Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly interior on recirc or during a rain

austinEV

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 16, 2013
Austin
Hey I was curious if I was the only one having this issue. My car is an elderly 3 year old model S, but it started doing this as early as a year ago when it was only two. If I put the A/C on recirc the car smells foul, like an old shoe or just musty. It is really bad if it is raining so the humidity is higher. I keep it pretty clean and get it detailed fairly often, it isn't like I have rotten food in there or a gym bag, nothing contained in the car should be doing it. I feel like there is some musty pool condensate somewhere. Thoughts?

lorih

May 12, 2013
We had an issue with mold in our garage. I am EXTREMELY allergic to mold. After a few months, I started coughing as soon as I go into the Model S.

I called our detailed, explained, and they said they would do a clean air service. They basically use a non-toxic citrus cleaner to clear your sir circulation system. Kills mold and mildew, but nonToxic.

It worked great for us. Very very faint citrus smell remained after cleaning, but hardly noticible, and smelled pleasent like lemon blossoms.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX

austinEV

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 16, 2013
Austin
For some reason I thought this was unique to our cars, but a (should have done this first sorry) Google search shows that it is common and there are mildew killing spray products. I will give one a try and report back!

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like mildew. This happened to my Volkswagen Jetta. I ran the fan with fresh air on and stood outside with a can of Lysol, gently spraying towards the intake vents. That helped a lot.

austinEV

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 16, 2013
Austin
So a post script. I took my car in for an unrelated issue (battery contactor/switch failed? vague on what this was exactly) but they noted that the drain hose had an issue and they replaced it with a longer one to "not drain on top of the battery". Sounds like I did in fact have a moisture buildup issue. Hopefully that was the root cause.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC