Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly interior on recirc or during a rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

austinEV

May 16, 2013
Austin
Hey I was curious if I was the only one having this issue. My car is an elderly 3 year old model S, but it started doing this as early as a year ago when it was only two. If I put the A/C on recirc the car smells foul, like an old shoe or just musty. It is really bad if it is raining so the humidity is higher. I keep it pretty clean and get it detailed fairly often, it isn't like I have rotten food in there or a gym bag, nothing contained in the car should be doing it. I feel like there is some musty pool condensate somewhere. Thoughts?

We had an issue with mold in our garage. I am EXTREMELY allergic to mold. After a few months, I started coughing as soon as I go into the Model S.

I called our detailed, explained, and they said they would do a clean air service. They basically use a non-toxic citrus cleaner to clear your sir circulation system. Kills mold and mildew, but nonToxic.

It worked great for us. Very very faint citrus smell remained after cleaning, but hardly noticible, and smelled pleasent like lemon blossoms.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
For some reason I thought this was unique to our cars, but a (should have done this first sorry) Google search shows that it is common and there are mildew killing spray products. I will give one a try and report back!

So a post script. I took my car in for an unrelated issue (battery contactor/switch failed? vague on what this was exactly) but they noted that the drain hose had an issue and they replaced it with a longer one to "not drain on top of the battery". Sounds like I did in fact have a moisture buildup issue. Hopefully that was the root cause.