TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Smelly interior on recirc or during a rain

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by austinEV, Aug 15, 2016.

1. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

Hey I was curious if I was the only one having this issue. My car is an elderly 3 year old model S, but it started doing this as early as a year ago when it was only two. If I put the A/C on recirc the car smells foul, like an old shoe or just musty. It is really bad if it is raining so the humidity is higher. I keep it pretty clean and get it detailed fairly often, it isn't like I have rotten food in there or a gym bag, nothing contained in the car should be doing it. I feel like there is some musty pool condensate somewhere. Thoughts?

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

have you ever replaced the filters? is there any evidence of leakage?

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Time to trade in for a new model with bio-weapon defense mode? :)

4. lorih

lorih Member

We had an issue with mold in our garage. I am EXTREMELY allergic to mold. After a few months, I started coughing as soon as I go into the Model S.

I called our detailed, explained, and they said they would do a clean air service. They basically use a non-toxic citrus cleaner to clear your sir circulation system. Kills mold and mildew, but nonToxic.

It worked great for us. Very very faint citrus smell remained after cleaning, but hardly noticible, and smelled pleasent like lemon blossoms.

• Informative x 1
  5. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

For some reason I thought this was unique to our cars, but a (should have done this first sorry) Google search shows that it is common and there are mildew killing spray products. I will give one a try and report back!

6. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

If you'd like someone to fix it, locate someone who uses DrivePur. The stuff is legit and every time we've used it it worked wonders.

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Sounds like mildew. This happened to my Volkswagen Jetta. I ran the fan with fresh air on and stood outside with a can of Lysol, gently spraying towards the intake vents. That helped a lot.

8. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

9. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

So a post script. I took my car in for an unrelated issue (battery contactor/switch failed? vague on what this was exactly) but they noted that the drain hose had an issue and they replaced it with a longer one to "not drain on top of the battery". Sounds like I did in fact have a moisture buildup issue. Hopefully that was the root cause.