Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains 21 Turbines, Learn from my mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of used 19" Cyclones with Gen2 TPMS sensors and Michelin M&S rated tires off a local eBay seller a couple of years ago for our our 2015 P85D in for about the same amount of your repairs. Probably cheaper now on eBay, Craigslist, and maybe even TMC. We used these on our away from SoCal road trips including a winter snowboard trip to Denver via Breckenridge which had lots of snow. No chains required. Our AWD P85D drove through 6" snow better than our Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 too.

Good news is Tesla snow chains are possible with 19" Tesla wheels:.Model S Snow Chains

View attachment 493823

I’ll definitely be looking for a set of 19’s with M/S tires in the future as I love taking my S everywhere.

Update - Friday 1/3/2020 I received an email that my parts arrived. Lucky I was able to get out of work and head over to the dealer to pick up my parts. I was able to get some rack time at my friends shop. I was expecting about 1 hour per side to complete the install. I was actually able to install both lower control arms and links in about 1 hour. I've said it before and will say it again don't be afraid to work on your Tesla its just a car. I actually find it easier to work on than most German and American cars.

Update 2 - While the car was down I got the itch to modify it, I ordered the Unplugged Performance Lowering kit for it and will be installing along with new 20" rims and tires. (Decided to step down from 21" rims as tires are expensive and I drive a little over 100 miles round trip daily. So the price of the 20" rims will recoup after a few tire changes... thats what I told my girl anyway

Final update - thankfully I finally got everything done on my M S this past week, now I can park my ICE car again. I installed the Unplugged Performance brackets and new 20" rims and tires. Pictured below is on "Low" setting.

Attachments

• IMG_6605.jpg
    IMG_6605.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm glad you got this all fixed, and your car looks great! Just curious, from your knowledge what is it about "normal" chains that cause damage on a Tesla? Is the suspension much closer to the wheel, such that the inside chain can impact when spinning?

I'm glad you got this all fixed, and your car looks great! Just curious, from your knowledge what is it about "normal" chains that cause damage on a Tesla? Is the suspension much closer to the wheel, such that the inside chain can impact when spinning?

It has to do with how far the chains wrap around the wheel assembly for what I can tell. So with the cables that are wrapping far on the inside of the wheel in combination with how wide the lower control arms are causes them to rub against each-other.

As other have stated the 19" rims can use chains due to the taller side wall but only specific ones to my understanding.

Thanks for the compliment

Bumping this thread with my own update (btw, hi!)

tl;dr: I found some that work on 21" twin turbine wheels (YMMV - at your own risk, I guess)

I have read and understand for AWD with proper tires I don't need chains, and yet it may be required by law, it also gives me peace of mind! Thanks to this and another thread I learned a few things:
  • Normal chains would mess up the car
  • Most chains only work on 19" or even 21" tires
  • No all-weather tires (only all-season) were available for 265/35-21
I was sad but still tried to search as I didn't want to replace the tires for aesthetic reasons and I didn't want to store/swap the wheels given I live in PNW where I may only need traction when going to do snowsports, so.. only for a few weekends at most so it's very inconvenient to swap and very wasteful to get winter tires.

On König's website it says the K-summit XL K55 fits, however sellers and even their manual do NOT include the 265/35-21 measurements, so I just took a gamble and got some from etrailer.

Now.. the problem with the lack of these tire sizes in the manual is that the chain can be configured by removing some springs (installation video, starts at 5:40) and I didn't know how many, so I did a trial & error. Note that configuring your chain too narrow could damage the chain and burst open potentially damaging the car, so in hindsight this was stupid, but I concluded I had to remove all 4 springs that can be safely removed, but note: 265/35-21 is not in the manual, so be careful!

At 3-springs-removed the fit was just not possible, but at 4-springs-removed IT DOES FIT snuggly!
However I wanted reassurance so I used a tire diameter calculator to compare my tires against the ones documented in the manual using the calculator. Based only on that, the chain seems to gain ~2.5mm diameter (~1cm circumference) for every removed spring. If I trust the calculator, my tires (265/35-21) are right in between 265/40-20 and 265/30-22 (+-1.1mm respectively)

Therefore in my testing, the König summit XL K55 does fit the rear tires for the Model S 21" twin turbine staggered tires, with the 4 springs removed configuration (265/35-21). BUT... it is not documented in their manual, so use at your own risk!

PS - I used the 21-22mm nut clamps with the gray/medium bolt.

Attachments

• konig-sizing.png
    konig-sizing.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 81
  • konig-springs.png
    konig-springs.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: chingwodapigu
> Most chains only work on 19" or even 21" tires

I meant 19" and 20" tires. Not 21"

Another thing to add, the manual highlights that for M+S tires driving over 300 meters you may need to remove another "element" (the spring thingies)

Another update on K-summit XL K55, I switched tires from OEM Continental summer tires to Michelin all season, both 265/35-21

The chains did not fit anymore unless I removed 2 more pins for a total of 6 removed.
You are only supposed to remove 4 pins safely not 6 so it definitely works, and it's probably ok, but again, buy at your own risk, maybe get the next chains set in size

That sucks and this is exactly why i have a second set of rims with my snow tires on them that i swap out before snow travels. its only like a grand and it would've saved you from this happening. Glad you didn't have a accident from the breakage though.