Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do that now, at least on S/X. Basically get lined up straight into the spot (either using auto park or not), cancel, leave it in reverse (or forward if you pulled in straight yourself) and double-tap park. You'll get a confirmation on the MCU saying please exit the vehicle. It will then park itself once you close the door.

My hope is that this next update will let you get out of the car as soon as it finds a spot and complete the whole maneuver in 1 step.

The big problem with it right now is it relies on other vehicles to help guide it into a spot.

Then it's a hassle to even get it to recognize a spot even when cars are where they need to be.

I haven't tried getting out the car for parking. I know I can summons it from out of the car, but I've never seen parking done from outside of the car. Like the car doing the auto park where it reverses into perpendicular parking.

Using the cameras opens up so many new possibilities. Can't wait to try it out.

I probably won't use it from out of the car without a Fob though. I don't trust using the phone with the model 3.

The big problem with it right now is it relies on other vehicles to help guide it into a spot.

Then it's a hassle to even get it to recognize a spot even when cars are where they need to be.

I haven't tried getting out the car for parking. I know I can summons it from out of the car, but I've never seen parking done from outside of the car. Like the car doing the auto park where it reverses into perpendicular parking.

Using the cameras opens up so many new possibilities. Can't wait to try it out.

I probably won't use it from out of the car without a Fob though. I don't trust using the phone with the model 3.

I've used it a handful of times to get myself into a tight space. It's not ideal, since you do either have to start parking or use autopark/cancel to get it lined up straight (it won't "turn" any more than regular summon will). For the one use case of "the only spot available is small enough I'd be uncomfortable getting out" it's pretty sweet, though.

I'm interested in how the sign reading for parking is going to work. There's a street by my work that is "Permit Parking Only", but I wonder how the car will know if you have a valid permit. Or like a 20 Minute Parking spot, how the car will know how long you will be there? Maybe it could send a photo of the sign to the mobile app and ask the user if it can park there. At any rate, it should be interesting.

I'm interested in how the sign reading for parking is going to work. There's a street by my work that is "Permit Parking Only", but I wonder how the car will know if you have a valid permit. Or like a 20 Minute Parking spot, how the car will know how long you will be there? Maybe it could send a photo of the sign to the mobile app and ask the user if it can park there. At any rate, it should be interesting.

Easy, after 20 minutes, it just pulls out on its own and finds another parking spot. :)

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not sure why it's geofenced to exclude the rest of the world

Not sure about other parts of the world, but the UK has some specific legal requirements that the key fob alone does not meet (in fact, prior to June 2018 remote operation of a car from a phone was technically illegal).

It requires continuous activation (I think this one would be met as I believe you have to hold the button down - being in the UK, I've not been able to try it!).

It requires a signal to be maintained. I believe the key fob transmits "button pressed" and "button released" as two separate signals so if the key fob battery died or went out of range between the press and release, the car would not stop and thus it does not meet this requirement. The mobile phone can maintain a signal and thus in theory meets the UK legal requirements (please don't tell the lawyers about time how packet radio networks such as GSM and Bluetooth work, I think its considered effectively continuous if you can't see the gaps).

The distance between the motor vehicle and the operating device is not more than 6 metres (19.6 feet). I doubt either the phone or the fob can measure distances that accurately, but presumably that is just an offence the operator might commit if they are two far away and not a technical requirement to be implemented.

UK Amendment to the law that allows it's use: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/592/pdfs/uksi_20180592_en.pdf