Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
Elon is back at it. He's announced Summon will start to use the autopilot cameras instead of just relying on ultrasonics alone.

He's wisely not provided further details (though we can assume 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely). He did not elaborate on whether HW3 will be required or whether it is to come with the previously announced v10 FSD suite.

Twitter

Let the speculation begin! :D

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I think he's just stating the obvious. At some point between now and full-self-driving autonomous taxi fleet, summon will work its way over to the cameras. It can only get so good on ultrasonics alone and they have pretty much maxed that.

This time he was wise to not give a timeframe tho.

Love or hate his twitter fingers... I'll bet the software was farther along when v9 dropped a couple of weeks ago than it would have been if they had been working towards an end of year release schedule.

Interesting management style that strikes me as being effective in the short term but prone to burning people out long term.

• Love
Reactions: PaulJohn
I personally would be glad with the connection issues being fixed so that summon can be used more consistently, without needing to attempt to connect to the vehicle 4-8 times first. Yes, will be super glad for camera based summon upgrades too.

In the US the key fob works great. I'm not sure why it's geofenced to exclude the rest of the world but smart summon should be able to evaluate it's surroundings and push through inclines it small bumps unlike ultrasonics alone.

Reactions: Superendo
In the US the key fob works great. I'm not sure why it's geofenced to exclude the rest of the world but smart summon should be able to evaluate it's surroundings and push through inclines it small bumps unlike ultrasonics alone.
Good to know. The Model 3 doesn't "yet" have a keyfob, so that isn't currently an option for us. Lots of speculation about keyfobs becoming available for the 3 at some point.

Good to know. The Model 3 doesn't "yet" have a keyfob, so that isn't currently an option for us. Lots of speculation about keyfobs becoming available for the 3 at some point.

Yes unfortunately the app rarely works for me . Tough to even connect and then disconnects while summoning. Key fob is flawless but summon itself has tremendous limitations that hopefully will be lifted when cameras augment ultrasonics.

Sources say that Smart Summon was supposed to be a part of v9 launch just like Autopilot on Nav. Seems like v9 was not supposed to come out until the end of year but Twitter-fingers Elon jumped the gun and here is what we have! :(
Any details on what smart summon entailed? Such as what its capabilities were? This is the first time I've heard such a rumor.

Any details on what smart summon entailed? Such as what its capabilities were? This is the first time I've heard such a rumor.

Tesla describes smart summon as regular summon but using cameras to go around obstacles. Elon said it would go to anywhere but Tesla's order page was obviously more cirumscribed.

This feature should be the foundation for parking hunting as shown in the fsd video.

Yes, Smart Summon will use the cameras to navigate more complex scenarios other than forward and backward. Smart Summon will also allow you to summon your car from greater distances. Elon, said you could summon your car from across the country but I doubt that will be in v1 of Smart Summon ;)

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
D45391BD-7F30-42DF-B689-EF1D0805F0EB.jpeg
Here’s the tweet.

I wouldn't even mind a summons that basically did the same thing as it does today, but did it easily and quickly.

I'd also like self-parking that allowed me to get out of the car.

You can do that now, at least on S/X. Basically get lined up straight into the spot (either using auto park or not), cancel, leave it in reverse (or forward if you pulled in straight yourself) and double-tap park. You'll get a confirmation on the MCU saying please exit the vehicle. It will then park itself once you close the door.

My hope is that this next update will let you get out of the car as soon as it finds a spot and complete the whole maneuver in 1 step.