine when you can read from the ordering page:

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

In summary: Driver is responsible.

BTW, what's considered parking lot? Would a parking structure considered a parking lot? Would it limit itself to just one floor or can it go up and down the structure? Does it need GPS coverage? Also, there are quite a few parking lots I know of that has one way only lanes, so would it be able to deal wit this?

This will be the main feature that'll push me to order FSD if it works. But I am wondering what the potential limitations are?

Why imagine when you can read from the ordering page:

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."

In summary: Driver is responsible.

It makes 100% sense that driver is responsible for all FSD features except for smart summon. If you are in the opposite side of the parking lot and can't see your car, how can you use smart summon if you need to monitor it? And that also means it won't work in a parking structure since there is a very high chance your car will be on the different floor than you?

...If you are in the opposite side of the parking lot and can't see your car, how can you use smart summon if you need to monitor it? And that also means it won't work in a parking structure since there is a very high chance your car will be on the different floor than you?

It doesn't matter whether the driver is inside of the car or outside of the car.

The driver can be inside of the car but in the back seat and I could argue that there's no one driving the car and I was laying down so how could I see the road!

Again:

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous."

Currently, Tesla's definition is very clear: "not ...autonomous".

It doesn't matter whether the driver is inside of the car or outside of the car.

The driver can be inside of the car but in the back seat and I could argue that there's no one driving the car and I was laying down so how could I see the road!

Again:

"The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous."

Currently, Tesla's definition is very clear: "not ...autonomous".

But wouldn't that mean new summon feature can't work as stated on the order page?

• Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

But wouldn't that mean new summon feature can't work as stated on the order page?

• Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

It works as advertised the same way as there have been Autopilot crashes. Really!

There have been plenty of summoning crashes already. Really.

It's the same way that people have been relying on the backup safety system of Tesla Automatic Emergency Braking and wonder why the AEB didn't brake to avoid crashes. Really.

Users need to read what's the catch.

Tesla says its Full Self-Driving is not "vehicle autonomous" and that is the catch. Really.

It's been demonstrated that the HW2/2.5 camera setup has blind spots that would make self-navigating parking lots very dangerous.

@AnxietyRanger you had a picture of these blind spots in front corners, near bumper. @Bladerskb you discussed a video that showed how the camera view is when backing out from between two parked cars

HW 2.5 has a full 360 degree view of objects 1 foot out. The blind spots you are talking about are for objects within 1 foot. All you need to do is imagine that the car is actually 2 feet wider and longer. Then no blind spots.

• Helpful
Reactions: lunitiks

My insurance company says that any version of summon is insured as though the policy owner is sitting in the seat.

It's been demonstrated that the HW2/2.5 camera setup has blind spots that would make self-navigating parking lots very dangerous.

@AnxietyRanger you had a picture of these blind spots in front corners, near bumper. @Bladerskb you discussed a video that showed how the camera view is when backing out from between two parked cars

I almost exclusively use the back-up camera for backing out now because of its super wide angle perspective. It can see around the cars parked next to me way before I can. If I back out slowly and look at the camera, I can tell if a car is going by. Neither the rear view mirror or turning my head would help me see.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will