Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains 21 Turbines, Learn from my mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was invited to visit family up in Big Bear CA 12/23 -12/24 as my luck would have it snow was on forecast. As it was short notice I did not have time to research/order chains that have been verified by forum members. I headed down to the local parts store and provided them with my tire size and they provided me with belt style chains. I made it up to the cabin 12/23 with no issues nor need to use chains as the roads were clear. Today 12/24 when I was going to depart I checked the CalTrans App and seen that chains are required for vehicles even if AWD if you ado not have M/T tires ( I do not have M/T tires. I installed the chains on the rear tires and headed down the mountain. The roads were Icy so I was glad I had installed the chains until about 3 miles down I heard a "POP" in the rear I immediately pulled over as there was a turnout and tried to look under the rear of the car but couldn't see anything. The roads seemed to have been a little clear now so i removed the chains and kept heading down.

I arrived home ok, I then went to depart again about an hour later and was on the highway behind a semi when I signaled then accelerated to pass I felt the rear squat and shift right thus forcing the car to veer left. I thought maybe it was the road so I slowed down maintained lane and attempted to accelerate again which yielded the same result. I had my car towed to my friends shop. The pictures below is the result of the damage that was caused.

Both of the Lower control arms as well as Integral Links need to be changed now. This is completely my own fault and I am lucky I did not get into/ cause an accident (most of the mountain driving was around 25 mph).

2014 Model S P85D, 21' turbines and Air Suspension

Attachments

• Image from iOS (4).jpg
    Image from iOS (4).jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 888
  • Image from iOS (3).jpg
    Image from iOS (3).jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 585
  • Image from iOS (2).jpg
    Image from iOS (2).jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 609
  • Image from iOS (1).jpg
    Image from iOS (1).jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 599
  • Informative
Reactions: FairWeatherFan
Was invited to visit family up in Big Bear CA 12/23 -12/24 as my luck would have it snow was on forecast. As it was short notice I did not have time to research/order chains that have been verified by forum members. I headed down to the local parts store and provided them with my tire size and they provided me with belt style chains. I made it up to the cabin 12/23 with no issues nor need to use chains as the roads were clear. Today 12/24 when I was going to depart I checked the CalTrans App and seen that chains are required for vehicles even if AWD if you ado not have M/T tires ( I do not have M/T tires. I installed the chains on the rear tires and headed down the mountain. The roads were Icy so I was glad I had installed the chains until about 3 miles down I heard a "POP" in the rear I immediately pulled over as there was a turnout and tried to look under the rear of the car but couldn't see anything. The roads seemed to have been a little clear now so i removed the chains and kept heading down.

I arrived home ok, I then went to depart again about an hour later and was on the highway behind a semi when I signaled then accelerated to pass I felt the rear squat and shift right thus forcing the car to veer left. I thought maybe it was the road so I slowed down maintained lane and attempted to accelerate again which yielded the same result. I had my car towed to my friends shop. The pictures below is the result of the damage that was caused.

Both of the Lower control arms as well as Integral Links need to be changed now. This is completely my own fault and I am lucky I did not get into/ cause an accident (most of the mountain driving was around 25 mph).

2014 Model S P85D, 21' turbines and Air Suspension

Sorry to hear about your experience... hopefully you saved someone on TMC from a similar fate!

Reactions: Bueno
Perhaps worth an insurance claim?

Also, you'll need an alignment as well, that's another $200+. Be sure to check the front suspension and fender liners as well.

Lastly, I'm surprised you didn't hear anything as you drove while all this damage was taking place. Was the radio on, or was there just too much other stuff going on to notice?

Thanks!

Update - ordered parts for a grand total of $926 and 8-10 business days for delivery so it looks like I’ll be back in my ICE car for a bit.

I bought a set of used 19" Cyclones with Gen2 TPMS sensors and Michelin M&S rated tires off a local eBay seller a couple of years ago for our our 2015 P85D in for about the same amount of your repairs. Probably cheaper now on eBay, Craigslist, and maybe even TMC. We used these on our away from SoCal road trips including a winter snowboard trip to Denver via Breckenridge which had lots of snow. No chains required. Our AWD P85D drove through 6" snow better than our Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 too.

Good news is Tesla snow chains are possible with 19" Tesla wheels:.Model S Snow Chains

IMG_4137.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Bueno
Perhaps worth an insurance claim?

Also, you'll need an alignment as well, that's another $200+. Be sure to check the front suspension and fender liners as well.

Lastly, I'm surprised you didn't hear anything as you drove while all this damage was taking place. Was the radio on, or was there just too much other stuff going on to notice?

Thanks!

Not worth insurance claim in my case as my friend is letting me use his shop to fix it. I’ll be throwing it on his alignment rack as well to put it back in spec.

I visually looked at all 4 suspension sets and seen no damage (didn’t expect any as chains were only on rear).

Didn’t hear anything concerning, mostly heard snow and ice being flung and chains crunching in the snow. On top of that I had a car full of people/luggage.